1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Dalton - shell cordovan in walnut

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by swiego, Dec 2, 2011.

1. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

2. swiego

swiego Senior member

OP here. Well, my second (replacement) pair came in. According to the manager, this pair received a personal, periodic inspection from the head of QA during its assembly.

In a nutshell, they are much improved. The finishing is more even, the shoe looks cleaner. The stitching is much improved... stitching no longer veers off in strange directions. The soles are the same thickness, and the sides are actually painted properly this time. They are lasted more properly now, with no weird bulbous spots. They fit quite comfortably compared to the old pair, which is surprising given that they are the same size.

Apparently the cordovan is softer, particular on the tongue. As it was explained to me, leather was/is hung/rolled to loosen fibers. The tongue is indeed much softer, and much more comfortable than before. I wish I had the old pair handy, because this pair has a different look... narrower and more curvaceous I suppose? It definitely looks cleaner.

Not all is perfect. Personal inspection during assembly didn't stop loose threads from jutting out everywhere, several pieces of leather that aren't quite aligned properly, there's one missing brogue punch on the toe cap of the right shoe, and so on. I'd say that whereas the previous pair had the look of a junior high school kid's shoe project, this one looks like the work of a college junior who wants to do well but is in a bit of a rush. In other words, it's much better, but if this weren't shell cordovan, I would have walked out feeling a bit disappointed. However, with the loose threads snipped, and a thorough brushing, they look great!

Needless to say, I'm satisfied and am keeping them!

I'm told that a walnut cordovan cream is coming from AE in the near future.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

good thing it turned out well.

The different thickness in sole is a big f*cking problem. Everything else, IMHO, is acceptable for AE.

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Glad to hear it turned out well for you! Your second pair sounds a lot like mine. The space in the heel area is still bothering me and I will make it to the cobbler sooner than later to have him fill the area in with veg tan leather. I put Vibram half soles on but they are still slick on ice so will end up sending them to Nick in NYC for Commando soles this spring. Last week got my order from Kirby (Hanger Project) and treated mine with Reno and it really brought out the black on the edges and else where dramatically. You had mentioned elsewhere the thought of using wax to help with water welts and I agree. Got the MDO Cognac (#10) and after a couple of coats they look like glass. I put many hours into the brushing before hand though. And after the Reno, resting and waxing. Happy to hear that things have turned out well for you, and hope you get as much enjoyment out of them as I do mine which I wore once again today with Khaki dress pants. The looks and compliments were worth every penny.

5. swiego

swiego Senior member

Thanks for sharing your experiences with shoe care; I have been wondering what creams or waxes to use with them.

My heel is a bit loose as well. It does not seem to bother me much; because the boots are tied above the ankle, there is very little slip. Nevertheless I have noticed the looseness, and have wondered how they would wear had there been more padding/lining in the back.

I'm looking forward to wearing these tomorrow. I never wore the previous pair (except at home on carpet) because I was uncomfortable with them from the start and considering returning them, so I am doubly excited about putting some wear on them.

6. swiego

swiego Senior member

I wore them today!

They were exceptionally comfortable. However, I discovered that driving a two-seat sports car with these things on does not work well; I am used to ankle flex while shifting and that was not possible with these things laced up. I actually ended up pulling over and loosening them up. Not a big deal, though, and they looked fabulous and remained comfortable throughout the day. I can see how these are not going to be fun to wear in the summer. Otherwise, I think they are an incredible value.

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

You should switch to a 4 seat sports car, they are far easier to drive with boots on.

8. swiego

swiego Senior member

So, has anyone managed to find an AE cream or polish for these?

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I plan to just use a damp rag and horsehair brush for daily clean-up, and put a little saphir renovateur 2x per year to re-moisturize. I'm also toying with the idea of some brown paste wax on certain parts, if I want to get creative.

10. Cordovanman

Cordovanman New Member

Just got mine...seconds for $299 that I cannot see any real blemishes! Lucked
    out I guess...
    They are awesome and feel great. I am very happy with the purchase. I have the Alden Shell Plain Toe in Color 8 and find them to be awesome as well! I am gotten great deals on Cordovan Cap Toes from BB so I have both Black and Color 8 as well as the Cordovan 987 Loafer in Color 8 and for the sale prices you could not go wrong ever on Shell Cordovan! Was lucky to get some Ron Rider Shell Loafers in Shell Cordovan Black and Brown and they are great quality. Trying to get a pair of Rider Shell Boots to compare to AE and Alden.

Hope everyone enjoys the Shell Daltons like I do!

Cordovanman

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Been lurking for some time; felt I had to join as I have learned so much from everyone. My Dalton's (regular calf) just shipped today. But what happened a couple of days ago is I was surprised that AE had the Dalton in walnut shell in my size! So I impetuously ordered a pair. I will therefore have both pairs in a few days to compare (and realistically, one pair will have to go back as it makes no sense to keep both). Based on what I've read, it's probably going to be a no-brainer as to which to keep. They will be my first shells.

But my question is --- other than the upper being shell cordovan (and I think I've read the soles are Reidenbach?, whatever that means), what are the other differences between the calf and the shells? Anything else?

Thanks.

12. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yes, obviously the upper leather is different. AE also puts J. Rendendbach soles on their shell offerings, these are the best available. Best because they are a more dense leather, which gives you more support and makes them last longer.

Also, the upper on the shell cordovan boots are not lined, the calfskin are lined. Unlined shell boots are more flexible, and will fit to your foot and ankle better over time. They are actually also cooler than the lined calfskin boots, so they can be worn comfortably in warmer weather.

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks for the info. Can't wait for them to arrive!