• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Dalton - shell cordovan in walnut

swiego

Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

I'm a bit concerned about mine. The soles are actually different, one of mine is thicker than the other:

Also, the tongues on both shoes are pretty curled up and scuffed. This is new, out of the box, not worn, although granted this wouldn't keep me up at night since this is covered up by the pants, but still:

The edges lips aren't painted the same; black on one shoe, brown or unpainted on another; I can fix this easily enough but it seems like something you'd expect a limited edition "flagship" shoe to have addressed before leaving the factory:

And lots of other detail that just seems a bit shoddy (below). Am I expecting too much? On the one hand, these are a great deal... probably the lowest MSRP shell boots I've seen in some time. I also love the color and overall look. On the other hand, it is somewhat disheartening to look close and see so many... loose details. I'm a bit torn right now.

What I'd like to know is whether (a) i'm nitpicking on details and overall this is a good value in spite of these things I see, (b) others have a very clean assembly and I just got a weird pair or (c) I should expect better finish at $600, even with cordovan, and should continue looking/waiting. I'll contact AE and try to get their opinion, and I have no doubt they will do what it takes to make everyone happy, but I don't want to be "that customer" who is getting the same product that everyone else did but seeing lots of little faults and flaws in it. If others' boots are cleaner than this, then I'll take a hard stance with AE to have them replaced or addressed. If others' boots are similar and the owners still feel they got a good value, then I'll have to do some soul searching about whether I'm comfortable with this finish at this price point, or whether I should look elsewhere but at a much higher cost.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the information.
I'm a bit concerned about mine. The soles are actually different, one of mine is thicker than the other:

Also, the tongues on both shoes are pretty curled up and scuffed. This is new, out of the box, not worn, although granted this wouldn't keep me up at night since this is covered up by the pants, but still:

The edges lips aren't painted the same; black on one shoe, brown or unpainted on another; I can fix this easily enough but it seems like something you'd expect a limited edition "flagship" shoe to have addressed before leaving the factory:

And lots of other detail that just seems a bit shoddy (below). Am I expecting too much? On the one hand, these are a great deal... probably the lowest MSRP shell boots I've seen in some time. I also love the color and overall look. On the other hand, it is somewhat disheartening to look close and see so many... loose details. I'm a bit torn right now.
What I'd like to know is whether (a) i'm nitpicking on details and overall this is a good value in spite of these things I see, (b) others have a very clean assembly and I just got a weird pair or (c) I should expect better finish at $600, even with cordovan, and should continue looking/waiting.

Are you able to exchange them for a new pair of the same shoes? If so, that might be something to try. If not, you will need to decide if you can live with those variences/defects I guess. If not, return them for a refund.

Mazderati

Reaction score
I really like AE, but their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. I've exchanged several new pair because of what should be obvious defects: misaligned toe caps and tongues, uneven stitching, linings that aren't attached properly, and even a piece of split leather across the vamp of a loafer. I'd give the boots another shot and make an exchange.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really like AE, but their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. I've exchanged several new pair because of what should be obvious defects: misaligned toe caps and tongues, uneven stitching, linings that aren't attached properly, and even a piece of split leather across the vamp of a loafer. I'd give the boots another shot and make an exchange.

I agree. I recently got a bit in to it with one of the sales guys at the San Francisco location on a pair of Leeds I brought back.

He kept trying to argue that its normal to see some variances in the leather since its a natural product, etc. But the greater issue was that some stitching was loose on the shoe. He said ok fine but a new pair may also have leather imperfections that are worse than this pair. Instead of continuing to argue with him I said just refund me and don't order an exchange then, which he did and seemed happy to do.

I think he didn't want to see me back in the store again with more issues.

First bad experience I had with AE.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This evidence should be presented to CEO Grangaard on the AAAC forum he frequents. I suspect AE is expanding too fast now (like Alden) and cannot keep up the quality control to match the growth of output as people move back to real shoes.

swiego

Reaction score

This evidence should be presented to CEO Grangaard on the AAAC forum he frequents. I suspect AE is expanding too fast now (like Alden) and cannot keep up the quality control to match the growth of output as people move back to real shoes.

I sent the pictures to him by email after receiving the boots, in hopes of getting some guidance. I decided to post them here because I need my expectations to be calibrated. I do not want to be a pain to him or the company for haggling on minute defects, if that is what these are. The sense I have from the previous posts so far is that for $600, these probably should be a bit cleaner?

One thing I did mention in my email to him and will mention here as well is that AE's ability to deliver these boots in a few weeks was extraordinary. C&J was telling me it could be 11 months to get the Harlech, which was their equivalent. I would happily have waited an extra few weeks if it would have meant a more cleanly finished pair of boots. I wonder whether AE is trying to crank these out so quickly that the quality is suffering. I wonder whether 12/23 delivery promise was a bit too aggressive, and forced them to rush.

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
The sole thickness and coloring issues would be frustrating. The others look like issues that tend to crop up when working with cordovan and things that will be unnoticeable once the boots are broken in. Thanks for posting the pics - I am really liking this color.

I would exchange due to the sole issues. These are your boots, and it was your $600. You need to be happy with them or keep exchanging. AEs customer service is legendary. I know Paul has made himself available to us, but I'd start with their normal customer service # instead. They'll make you happy one way or another.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bucksfan echoed my sentiments exactly. I have a pair of Shelton in burgundy and black where the dye from the black section carried over into the burgundy area. Figured I could live with it as most people will not notice it. 3 years later I still notice it every time I put them on. This winter I will likely finally strip them and try to correct it, or take them into my cobbler to do so. The lacing on my left Bayfield is not perfectly aligned but it is border line enough that I think most people will not notice it either. They fit me so well that I didn't want to take a chance on another pair. When my shell Bradley finally show up I will be doing a very detailed inspection out of the box. Overall I am pleased with the AE quality of the 11 pair that I own. That will likely be 10 pair as the Cascade boots turned out to be much longer than I expected, but that is a fit and design issue not a manufacturing process issue. The Dalton I will have a veg tanned liner put in the rear quarter if I can find someone that will, but agree for what I also consider as a flagship boot it should not fit as loose as it does on most people in that area.

On my shell shoes I use AE cordovan cream on the rare occasion when they get scuffed and then every couple of months a very light coat of wax. AE does not have cordovan cream in this color, and the walnut wax they have seems lighter in color. So I am wondering what everyone else is using or plans to use to match the boot color?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you don't like defects, then stick to mass produced machine made shoes.
They will be much more predictable and consistent.
Machines don't make mistakes, people do.
No one gets hand crafted auto parts for this very reason.

Allen Edmonds are the epitome of mass produced machine made shoes.

swiego

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did send a note to the local AE store with some pictures to see what they say. (I'm out and about and won't be able to bring them in for a bit.) I haven't worn them yet, since if I am going to return them I would prefer to return an unused pair. Hopefully I can get this resolved one way or the other. I agree that AE's service is quite extraordinary, and I also agree that I shouldn't accept the boots if I feel a sense of regret after accepting them, faults and all.

A tricky thing about this forum is the degree to which the bar gets raised. Five years ago, I never would have paid attention to these sorts of details. Sometimes I do wonder whether I've become TOO picky about certain things. Then again, as the cost goes up, so too do the expectations. Again and again, I find myself concluding that $600 is in the uppermost echelon of what men spend on footwear, and therefore these shoes should be held to a high standard.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did send a note to the local AE store with some pictures to see what they say. (I'm out and about and won't be able to bring them in for a bit.) I haven't worn them yet, since if I am going to return them I would prefer to return an unused pair. Hopefully I can get this resolved one way or the other. I agree that AE's service is quite extraordinary, and I also agree that I shouldn't accept the boots if I feel a sense of regret after accepting them, faults and all.
A tricky thing about this forum is the degree to which the bar gets raised. Five years ago, I never would have paid attention to these sorts of details. Sometimes I do wonder whether I've become TOO picky about certain things. Then again, as the cost goes up, so too do the expectations. Again and again, I find myself concluding that $600 is in the uppermost echelon of what men spend on footwear, and therefore these shoes should be held to a high standard.

Forgetting all the other issues, the fact that one sole is thicker than the other is a deal breaker. Walking on shoes like that can cause long lasting physical harm. Send the shoes back and forget about it.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No such thing as too picky IMO. I have been criticized in this forum for pointing out these type of things in AE. The fact of the matter is that I actually steer my co-workers to AE when they admire my shoes and what to know where and how to buy shoes. Not everyone wants to pay for G&G, EG, Lobb, or even C&J type quality. However, if you care for fit and finish and pay attention to details then you are like me and are ruined.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No such thing as too picky IMO. I have been criticized in this forum for pointing out these type of things in AE. The fact of the matter is that I actually steer my co-workers to AE when they admire my shoes and what to know where and how to buy shoes. Not everyone wants to pay for G&G, EG, Lobb, or even C&J type quality. However, if you care for fit and finish and pay attention to details then you are like me and are ruined.

AE salesguy the day after Christmas in San Francisco location flat out told me 'you are being too picky' when I returned some cordovan shoes that clearly showed yellow under the black dye (these were black shoes) as well as stitching issues. When I told him to refund me instead of exchanging the shoes, he said, "Yeah, I think that would be best because you will just end up returning the new pair too it seems like'.

Frankly, I was shocked how dismissive and condescending he was.

I'm not as impressed with AE anymore...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads