Allen Edmonds Dalton - shell cordovan in walnut

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by swiego, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

They are darker in person than most pictures show which I really like, I believe it is the flash and lighting that makes them appear so light brown in most pictures:

[​IMG]

For comparison Left to Right is a Brown Wilbert, Chili Clifton (still wet from leather conditioner), Dalton and Bayfield.

Under natural lighting:

[​IMG]

They are light weight, extremely light as mediahound said. They also fit somewhat larger in the heel than my other AE shoes but looks like an additional insole has helped fill that space. I'm very pleased with them, and the Bayfield.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Thanks for the report and the pics!

Are they lighter in weight than the Bayfields? Just curious.

3. Mazderati

Mazderati Well-Known Member

Definitely darker than I expected.

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Much lighter. Definitely a dress boot construction even more so than the Bayfield but they also have leather soles (for now) vs. rubber soles on the Bayfield. The Bayfields fit like a glove and will need no breaking in. The Shell Dalton are going to take awhile to break in. If they weren't already out of my size I'd order another pair of Bayfield right now. They fit better than even my made to measure Russell Moccasin boots. So of course they are now discontinued....

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thanks for posting pics - they look great! So, do they have the same sole as the calf Dalton's or the j.r. Soles that they put on the other shell shoes?

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Looks like I'm in the penalty box for being new and trying to post too much, not sure if this or my last post will show up?

bucksfan the soles are totally different than my Shell Leeds which are my only reference to this point. Until the Shell Bradleys that I ordered last week show up. I got another discount with my Military Star card on top of my military discount and couldn't resist. And also ordered the Yuma and Cascade. I did take a picture of the soles earlier today but didn't post it.

[​IMG]

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

8. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thanks for the pic - in my opinion, they are a great color!

The soles look like the "normal" J.R. soles that AE uses for their shell shoes. Perhaps double-oak on this shoe. It appears, however, that they used a unique edge coloring. I know you said you planned to do a 1/2 sole right out of the gate - but I'd recommend either trying these out over the winter or maybe getting a commando or vibram add-on. Those J.R. soles are the best available.

Out of curiosity, what do your leeds have that is so different? These double-soles should be similar, though the boot does not have a reverse welt, so that might be what you are talking about.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

9. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

The color on those looks great.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I have similar boots that ultimately I will put (low profile) commando or dainite soles on, but am going to try to wear through the leather first

11. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Good points, however J&M had some of the best, shapely, lasts at similar price points. In fact, they still do, albeit in a very limited selection of stock Crown Aristocrafts and MTO line of Custom Selects, made in Tennesse. I have seen pictures and understand that they also still make cordovans for their overseas markets. Too bad the bulk of their line up is mostly made in India garbage (on nice lasts).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes you are correct on the difference. And I agree it is almost sacrilegious to alter the soles on these boots. However where I work has miles of tile and marble floors to walk on in additional to walking outside going site to site occasionally. From the research that I have done most people feel the Dainite soles can be slick inside with wet tile so I'm leaning toward the commando soles. I emailed Nick before I even received the boots and he said if I did half soles now it would still be no problem putting the Dainite or Commando soles on next summer once the snow leaves.

Simple toe taps have proven more effective than I thought they would on a couple of other pair of leather soled shoes not only at extending life of the sole but providing a little traction on wet tile (to a point). Now you have me thinking again.... not always a bad thing LOL.

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

By a half sole, do you mean to replace the forward part of the sole, or do you mean to add a topy - a thin layer of rubber that is glued onto the existing sole? That's what I'd suggest, at any rate.

14. swiego

swiego Senior member

Hi everyone. As the OP, I'm happy to say that I received my pair today. (They were ready on the 23rd however I was out of town.) Overall I'm happy with the look, although there are numerous minor finishing problems that I won't go into just yet.

I do have a couple of fit concerns that I could use advice on.

1. When I put these boots on and lace them up, the toe (toe box and vamp) and ankle are pleasantly snug and keep my foot in the shoe. However the side quarters probably puff out at least 1cm on either side from my ankle. I suspect they bulge out a bit when walking. From a comfort perspective, this doesn't seem to cause a problem; I guess I don't expect the shoe to provide side-to-side support at the lower quarters, but all of my other shoes do press closer to the sides of my ankles. As something of a boot novice, is this normal or should I be concerned?

2. The tongue on my boots is very wrinkled out of the box, and when lacing it up, it definitely wrinkles/folds a bit. Is this normal for a boot? It's above the pant hemline, so no real issues, but it looks terrible aesthetically when I'm lacing up.

3. This issue a bit more serious. So, the tongue is connected both to the vamp (like most shoes) but also to the upper quarters. The tongue actually folds into something of a V on each edge. When laced, the leather crease where the tongue is folded on itself can press into my foot and it's somewhat uncomfortable. I'm having trouble avoiding it, except to loosen the lacing which of course can cause other issues. Is this a normal design for a boot, to have the tongue having that fold? Is it a good design when the leather is cordovan and therefore the folds will be relatively stiff/sharp? Please let me know if what I am describing is unclear, and I will take and post a couple of pics.

I really like the color of the boot and when worn (outside of the issues discussed) it does look great. Not sure if it's a good blue jeans boot; I may need to get more khakis.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

1) My rear side quarters are not quite that loose but looser than most hunting and hiking boots that I own. Definitely looser than my AE Bayfields but many people complain the Bayfield is too tight for them. I have a very narrow heel to start with and the heel area itself is VERY loose however. Another poster in a different thread complained of the same issue at the heel. I have a feeling that the original design may have been to line the boot and for what ever reason at the last minute it was decided not to and now there is extra space in the rear. Just a theory however and I will see my cobbler about adding a liner. I tried moleskin to build it up but was not happy with the results. For now I have an extra flat insole helping to take up the additional space. I don't think that would work in your case but may be worth a try?
    2) My tongue is perfectly smooth all the way to the top.
    3) The leather on mine is very thin as is most of the boot and folds down on the edges perfectly. From the top of the tongue down to 4" or 20 cm there is no stitching- the tongue is separate from the upper along that length which is about correct in my experience except for gore-tex boots. The V should not be cutting into your foot is my thought.

Faded jeans make these boots really pop ;) I can wear faded jeans because I've reached the age where I don't care what others think, only what I think matters. But yes I am looking at chinos again, something I haven't worn in some time. Olive and lighter grey wool dress pants appear to work well so far IMO. Good luck and if you need more clarification on any of my answers or other comparative questions let me know.