Allen Edmonds Dalton - shell cordovan in walnut

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by swiego, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

I own both Alden and AE shells. I certainly don't consider the AE's to be "below" Alden. Though I would hesitate to imply that my actual experience should in any way be used to contradict someone else's virtual experience or opinion.

2. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I've had both as well and the build quality between AE and Alden is quite similar. The lasts and look of the two of them are vastly different. Alden's clunkier lasts are much more appropriate for boots and streetwear and therefore more popular in that regard. The rarity of their shell colors also just adds to the mystique that they are a "better" brand than AE. I would say that Alden is a more popular brand, but qualitatively not a better brand.

As for EG and C&J, there is no question to me that they make a higher quality shoe than AE and are priced as such.

3. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

I think these boots look fine for the price, especially due to the rare color, but I wanted to comment on AE seconds.

This may be a different perspective but I figure most people buy shell partly b/c it lasts a long time. I'm not sure if buying AE seconds for cordovan boots is the best idea since they won't recraft it?

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

You can get the AE boots in different widths. You can't do that with the C&J for BB or RL boots. That's value adding for sure.

5. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Where did you get this info? The SA I work with has always told me that AE will recraft seconds. In fact, you can drop your shoes off at the outlet for recrafting.

6. Patek

Patek Senior member

I'm almost tempted to buy these just to do a side-by-side comparison with Alden, C&J for BB, C&J for RL, and AE shell.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Nate at the Shoebank told me the same thing - seconds are recraftable.

8. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Questions of your demonstrated bias aside, that would actually be really useful to the forum. I'd certainly be interested in seeing a comparo. Couldn't you do it without actually purchasing them? Wear your C&J's to an AE retailer and just take pics side by side, post here, and write your impressions. That would save you $500+.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Agreed, I have a few pair of AE shell cordovans (Leeds, Macneil, Bradley, Grayson, Strand, Randolph), 1 pair (currently) of Alden shell cordovans (J.Crew cap-toe #8 boot), 1 pair of C&J for RL shell cordovans (Marlow PTB). AE's shell cordovan shoes are more solid than their calf offerings.

The build quality from one pair of shoes to another is variable with almost any manufacturer. You can get a bum pair (as I did with my first pair of J. Crew cap-toe #8 boots); and you can get an exceptional pair (as I did with my second pair of same, my perfect pair of PTBs from C&J and quite a few of my AEs).

That said, AE's shell cordovan is exactly the same as that used by any of the other manufacturers (Horween), they are manufactured in roughly the same manner, but I believe in a higher quantity than most other manufacturers. Based on my own experience, any of the three are very similar. The biggest differences, as noted above, are in the lasts and colors of shell cordovan that each manufacturer uses. Since AE is less expensive than the other two, and I have figured out my sizing on AE's lasts, I chose to build my modest shoe collection mostly out of AEs.

They have been 100% recraftable in my experience. They don't bat an eye at seconds vs. firsts. I also have gotten "thirds" (with a "W" on the sole) recrafted without any difficulty.

Back to the original thrust of this thread, I happen to have the Dalton in calf already, otherwise I would seriously look at the shell version. The build quality of my Daltons is very good, the only beef I have with them is a little bit of stiffness in the ankle area, due to the height of the shoe and the lined tongue on my calf versions. I believe this would be a very good boot in shell cordovan.

...Actually, maybe I should ebay mine and go for the shell... anyone interested in a pair of 12D Daltons in walnut calf that have been worn 3 times?

10. DurrDog

DurrDog New Member

Just received my Walnut Shell Cordovan Strands from AE, They have a wonderful color and are finished quite nicely, slightly better than the brown and black shells I purchased from AE last year. Heel is cleaner and the stitching to the welt is smaller and tighter. With $75 discount, no tax, and free shipping, I consider them quite the bargain.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Please, some real life pics!! :bounce2:

12. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Pics please! I'm on the fence about them b/c I love strands. The stock pic on the AE website doesn't look that great but I'm sure the shoes look much better!

13. swiego

swiego Senior member

Yes, pics!

My Daltons are still a week away....

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I have AE Leeds (Plain Toe Bluchers) in Black shell. I like them even better than equivalent Alden PTBs. Something about the finish of the AE cordovan is really nice in this case, better than Alden. For a PTB, the AE last is more sleek and seems better proportioned than an Alden PTB in the Barrie last. The AE Leeds is one of my favorite shoes of all time!

Keep in mind the Dalton boot is on this same last.

So, I went to the new SF Embarcadero AE store (great shop and location) and I took a look at the Dalton shell cordovan boot in person. It just seems a bit too sleek for a boot to me. Maybe that's because I'm so used to Alden boots and the Wolverine 1000 Mile boot, which are heftier. Also, the Dalton boot is very light, almost too light for a boot, in my opinion. But I guess it's more of a dress boot than an actual work boot that I'm used to.

That said, the Walnut shell color is *very* nice and unique so I'm torn. If you are familier with Alden shell colors, it's between Whiskey and Ravello, probably closer to Whiskey.

I did not end up ordering them but am still considering it. The sale is still on and I believe will be until Christmas (a few days from now). And yes, at the store they told me the normal price is/will be $675. for these boots however they are limited edition as well so we can't expect them to be that available going forward.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

UPS left a notice at my house yesterday that they tried to deliver a package and with luck it will be the Shell Daltons that I ordered on Dec. 2. Could be the Bayfield’s that I ordered at the same time or both which would be sweet. Last week I ordered the Cordovan Bradley in burgundy, the Cascade and also the Yuma (Merry Christmas to me! :) but doubt it would be any of those yet. I ordered everything through the Military Exchange and the tracking system leaves a little to be desired, the status hasn’t changed on any of them yet. Usually the status changes to shipped the day after I receive shoes from AE and a couple of days later changes to delivered.

I have AE Leeds in burgundy Shell and to this point that is my only reference among different brands of Shell. Allen Edmonds is the only shoe vendor that works with the military exchange system for custom orders and they also give a pretty decent discount to active duty and retired military. That is good enough for me to stay with them and give them my money as long as I’m happy with the quality, which I am. Very much so.

Haven’t had the chance to look at the Dalton yet in person, one of the sales emails from AE showed them pretty clearly and it looked like the uppers were not stiff or thick like a hiking boot. Thanks for verifying that MH. I figured as much and was looking more for dress boots anyhow. For grouse hunting in the Mn. Arrowhead and pheasant hunting in SD I’ll stick with my Russell Sheep Hunters. And my 7” and 10” Meindl Perfekt for elk and mulies in Colorado. As soon as the Dalton come in I will have half soles put on to get through the winter. Then once summer comes around I’ll send them to Nick in NYC to have him replace the leather soles with Commando soles, he said it would be no problem even if I did the half soles for now.