• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen-Edmonds 'Clifton' Oxford--Whay can I wear these with??

x26

Reaction score
Hello:

What can I wear with the Allen-Edmonds 'Clifton' Oxford ??
And what color, Black or Chestnut?
Are they true to size?

Suits?
Casual?
Business Casual?

Could you please give me some examples.
Are these "Stodgy" like the Park Avenue?
I'm looking for something sophisticated yet not as "Square" as the Park Avenue.

Thanks in Advance

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just polished my black Cliftons and now they feel rather dressy (though I'm not used to 'dress' shoes, just Chucks and whatnot). I think they'll go well with dark straight jeans and a black v-neck sweater. If anyone has fit pics, let's see 'em!

coachz1062

Reaction score
I am new to this. Can you explain to me why an A-E Clifton would not be a good shoe to wear with a suit or to an interview? To me, it doesn't look all that much different from the Park Avenue.

I am just starting to work, so I do not have a fortune to spend. I can afford to spend $230 on a pair of A-E Cliftons, but that would be the maximum. I'm looking for a classy, well-made black dress shoe. Any suggestions? Johnston & Murphy? Floresheim?

Please advise. I am clueless.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachz1062
I am new to this. Can you explain to me why an A-E Clifton would not be a good shoe to wear with a suit or to an interview? To me, it doesn't look all that much different from the Park Avenue.

I am just starting to work, so I do not have a fortune to spend. I can afford to spend $230 on a pair of A-E Cliftons, but that would be the maximum. I'm looking for a classy, well-made black dress shoe. Any suggestions? Johnston & Murphy? Floresheim?

look at the leather where the laces are on the Park Avenue and Clifton. the PA is an example of a balmoral, whereas the Clifton is a blucher. Around here, at least, people consider the blucher more casual and possibly inappropriate for a suit. I think the Clifton would make a fine suit shoe. Stick with the Clifton.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachz1062

1. Try on the shoe at a store
2. Check ebay and other online retailers
3. Buy at lower price than retail price
4. ????
5. Profit!!!

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
4. ????
5. Profit!!!

Yes, look out for deals and PSA's on here. I picked up a pair of Clifton's in Chestnut through the shoes.com PSA two weekends ago for $130!! They had almost every size in black and chestnut available.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
4. ????
5. Profit!!!

Are you a big fan of digg/reddit or something?

kaczmar2

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Cliftons in brown from the Aleen Edmonds Shoe Bank for $179 and wear them with both dress slacks and jeans. I think they look good both ways. Haven't yet worn them with a suit.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Are you a big fan of digg/reddit or something?
Actually I rarely ever frequent those sites. I'm guessing most of the people there are btards. I stopped checking out the site once I had a power level of over 9000.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the Brown Cliftons for $176 shipped. I'm hoping I got the right width. I was at a store today and tried on the AE Delrays (no Cliftons to see at store) in a 8.5C and they fit nice and snug.

Does anyone know if the Cliftons will fit similarly to the Delray?

I'm returning my AE tassel loafers so that instead of two pairs of AE loafers, I will have one pair of Walden loafers and these Cliftons to wear to the office every day.

I'm relieved to learn that the Cliftons aren't too dressy as my dress code is generally khakis and long sleeve button down...

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
FAIK, the Cliftons are fairly true to size and they are on an 8 last. Nordstrom has had these on sale for close to a year now and they should have them in store to try on different sizes. I think the discontinued brown is a very nice color which can be had for a bargain.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
AFAIK, the Cliftons are fairly true to size and they are on an 8 last. Nordstrom has had these on sale for close to a year now and they should have them in store to try on different sizes. I think the discontinued brown is a very nice color which can be had for a bargain.

Yeah I'm just hoping they aren't factory seconds (not too big of a deal). When I called an AE outlet the SA said they might be firsts or seconds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads