• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi all,

Styleforum influenced me to go try on some Allen Edmonds shoes because they are known to be very well made, stylish, and reasonably priced when on sale.

Well, I tried. Many sizes (9D, 9.5D, 9E). Many lasts. They just don't fit me.

So, now I am at a loss for a good alternative. What would be my best option for a similar shoe that's also not terribly overpriced? Would like to keep them under $200 if possible, definitely under $300.

I'm willing to look around for deals, use coupons, etc, but I need ideas for which brands might work.

I tried on the Bruno Magli's at Nordstroms and they fit really well. However, I wasn't inclined to spend $400 on them, as I heard they don't hold up too well.

Any other ideas? I tend to prefer fairly plain shoes - looking for these styles most likely:
- black cap toe
- dark brown cap toe
- plain toe blucher for casual wear
- maybe a burgundy color something?

(* if anyone is looking for 9.5D's, PM me as I have a few pair that I need to sell that don't fit! ugh ( Strands, Leeds, Sutter )

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Since you sound American, try Aldens various lasts and swallow the marginally greater cost by getting one fewer pair of shoes.

If you can't find AEs that fit, I feel you might be a poor candidate for mail order experimentation with the less expensive English shoes. Go to a store that stocks Aldens or to a Brooks Brothers that carries their branded version of Aldens so you can try them on before buying.

- B

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is it about the AE that isn't fitting you?

zerostyle

Reaction score
Here are my notes on the fit:

Size 9D: The correct length, but my pinky toe and big toe would rub terribly in the toe-box area

Size 9.5D: Toes feel great, but the length is just too long. My heel slips out and the shoe creases a lot because of the length.

Size 9E: Again, correct length. This time my pinky toe was fine, but my big toe still rubbed oddly. Additionally, I'm not really a wide, so my heel was slipping out. Other than the heel, this was the closest to fitting me properly.

So, overall, I would say that the toe-box area of AE's was just too narrow for me by maybe 0.25-0.5"

Oh, and yes, I'm in the USA - located in DC.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've owned several bruno magli shoes and they've held up just fine. Maybe not as well as AE might have (I had no control sample), but fine.

As for your dilemma, I don't know how you find AE at $200 in the first place, everywhere I've seen them they've been in the $4-$500 range. But then again I mostly pay attention to $1K shoes at this point, ridiculous as it may be.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
This may be a stupid question, but were all of the AEs you tried the same model? That may just be a bad last for you.
Nah, I tried several lasts. I stopped by the AE store and tried on a Park Avenue, a Strand, a McCalister, and another I think - covered around 3 lasts at least.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I'd take Crocs over AEs. Do what Vox said and swallow the small margin between AE and Alden. If you try them on at Brooks Brothers' make sure you're trying on Alden and not a shoe from a different manufacturer. As I understand it BB gets their stuff from various places...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most AEs don't fit me that well either, but not uncomfortable.

There really isn't much in the $200 range which is readily available, goodyear welted, US-made, etc.

Some possible alternatives:
Magnanni on sale or at the Rack
Brooks Brothers clearance (various english and US makes)
ebay for English brands
Johnston & Murphy Crown Aristocraft on sale or ebay
vintage Florsheim
Alden

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
For what it's worth, I've owned several bruno magli shoes and they've held up just fine. Maybe not as well as AE might have (I had no control sample), but fine.

As for your dilemma, I don't know how you find AE at $200 in the first place, everywhere I've seen them they've been in the $4-$500 range. But then again I mostly pay attention to $1K shoes at this point, ridiculous as it may be.

the only AE's above $325 list price are the shell models and maybe some of the weird Italian ones. but even $325 is full retail and are often discounted in various places, for instance Nordtrom had the Park Avenue's and Strands for like $185 a few weeks ago

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
I'd take Crocs over AEs.

So stop whining and just do it. We await the photos.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Nah, I tried several lasts. I stopped by the AE store and tried on a Park Avenue, a Strand, a McCalister, and another I think - covered around 3 lasts at least.
The PA, Strand, and McAllister are all on the 5 last, which is long and narrow for its size. You've basically tried on the same shoe. The 0 and 8 lasts are more forgiving in the toebox. 0 last shoes include: Boston monk shoe Augusta 8 last shoes include: Weybridge - a popular model. Parliament I'd suggest you try one of each of those, and see if it works out for you.

zerostyle

Reaction score
I've also tried on the Leeds, which is the 1 last, and has a "more rounded, fuller toe".
Also, the Clifton, which was on the 8 last.

So, 1,8,5 are out. Would any others have a wider toe?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle

Oh, and yes, I'm in the USA - located in DC.

Try Sky Valet in Georgetown. http://www.skyvalet1.com/

They have EG, C&J, and Alden, plus some less expensive English Brands to try their lasts like Loake 1800, Alfred Sargent, and a couple of others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads