Allen Edmonds Bayfield Boots Metal Grommets Keep Falling Out. (Update 6/8)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by deveandepot1, Apr 20, 2011.

1. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

If you end up w/o satisfaction from AE, you can set grommets fairly easily, either with a punch and anvil set, or with a hand grommet press.

I prefer blind grommets myself.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

If you end up w/o satisfaction from AE, you can set grommets fairly easily, either with a punch and anvil set, or with a hand grommet press.

I prefer blind grommets myself.

The cheapest hand press I can find is $85. [​IMG]
    http://www.metalgrommets.com/catalog...ress-p-83.html
    Is there a cheaper option?

3. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

4. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Other than the grommets, how do you like the boots?

I got a new pair a few months ago... not worth the cost in my opinion.

5. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

I got a new pair a few months ago... not worth the cost in my opinion.

Damn, in the Horween chromexel?

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I picked up a pair for $139 from the shoe bank and returned them when I found that they looked very bulbous and workboot-ish. Too bad, the photo looks brilliant on their website.

7. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Damn, in the Horween chromexel?

lol, i thought you were mocking an asian accent somehow in an inside joke until i looked up those words... yes, i got black ones. I complained about them elsewhere on SF but ultimately they're stiff, rigid, and too narrow, even though I got a wide size. I'm not quite sure what the extra $300 bucks got me... it looks like any other decent $150/$200 leather shoe.

8. jblazing

jblazing Active Member

1) Stolen? Yes people return stolen goods for money/credit

2) Old? Yes people return things older then dirt

3) Not bought by you. Usually any warranty applies only to the first buyer.

Now none of the above apply to the OP but enough people pull crap that companies are more or less required to protect themselves.

Seriously? 1) People steal shoes? 2) He's not returning anything 3) That gives AE the right to make a crappy pair of boots? Simply because somebody else may be wearing them? Do car warranties run out on a sale (hint: NO).

AE, you should be ashamed of yourselves. I'd but Chinese shoes to get this kind of treatment.

9. Kurt N

Kurt N Senior member

If the design truly is defective, that reflects poorly on AE, no two ways about it.

But if this is an isolated case--and it's the first complaint I've seen about bad grommets--then they can't be expected to bend over backwards right out of the gate. A blanket policy of "No receipt needed and we'll send you a shipping label" in response to any quality complaint is an open invitation for people to demand repairs or replacements for old shoes they picked up at thrift shops.

10. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

Allen Edmonds does stand behind the products we produce, in this case I private messaged the OP on Friday and will send him a postage paid label to return the shoes.

We do typically ask for the receipt because of the high amount of fraud that we have seen over the last two years. Part of customer service, unfortunately, is to sort out real customers from people trying to commit fraud, and the receipt is one piece of information we use. We strive to service all our customers, no matter what channel the customer purchases through. Our customer service team works very hard to be advocates for the customer and treat everyone with integrity.

Thank you,

11. AllenEdmonds

AllenEdmonds Member

jblazing,

I didn't catch your post until after I posted above. The other reason we ask for the receipt, it helps us identify the retailer(or store) where the shoe was purchased. If we have a quality issue, it might be limited to a production run or a particular shipment. With the receipt, many times we can identify the individual store or retailer and can pinpoint when the shoes were produced without seeing the product.

We have pulled back shoes from certain retailers based on customer feedback in the past. The receipt is just another piece of information that helps us with the investigation of the customer issue.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

jblazing,

I didn't catch your post until after I posted above. The other reason we ask for the receipt, it helps us identify the retailer(or store) where the shoe was purchased. If we have a quality issue, it might be limited to a production run or a particular shipment. With the receipt, many times we can identify the individual store or retailer and can pinpoint when the shoes were produced without seeing the product.

We have pulled back shoes from certain retailers based on customer feedback in the past. The receipt is just another piece of information that helps us with the investigation of the customer issue.

Thank you for your transparency. Would you add your boots to the MTO section of your website? They are sorely missing.

13. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Allen Edmonds just emailed me a postage paid return label.
    They are truly a great American company. [​IMG]
    I am pretty sure there is no way to fix the boots as is, but I am sure they will give it a good try.

14. BlackBrumel

BlackBrumel Senior member

I hate this kind of attitude for warranty work. Do they think they are fake Allen Edmonds? Maybe you made them in your garage and are trying to get proper grommets put in? It's just silly. They made shoes/boots that are failing in a near catastrophic way. They should do this; Apologies, FIX, more I'm sorry's and maybe some begging, (Please buy our shoes again, we will try harder etc.).

This show me your receipt thing just bothers me.

I should add that this attitude is less bothersome when you are buying cheap stuff, that is what makes it cheap, I don't think this is the market AE is going for.

Add #2- Search for warranty on allenedmonds.com, I was surprised to find none given or mentioned for any of their shoes.. But they make eyeglasses?

+ 1. It seems they look for an excuse to not do their duty [​IMG]. C`mon AE, you guys know what`s the right thing to do [​IMG].

15. BlackBrumel

BlackBrumel Senior member

Allen Edmonds just emailed me a postage paid return label.
    They are truly a great American company. [​IMG]
    I am pretty sure there is no way to fix the boots as is, but I am sure they will give it a good try.

I knew AE would do what`s expected from a quality manufacturer, like they are [​IMG].