• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

garland

Reaction score
Shell Saturday. Need some TLC but these are hands down my favorite shoes I own.

506af366dd787694255bd80227e3cb28.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

garland

Reaction score

avsmusic1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you say they are your favorite shoes..... do you exclude "boots" from that candidate pool? (thinking Navy Shell here)

P12OFIT

Reaction score
I don't think I can make it through the Nordstrom sale without buying a pair of walnut Strands.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Staying with the Nordstrom sale topic, do they sell any decent slacks and dress shirts that are on the slimmer side? Come to think about it, through the years I have only made one purchase there.

And to make it AE related..,. God damn it, I wish they would carry the Dalton in oxblood!

Verniza

Reaction score
Anyone knows how the Patriot 606 last compares to G&G DG70 or AS 724/106, I'm a UK8.5/US9.

Looking to get some beaters from the shoebank and consensus here seem to recommend sizing up.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm really struggling with this same issue. I need an intervention.

Do a search on walnut Strand, and read up on the endless threads on why walnut is too flashy with dark colors, too informal, etc. Maybe you can talk yourself out of it :happy:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yet another fitment question... I just received my Rutledge seconds today, they're a cap top balmoral. Is it permissible for there to be some creasing right at and just past the transition to the cap toe when you flex your foot? I am used to my other AE cap toe shoes creasing more centrally in the vamp. These seem to be flexing on a slight angle from just before the cap's perf area to just beyond it by maybe a quarter to a half inch. They seem to be creasing right up to the more structured/stiffened toe box area, which again starts about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch past the perforations.

In terms of more general fitment, I had been asking about sizing down vs. the 65 last and I think that was the right move. The toe box feels great and the length feels comfortable to me. These might actually offer the best fit for me between the 65, 108, and 333 last.

Finally, the color contrast of the burnished area is not as subtle as shown in some photos that I have seen, which I think is part of the reason they were seconds. However, I think they'll improve with some time and darker polish on the walnut areas. I don't mind darkening them up anyway since I have a pair of walnut jeffersons and wouldn't mind a little more variation in color amongst the rotation.

All this, of course, assuming that the creasing in the toe area isn't representative of poor fit, in which case they'll need to go back.

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Please see attached photos of Allen Edmonds mora, purchased from the shoebank. Is this normal creasing? I have never seen it crease past the cap before

This is going to be an unipolar opinion, but to me creasing like that is indicative of someone who was fitted with an extra long shoe in order to circumvent going wider.

A Nordstrom associate used to fit me in 11.5D because they don't carry a good selection of widths. First time I went to an AE store I was correctly fitted into 10EEE.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Also, this pattern has a long toe cap, as is the fashion. But +1 to above - many people with wider feet go up a size rather than width, simply because the right fitting isn't available - took me a long time to realise I was a 10E and not a 10.5.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Staying with the Nordstrom sale topic, do they sell any decent slacks and dress shirts that are on the slimmer side? Come to think about it, through the years I have only made one purchase there.

And to make it AE related..,. God damn it, I wish they would carry the Dalton in oxblood!

Dappered.com has a good (albeit budget-conscious) article with picks for the Nordy sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads