• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just recently purchased a number of both AE and Aldens. This site has been both extremely helpful in regards to the information it provides and extremely dangerous in regards to the enabling I recieved.

I started by getting a couple of pairs of AEs that were on sale at Nordstrom and quickly graduated to a number of other shoes to include a pair of Jeffersons, a pair of Indys, and a pair of BB Cordovans with matching Alden Cordovan Belt.

I do believe I've picked up another nasty habit. Quality doesn't come cheap, but it sure is nice whenever and whever your able to find it. The great thing is that these shoes could very possibly last me a life time.

I just recently conditioned all my new shoes with Saphir Renovateur.

Thanks for the info and the enabling.

Cheers

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do the cordovan roll!

"Huge" rolls in shell many times would suggest the wearer is wearing the wrong size.

It's pretty subjective I guess, but I would consider this "huge" rolls especially compared to the minimal rolling my Strands are showing. I don't remember if my Cambridge's rolls are this huge.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's pretty subjective I guess, but I would consider this "huge" rolls especially compared to the minimal rolling my Strands are showing. I don't remember if my Cambridge's rolls are this huge.

Another thing to keep in mind is that bluchers and bals will show rolls (and patina) differently, as will plaintoes versus non-plaintoes. A properly fitted captoe bal or wingtip bal will typically show very few rolls.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice boots, enjoy! Allen Edmonds nailed it with the Dalton - really, really nailed it.

I have to agree -- I bought a pair of chocolate Daltons this spring and they were comfortable right out of the box. On the store owner's advice, after fitting, I went up one size in width (from 9.5D to 9.5E) to accommodate heavier socks. Look great with jeans/khakis/suit, especially nice with Epaulet Rivet Chinos.

However, one caveat: These are the squeakiest shoes I've ever owned. I've got about 10-15 wears on 'em (too warm this summer...) but I feel like they announce my presence in a fairly audible way. Anyone else experience this? And when did it go away?

omgitswes

Reaction score
I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of the Amok. I'm looking at the reviews though and numerous people complain about how noisy they are. Anyone else here have that problem?

jjr4884

Reaction score
Saw a pair of shoes today that I was intrigued by since I've never seen them, however if I had to guess, they were AE's.

Walnut balmoral, full brogue, medallion, but it was like a Strand/McAllister hybrid. Think of a wingtip, however there was no "wingtip." The brogueing went straight across the toe like a cap toe. So basically a wingtip that goes straight across the top of the foot.

Time to research....

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I do that on my running shoes, but never thought to try it on dress shoes. I wonder how severe a case of bowing it can remedy...
In my experience only mild. You can also add volume to the foot by using an insert, like the black superfeet inserts that AE now sells. Sometimes that will also help reduce the bowing.

You can actually measure topline bulge or bowing:

But of course need a reference point or baseline to compare it to. On both pair of Bradley's I had it was almost a full inch wider than my other #1 lasted shoes.

Unfortunatley my Shell Cambridge did not come "pre-bowed" but my right shoe has developed it, it started only a few weeks after I first received them. At least in my case what happens is that as the topline gets larger it no longer holds the rear of the foot firmly in place. It is like wearing flip flops and when my foot comes off the deck it lifts 1/4-1/2 inch from the bottom of the shoe. I have added inserts but will not change from a bar lace to something else as a jerry rig to "fix" a $600 shoe. I've been wearing them at least once a week (including today) in the hopes that they will keep flaring and eventually reach a point where I will send them back to AE. I know from the Bradley's that they have a measurable point where it is considered flawed and replace them but do not know at what metric that is.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
I have to agree -- I bought a pair of chocolate Daltons this spring and they were comfortable right out of the box. On the store owner's advice, after fitting, I went up one size in width (from 9.5D to 9.5E) to accommodate heavier socks. Look great with jeans/khakis/suit, especially nice with Epaulet Rivet Chinos.
However, one caveat: These are the squeakiest shoes I've ever owned. I've got about 10-15 wears on 'em (too warm this summer...) but I feel like they announce my presence in a fairly audible way. Anyone else experience this? And when did it go away?

I treat the tongues generously with AE cleaner/conditioner, and they don't squeak for me.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My Malverns squeaked until they were broken in. I've also found that, if I polish/condition the shoe tongue, my shoes might squeak for the first day, but then it goes away.

evolved

Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of walnut Dalton's in 11B this afternoon. Should be here in about a week
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

itsmejson

Reaction score

Mine are squeaky as well. Going up in width does your heel feel loose?

I treat the tongues generously with AE cleaner/conditioner, and they don't squeak for me.  

Thx I'm going to give this a try

Just ordered a pair of walnut Dalton's in 11B this afternoon.  Should be here in about a week
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Congrats :) I'm breaking my dark chocolate in right now around the house!

jjr4884

Reaction score
Everyone is hoppin on the Daltons!

Please post up some pics, i want to see how good they look with jeans and what not. Thanks!

BrizzleCizzle

Reaction score
So where should I be buying AE for a good price?
If you can wait, there should be a sale held by AE in late september. Search this thread for "rediscovering" sale and follow the link to dappered.com where they go over what that sale was like.

CWJr

Reaction score
PSA - Land's End has Graysons in suede. 25% coupon seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads