• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero neck

Reaction score
Just some questions about the Memorial Day Sale - is the sale comparable to this one in the discount? And are there many styles on sale then?

I am tempted to pick up a pair of the walnut mcallisters - they look great in these pics.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just some questions about the Memorial Day Sale - is the sale comparable to this one in the discount? And are there many styles on sale then?

I am tempted to pick up a pair of the walnut mcallisters - they look great in these pics.

Sorry about that, the one I was referring to was through AAFES for active duty and retired military. They carry a very limited stock of AE such as the PA and offer a pretty good discount, and promotions during the holidays if you use the Military Star card to purchase anything. The walnut McAlllister is a great shoe, you will not regret it-

Walnut calf McAlllister, Walnut Shell Strands, Walnut Shell Dalton boots. Hmmmm I forgot about the wingtip boots.....

zero neck

Reaction score
So is this sale basically the only sale AE will be having for some time?
Also, how does this sale compare to their other sales (90 off or 19.22 percent)?

Thanks alot.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As promised -- here are pics of the Woodlore Epics in my Randolphs...

]

I'm a complete noob when it comes to shoes in general but specifically with Cordovan leather, so be gentle!
Either way, I love these shoes!

NOT cordovan leather.

-micro crease pattern on the upper says it's calf leather. cordovan leather has a thick broad crease
-cordovan leather shoes always comes with full leather top lift on the heel with a dovetailed aft part. Calf leather shoes has a full rubber toplift for heel.

Last edited:

jeust0999

Reaction score
wow, thanks a lot for the pics! I'll return the favor on Wednesday.
cheers.gif

Ridgeway

Reaction score
My order says 7-10 days. Couldn't resist the walnut McAllister's since they were on sale.

I wore the Park Avenues at work today to begin breaking them in. I like them and they feel great, but they were purchased to fill a wardrobe requirement for (rare) formal occassions. The McAllister's are a different story. I REALLY like the colour and style and it was purely a pleasure purchase.

I ordered shoe trees and AE walnut polish. I'm wondering though - what would the Saphir colour choice be? Any thoughts? I ordered some black for the Park Avenues based on what I've read in elsewhere in the forum. Makes sense to standardize I think.

Thanks!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So is this sale basically the only sale AE will be having for some time?
Also, how does this sale compare to their other sales (90 off or 19.22 percent)?

Thanks alot.

Last sale was 14.92% off all shoes, so if you like a shoe in this sale, just kop...

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you know the McAllister is the shoe you want, I would pick them up now rather than wait around to see if you can get an additional $20-40 off. When AE's are on sale for $200ish it is generally only a few select models at that price. Other than Nordstrom and Park Avenues, no one can predict which shoes will be discounted during any particular sale.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get these cheaper than the Anniversary Sale!! Just Restocked Brand New Without Box - Seconds, but are like Firsts (First couple buyers get dust bags)

Park Avenues in Black - Size 8D, 8.5D, 9E, 9.5D
Strands in Walnut - 9D, 9D, 10D
Strands in Burnish Brown - 8.5D
Mcallister in Burgundy - 8D, 9.5D
Mcallister in Walnut - 8.5 3E, 10D

Check my listings
Asking price $210 Shipped CONUS

Also my current collection pic:

Bottom to Top:
Black McClain, Brooks Brothers Labeled Walnut Fifth Ave, Brown Park Ave, Merlot Park Ave, Black Park Ave, Brown Strands, Black McAllister, Merlot McAllister, Walnut McAllister, and Walnut Strands.

All I need is some Neumoras and some boots to complete my collection

Last edited:

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

NOT cordovan leather.
-micro crease pattern on the upper says it's calf leather. cordovan leather has a thick broad crease
-cordovan leather shoes always comes with full leather top lift on the heel with a dovetailed aft part. Calf leather shoes has a full rubber toplift for heel.

thanks thats really helpful to know about the heel!!

thats why I asked the pros!

So my desire to get some Cordovan remains...kicking myself so much for not getting in on that deal a few weeks back!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered shoe trees and AE walnut polish. I'm wondering though - what would the Saphir colour choice be? Any thoughts? I ordered some black for the Park Avenues based on what I've read in elsewhere in the forum. Makes sense to standardize I think.

Thanks!

I understand totally what you mean about standardization but in the case of the walnut McAllister not sure it is possible, except maybe with the Saphir clear cream. As you have found out Saphir has a lot of pigmentation in it, you don't want to bury the black highlights IMO.

I posted earlier how much I like Saphir Renomat and Renovator for transforming my Sheltons into an almost new pair of shoes: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/4185#post_5348184 On shell Renovator works wonders for scratches, somehow it always seems to blend the color back into the damaged area. However I scratched the toe on my walnut calf McAllister's badly last week getting out of a company car that I wasn't familiar with. When I got home I immediately did a good cleaning with Renovator and it turned the raw leather of the scratch black. Which doesn't look bad at all given the shoe it is on, however it would have been better to fill the color in with AE polish first I now realize. And likely it will still work after the fact but haven't had time to do it.

violethour1951 posted back a couple of weeks ago: "If you are planning to get the AE premium shoe polish for the walnut color, a sales associate at the local AE advised that the "Walnut" AE shoe polish will actually give the shoes a darker tint over time; it's better to go for the "Cognac" if you want to keep it light." I think in the case of walnut calf that is a good idea, and I will stick to AE premium polish. But not too much!

For Sahpir polish what I know from purchases so far is medium brown works well for the Cascade boots in brown. Saphir Cognac for the walnut shell Dalton boots. But be aware they are a different tone than the McAllister walnut. Dark Brown is a good match for the Fifth St. brown boots. I purchased some Sahpir Cordovan clear cream to add protection, especially on shell, in the winter without changing the color of the shoes\boots but haven't used it yet. Eventually I will try it but first on calf. After a good cleaning with Renovator. Good luck and enjoy your new shoes!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
violethour1951 posted back a couple of weeks ago: "If you are planning to get the AE premium shoe polish for the walnut color, a sales associate at the local AE advised that the "Walnut" AE shoe polish will actually give the shoes a darker tint over time; it's better to go for the "Cognac" if you want to keep it light." I think in the case of walnut calf that is a good idea, and I will stick to AE premium polish. But not too much!

This is very true. I've used the walnut AE polish on the Strands because I like the darker tint, but you need to use a lighter polish if you want to maintain. For example, on my brown Delrays and Malverns, I use saddle brown because I feel the recommended dark brown was darkening them too much.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get these cheaper than the Anniversary Sale!! Just Restocked Brand New Without Box - Seconds, but are like Firsts (First couple buyers get dust bags)

Park Avenues in Black - Size 8D, 8.5D, 9E, 9.5D
Strands in Walnut - 9D, 9D, 10D
Strands in Burnish Brown - 8.5D
Mcallister in Burgundy - 8D, 9.5D
Mcallister in Walnut - 8.5 3E, 10D
Check my listings
Asking price $210 Shipped CONUS
Also my current collection pic:

Bottom to Top:
Black McClain, Brooks Brothers Labeled Walnut Fifth Ave, Brown Park Ave, Merlot Park Ave, Black Park Ave, Brown Strands, Black McAllister, Merlot McAllister, Walnut McAllister, and Walnut Strands.
All I need is some Neumoras and some boots to complete my collection

You're selling seconds for $210? Why would anyone pay $210 for seconds when they can get firsts for an additional $35 from All About Shoes???? Or just wait for the July Nordstrom sale and get their first quality Park Avenues and Strands for $200.

I made that mistake early on and bought a pair of Delray seconds for $200 before I realized I could get firsts for only an additional $30.

Essential

Reaction score
I got the Larkins (burnished brown) for $129 as seconds a couple of weeks ago. Good deal? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads