• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since no one else has mentioned it, 90th anniversary sale from April 16 - 30. $90 or 19.22% off select styles of shoes, belts, accessories etc. You all know the drill...
Notably, park avenue in cordovan, McAllister in various colors, carlsbad in various colors. Unsure of other styles reduced for sale. Maybe someone can add to this.

Thank you for that! I will try to order the shell PA again on the 16th. The MilExch told me on Monday per the vendor the shell PA were not available. On a separate note I noticed since Wednesday morning on the AE site the walnut shell Strands and walnut shell Dalton boots are no longer listed. When the AE customer service rep called me last week about my shell Bradley's she mentioned it could take awhile to get my replacements because their shell supplier was behind by about a month. Don't know if the walnut shell removal is temporary due to that or a permanent decision.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Parkland or the Modena loafers? I am inquiring about both of them, but needed input on size issues, such as narrow toe box, bending sides, heel slippage etc.

I have a hard time with loafers from AE, as i always feel the heal slip, or that there is bending on the sides. For instance, the Westchester cuts into my high arch, and shows too much bending in the sides. The Firenze i liked feels too soft and fragile, i'm afraid of stretching over time.

I might have to give up on loafers from AE... :bored:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Dundees today. They look great; no QC problems. I ordered my usual 10E w/ some trepidation, since others said that the Malverns ran short & narrow. The Dundees in 10E fit just like all my other 10Es. The color of the cappuccino shell is definitely lighter than my brown shell Strands. I'm happy w/ them.

Outstanding and congratulations! I didn't order the Dundee because I could not get the Malvern to fit me no matter how I tried. If the rumors are true and they do release the Dundee again I will order them in a heartbeat.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

I know your concern about too much room in the toe. I have found that rarely has a little extra room in the toe caused me any issues. I had to size up a half for my macneils and I was really concerned but in the end they ended up working out just fine. I have a slightly larger right foot as well so I have to size for that one. For me anyway, I've had lots of shoes that were slightly small that I hoped would stretch out...and never did. OTOH, the few pair I have with a bit of extra room in the length have always worked out well.

Just one man's experience but it may help.

Funny you say this - because thats exactly how I'm feeling about this issue (and its been my experience also). Plus, more creasing on a casual/rough shoe is probably fine and I doubt they'll stretch alot. Thanks for your input it is definitely helpful!

(Also, FYI, I just checked AEs website and the Blue Neumok is now 3-5 week backordered)

bucksfan

Reaction score
Thank you for that! I will try to order the shell PA again on the 16th. The MilExch told me on Monday per the vendor the shell PA were not available. On a separate note I noticed since Wednesday morning on the AE site the walnut shell Strands and walnut shell Dalton boots are no longer listed. When the AE customer service rep called me last week about my shell Bradley's she mentioned it could take awhile to get my replacements because their shell supplier was behind by about a month. Don't know if the walnut shell removal is temporary due to that or a permanent decision.

I think that they were just selling off the rest of their stock of those two shoes - only limited sizes were available in each.

It seems to me that the popularity of shell cordovan has increased recently, so I could understand a "shortage" of #8... which must be the most popular color. I was told that the "webgems" or "special runs" of AE cordovan went like this: Horween goes to AE and says "we have a lot of color #X shell cordovan - how would you like to do a special run of shoes using that material?" That's how the walnut then the cappuccino came to be.

The same person also told me that the Cappuccino Dundees sold so well, we'll see them again.

Last edited:

RingTail

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Parkland or the Modena loafers? I am inquiring about both of them, but needed input on size issues, such as narrow toe box, bending sides, heel slippage etc.
I have a hard time with loafers from AE, as i always feel the heal slip, or that there is bending on the sides. For instance, the Westchester cuts into my high arch, and shows too much bending in the sides. The Firenze i liked feels too soft and fragile, i'm afraid of stretching over time.
I might have to give up on loafers from AE...
bored.gif

Based on feedback from here in search of a sleek loafer I'm expecting a pair of Parkland to be delivered on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes. The next option costs more than twice that C&J Sydney. Also looking forward to the Rutledge.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that they were just selling off the rest of their stock of those two shoes - only limited sizes were available in each.

It seems to me that the popularity of shell cordovan has increased recently, so I could understand a "shortage" of #8... which must be the most popular color. I was told that the "webgems" or "special runs" of AE cordovan went like this: Horween goes to AE and says "we have a lot of color #X shell cordovan - how would you like to do a special run of shoes using that material?" That's how the walnut then the cappuccino came to be.

The same person also told me that the Cappuccino Dundees sold so well, we'll see them again.

Thanks bucksfan that makes sense. I ordered my walnut shell Strands on the 28th talk about cutting it close! Lesson learned, I got lucky. I will jump on new shell offerings that trip my trigger if my budget allows at the time. Between you and Patrick I have a feeling that I will read about the Dundee's re-release here before I see them on them on the AE site...
smile.gif

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you say this - because thats exactly how I'm feeling about this issue (and its been my experience also). Plus, more creasing on a casual/rough shoe is probably fine and I doubt they'll stretch alot. Thanks for your input it is definitely helpful!
(Also, FYI, I just checked AEs website and the Blue Neumok is now 3-5 week backordered)

In my #5 last sizing adventure I've worn the 11C & 11.5C. The 11.5 leaving me some extra room up front. After a couple weeks of wearing both, I did not see a difference in the crease pattern. Of course, I expect some of this to be foot dependent. You can also pre-crease the toe if you like. The red Neumoks I tried on had a perfect horizontal crease on each toe.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a brown (not walnut) pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, is there any reason I couldn't go to a shoe shine stand to get the shoes polished? Are they going to have a matching color and decent quality polish, or should I just do it at home myself?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For a brown (not walnut) pair of Allen Edmonds shoes, is there any reason I couldn't go to a shoe shine stand to get the shoes polished?  Are they going to have a matching color and decent quality polish, or should I just do it at home myself?

I would think they should especially if it is not an exotic color. My only concer would be if your AE shoes were shell rather than calf.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

I'd be surprised to see extra creasing in that shoe caused by a little extra toe room.  If they had a more elongated toe (like my Delrays, which have the double crease in one shoe), then I would say beware, but if the next size down is too small, I would not be concerned.

Thanks, didnt notice your response earlier. I think you are right, I dont see these creasing and they actually feel good on. I've been walking around the house in them for a few hours now and I'm actually loving them - the heel slips a bit (and really only a bit) on the left foot but other than that the Neumoks are exceptionally comfortable. :nodding:

Okay - so, whats next? Neumora? I'm waiting for some people to post pics and reviews but I'm having a hard time waiting!!

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just Restocked Brand New Without Box (First couple buyers get dust bags)

Park Avenues in Black - Size 8D, 8.5D, 9E, 9.5D
Strands in Walnut - 9D, 9D, 10D
Strands in Burnish Brown - 8.5D
Asking price $220 Shipped CONUS

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the Amok chukka? I was thinking of getting Alden's snuff suede chukka, but the Amok is nearly identical and I can get a pair for under $200 compared to Alden's recently increased $460 price tag. I tried on a pair in an outlet and they felt great right away, so I'm assuming there's not much of a break-in period. Can anyone comment on how they age and how they hold up with regular wear? Thanks!

Pastor

Reaction score

Anybody have any experience with the Amok chukka? I was thinking of getting Alden's snuff suede chukka, but the Amok is nearly identical and I can get a pair for under $200 compared to Alden's recently increased $460 price tag. I tried on a pair in an outlet and they felt great right away, so I'm assuming there's not much of a break-in period. Can anyone comment on how they age and how they hold up with regular wear? Thanks!

I too wanted Alden's version but i'm in Charleston, SC this week and I tried the Amok on at the outlet store here. I got them for around $170 after tax. I've wore them all day long for two days in a row and I love them. They are super comfortable. It makes me wish that AE would make more unlined suede shoes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads