• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a pair of Jefferson's from Nordstrom, there is no indication on the shoe where it's made. Any idea on why they wouldn't label?
Nothing under the tongue, side just has shoe size.

More importantly, can we get a thorough review from you? :nodding:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, for regular conditioning of calf, should I use AE shoe cream, AE Premium Shoe Polish, or Lexol conditioner? Does the optimal product differ depending on color, e.g. black vs walnut?
Is the conditioner/cleaner necessary? Can dirt not be wiped off with a damp cloth or sponge?

The AE website has some good videos on the subject of their shoe maintenance products. Regarding the options stated, you really need to use a combination using all of them.

Simply version: wipe with damp cloth, conditioner/cleaner, Premium shoe polish in matching color (since it is a combination wax & cream polish), brush, and buff.

Thorough version: wipe with damp cloth, conditioner/cleaner, alternate between cream one session (which feeds the leather nutrients) & wax polish another session (which addresses leather appearance), layering the wax polish to desired shine level, brush, and buff.

Everyone has different systems, but as long as you understand what each tool is used for, you should be ok. Enjoy.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, for regular conditioning of calf, should I use AE shoe cream, AE Premium Shoe Polish, or Lexol conditioner? Does the optimal product differ depending on color, e.g. black vs walnut?
Is the conditioner/cleaner necessary? Can dirt not be wiped off with a damp cloth or sponge?

Use the conditioner/cleaner and the AE shoe polish to protect your investment. Some also like to use the wax to get more of a mirror shine. I find the AE shoe polish is a sufficient shine for most of my shoes and only use the wax on the black pair I wear with suits. YMMV.

When getting a new pair, I use the conditioner/cleaner and shoe polish immediately before wearing and then use the polish on a weekly basis for the first few weeks. This helps protect the shoes and makes it easier to break them in. After that, how often you polish depends on how often you wear the shoes, the conditions and your preferences.

REguy

Reaction score

Anyone pick up a North Platte. I am underwhelmed.

Details and do you own a pair? I saw them in the store and thought they looked really nice by AE standards. I was actually considering grabbing a pair when they go on sale. Should I rethink that?

RingTail

Reaction score
More importantly, can we get a thorough review from you?
nod[1].gif

Well this is my first pair of AE's , so not being a connoisseur there is a limited amount of information I am aware of. The biggest difference between the Jefferson's and others such as the McAllister or Players was how soft and comfortable they are. Comfort is close to a pair of Santoni's (Blake/Bologna) I also got.

I really like the walnut color, nor sure though if the color attracts too much attention.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got a pair of Jefferson's from Nordstrom, there is no indication on the shoe where it's made. Any idea on why they wouldn't label?

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing a "made in the USA" stamp on my Aldens. I'm sure they are though, so I wouldn't worry about your pair.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever seeing a "made in the USA" stamp on my Aldens. I'm sure they are though, so I wouldn't worry about your pair.

I was told the only AE's not made in the US are from their "ae for Allen Edmonds" collection, recognized by the large "ae" logo on the insole. I believe those are made in the Dominican Republic.

Addendum: The Italian collection shoes are obviously made in Italy :D

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was told the only AE's not made in the US are from their "ae for Allen Edmonds" collection, recognized by the large "ae" logo on the insole. I believe those are made in the Dominican Republic.
Addendum: The Italian collection shoes are obviously made in Italy :D

Is this them? http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7605_1_40000000001_-1

Made in the USA, I think.

rostov

Reaction score
I think I may finally be over the problems I have been having with my black AE Strands. Previously, I wrote about how my first pair developed a split/cracked heel in less than a month, and how the replacements had a patch of bad leather which was apparent after a single wearing. Finally, I went back to the San Francisco store and spoke to the manager...

He acknowledged both problems, but seeing me in the shoes and upon my complaints of toe-compression, decided to re-measure my size and we found that I was badly measured.

The store had sized me at 11EEE and put me into a 10EEE. Upon re-measuring, I was an 11E... for which the 5-last Strand was TTS. Interestingly, they fit almost identically, but the EEE was less snug around the ankle and was wrinkling the leather. Also, the curvature/closeness of the toe-box was just different enough to cause pain during long-term wear.

I now have a brand-new pair of AE Strands in Walnut!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes that is the one, but when I see the same shoe in this video it says 'Handcrafted in the USA' where as mine does not. Possibly because it's made in Peurto Rico?
That is strange. But here is what it says on that webpage: "Proudly made in the USA at our Port Washington, Wisconsin factory". So should be from Wisconsin. I wonder if you emailed them if they would have an explanation for why they didn't write that in your shoe.

facet

Reaction score
Hate to break up the AE love in. But I was wondering if any of you have had any problems with the heel coming off? I had bought my parliaments off Amazon last August and, yesterday, noticed that part of the heel was coming detached off one of the shoes.

Has anybody else experienced this? I only wear them 2x/week, three if I wear them out, and I'm only walking around an office in them; so it's not hard wear. I was quite surprised, and more than a little disappointed, to see this as they had been my favourite shoe to wear.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Give AE a call - they will fix it no problem. I think they had a few issues with the glue holding on some shoes made last summer.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Give AE a call - they will fix it no problem.  I think they had a few issues with the glue holding on some shoes made last summer. 

+1 I had bought some Bayfields off Amazon around the same time and the heel completely came off. I called AE and they sent me a UPS label to ship 'em back to be resoled for free. Great customer service! I think the CEO even commented on this problem over on AAAC.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads