• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. I'm going to pass, but it's a great idea.

Also agree. But what am I missing here - the regular Neumoks are still listed at $295. Why wouldn't someone just do the custom for less? Or are the leather choices not the same?

Tempted by the football leather option...

I really like the Buff Split Reverse welt on these.

I kinda like this football leather makeup, too. It's tempting at this price.

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Tempted by the football leather option...

I'm tempted by a couple options (including pretty much that setup), but I think the picture is misleading. If Neumoks looked like that, I'd grab more of them, but in my experience (the ones I own and the ones I seen in stores), the toe is a lot flatter (not nearly as much rise at the tip). It may be a subtle difference, but I think it really changes the aesthetics of the shoe.

I'll still probably pick up a pair.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm tempted by a couple options (including pretty much that setup), but I think the picture is misleading. If Neumoks looked like that, I'd grab more of them, but in my experience (the ones I own and the ones I seen in stores), the toe is a lot flatter (not nearly as much rise at the tip). It may be a subtle difference, but I think it really changes the aesthetics of the shoe. 

I'll still probably pick up a pair.

I think that's because they are unlined, right? And maybe the leather is a little softer. So it has nothing to form the leather, and it "sags" a little in the toe area.

Here is the regular Neumok from their site in brown with a lighter welt and sole. It does show the lower profile vs. the custom shoe photos.

Given these are custom size and width, I was planning on stopping by a store and seeing the Neumok in person to judge how this might look, plus dialing in exact size.

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I think that's because they are unlined, right? And maybe the leather is a little softer. So it has nothing to form the leather, and it "sags" a little in the toe area.
I guess it could have something to do with lining, but i think there's not enough leather to even allow it to rise that much. Here are a couple real-life images to show that, even stretched over a shoe tree, the toe will lay quite a bit flatter (and the reverse welt makes it look even lower). I still like it, but I like the taller toe of the McAllister and McTavish more.

Last edited:

LeviMay

Reaction score
Good day, gentlemen.

I'm about to purchase my first pair of Alden Edmonds. I was originally looking at the Daltons in Walnut, but, due to the weather in my Canadian neck of the woods, think that the more aggressive sole on the Longbranch would be more useful. I like them in the Light Brown Waxy Leather.

Other than the sole and the slight "pebbled" (?) look on the Longbranch, would anyone care to comment on the differences? I want something that could be worn with an odd jacket and flannels, but not have me slip and fall on my @$$ regularly. Is there a huge difference in colour between the two I'd mentioned?

Thanks for your time!

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
I customized a pair of the football mentioned above and they look great. I am really tempted at that price, however I would catch crap from my wife regardless of the price. She shops and Target and can't appreciate that I believe in buying high quality goods. What to do??? What's a few more days in the dog house?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I got that too, been thinking about it over the night. My concern with that sole is that it is too thick and will make the Leeds much more casual. One of the things I appreciate about the Leeds is that they are versatile and I'm afraid that sole would restrict it to informal use only. The thinner natural welt soles like the ones that are on my walnut shell Dundee's are what I was looking for. What are your (or anyone else's) thoughts on it?

So a flat single or double leather natural sole was requested, and they're saying they can only do the untreated storm welt found on the Natural Wax Infused Leather and Brown Distressed Leather McTavish? That doesn't make any sense.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day, gentlemen.

I'm about to purchase my first pair of Alden Edmonds. I was originally looking at the Daltons in Walnut, but, due to the weather in my Canadian neck of the woods, think that the more aggressive sole on the Longbranch would be more useful. I like them in the Light Brown Waxy Leather.

Other than the sole and the slight "pebbled" (?) look on the Longbranch, would anyone care to comment on the differences? I want something that could be worn with an odd jacket and flannels, but not have me slip and fall on my @$$ regularly. Is there a huge difference in colour between the two I'd mentioned?

Thanks for your time!

I think you will be quite happy with the Long Branch. I am really enjoying mine. The Brown Waxy Leather version does not have the pebbled look that the Dark Brown Long Branch does. All of the Brown Waxy pairs I have seen (including mine) are quite smooth. One interesting difference between the Brown Waxy LB and the Dark Brown LB seems to be that the Dark Brown have a functional storm welt, which is evident upon close inspection of photos where you can see the second row of stitching on the split reverse welt. The Brown Waxy LB just has a split reverse welt with no additional stitching.

As for the differences between the LB and the Dalton, the LB is decidedly more casual. However, I think it will be fine based on what you said you plan to wear with it. I also assume that given where you live, people may be more forgiving of a more casual boot than they may be in warmer parts of the US. The Dalton has a natural leather insole just like the majority of the rest of AE's. However, the Long Branch has a synthetic insole (probably some form of fiberboard), covered with leather wrapped foam. That was my only hold up when I was looking into getting them, since I favor the natural leather insoles. I believe that the natural leather insoles are eliminating a potential weak link after years of wear and tear. I decided not to worry about it since I got them on such a great sale, and my needs were more like yours. The walnut Dalton's are using the same calf leather as the rest of AE's line (unless you get the shell version), while the LB is using full cow hide. The color is quite different between the two, but not enough to change what you can wear them with IMO. In fact, the more conservative types may even say that the more traditional brown color of the LB may be more versatile than the walnut.

Let me know if I can tell you anymore details.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoah, when did the Neumok land on the custom shoe page? How did I miss that?

Here's my take

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
For those holding out for a sale, I just got an email from the freeport store...

Our annual February Sale will be taking place this February 4th - 18th. We will be offerings savings of 15-50% on our entire current collection of factory second styles. Included in those savings will be 50% savings on the Delary in black and chili; now $134.50, 45% savings on the Parkway in black, walnut or brown; now $149, 30% savings on the Maxfield in black and chili; now $149, and many more great features to choose from.
In addition, new this year we will have select apparel items with savings of 40-60% off their original price - including sport coats, vests, shirts, ties and socks.

I'm wearing the parkways in brown today and I love them! Highly recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics