Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Between the detail on the toe cap, the five eyelets and the apparent lack of burnishing, I'd have to agree with your guess. It looks like the Colton.

Now, when I ordered them, I really thought these Jingle Bell Moks were too holiday-oriented to last past Christmas day, but with the subtleness of the green (it looks rather grey), I've found they work just fine with jeans even a month later.

[​IMG]

2. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

Anyone have any shell Daltons? I have a pair coming my way. Wonder if you have any pics, or thoughts on the fit and how they've held up.

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Which ones are on the way? Walnut or burgundy? I have both. My walnut shells are unlined and about eight months old. The burgundy are lined and I've only had them two months and they have only a few wears. The walnut shells have been treated with Venetian Shoe Cream and Saphir Reno. The burgundy have only seen Reno.

Don't expect these AE shells to shine like say, Alden shell. I don't particularly like really shiny shoes/boots so I'm happy with them. The walnut particularly, have almost a matte look.

Enjoy your Daltons. They are my favorite AEs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: as far as fit --- for me, they fit pretty much TTS. I actually like the 1 (511) last a lot.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

5. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Those are gorgeous, man. I really wish AE would crank out some more walnut shell options.

6. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

Those look great! Yes, the Daltons in Walnut. They will be my first shells. And, man, do I love boots! Those burgundy ones are quite nice too.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Beware the can of worms you're opening up! I purchased my first two pair of shell cordovan shoes several months ago (black Leeds and burgundy Daltons) and had to swear off any further footwear-related purchases for a year just to stay solvent. Shell is an addiction. Suddenly I want some burgundy shell gunboats and some brown or cappuccino shell plaintoes and oh, for a pair of burgundy shell Park Avenues...

You will regret nothing. :D

8. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Any deals on shoetrees anywhere? Got a pair of Cordovan Strands, need shoe trees ASAP.

9. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Nordstrom Rack is usually a solid bet. They sell Woodlore trees (basically what AE sells) for about $12.90. Otherwise, people seem to wait for Jos A. Bank to have a sale to scoop them up for about $7.

10. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Hey where are the custom brown Leeds on your preorder list?! Think it is just down to you and me. Friday I did a mock up with brown calf and the natural soles that they will let us use. I'm going for it.

[​IMG]
    I'm thinking it will be very similar to the natural soles on my walnut shell Dundee's which works for me.

[​IMG]
    As to the shine of other brands of shell vs. AE, AE uses cream instead of wax at the factory. Once you get the cream off and a coat of wax on them like Mario said they will start to shine better. Some shoes\boots have a lot of cream on them when they leave the factory, some very little and those shine well out of the gate IME. Mac uses 15 min. of brushing per shoe after every wear. And his brush never leaves contact with the shoe during the brushing. That is a lot of brushing. I also brush but use a nylon stocking slid over my hand most of the time. I do not brush 30 min. per pair after each wearing, if I did I would expect them to shine very well also.

Walnut Daltons about a year old now. The picture is when new but they have held up well, outstanding in fact. Congrats and great choice.

[​IMG]

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks! We can hope that AE releases more walnut shell options (instead of just MTOs) in the new models being released soon (as we hear...).
    Thank you! Congrats on your purchase; it's a good choice. My walnut shell Daltons were also my first shells. Enjoy!

13. Failila

Failila New Member

Just purchased my first pair of Allen Edmonds McTavish.

[​IMG]

How is the fit of the Fairfax compared to the McTavish?

14. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The latest Webgem is a custom Neumok for only $199. Not a bad deal!

[​IMG]

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Paging Phipsi32!! Now you can get your olive moks and at a discount, too! ...except I don't see olive as a color choice. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.