Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ Lookin' good!

2. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Hrmm tempting as that is my size but given I have the Daltons in walnut calf seems like id be better to just put the money towards the burgandy cordovans

3. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Mingus,
    That's a great testimonial about B nelson. 2 questions: are the toe taps submerged or recessed in the sole or do they jut out?

Does B nelson return the insoles completely flat (after adding the cork)? Or are the bumps from the previous owner still there. I've had some used shoes resoled by a local cobbler and (darn it!) if the insole comes back with the old owners lumps. He tells me he does a new cork bed, but it doesn't feel like it.

4. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

The taps are recessed so they're flush with the leather. I'm actually getting it done to a pair of bostonians that the toes are worn down almost to the welt. He has to add more leather there first, so it'll cost more than usual (usually $35 for toe taps, I think). They're older, late 1990s Bostonians that I got new, so they're not AWFUL shoes. . .but they're certainly not shoes I want to pay a premium to have the soles replaced. Getting those taps on there will make them great knock-around shoes as the uppers have held up great.

As for the lumps. . .you know, I don't know! I certainly didn't notice them when I tried them on. They did fit a little more snug, so I'm guessing they weren't there. I'll feel around tomorrow and get back to you on that, though!

One other thing is that the double JR soles makes for a HUGE sole there. Definitely would make these look out of place in a suit, but the worn look of them prevents that anyway. To be honest, I really didn't think they would be much thicker than what was on there before. . .I was kind of shocked when I saw them. . .it's growing on me, though! I think these are going to be great with jeans or cords. . .maybe even chinos!

-James

5. lostron

lostron Senior member

Yes, those look great for casual clothing

6. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Just got a pair of Allen Edmonds Walnut Parkways. Very, very nice. Much better in person than what is shown on the AE website. Great shoe! Will post more pics of them later actually wearing them out and about.
    [​IMG]

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'm now far more likely to pull the trigger on a used shell shoe in my size now that I see what can be done. I've used B. Nelson before for a simple vibram resole, but that is absolutely gorgeous.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

An insole does not get replaced, even with a full recraft - whether AE, Alden, BNelson. I have had full recrafts at all 3 places.

If the insole has molded to a previous owner's foot - and said molding makes the shoe uncomfortable for you - you will not be able to make it go away with a recraft.

Assuming you have been the sole owner of a pair of shoes, this is precisely the appeal (for many) of a recraft: the shoes come back broken-in/molded, yet they look essentially new.

9. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Please do! Would love to see more pics of these J

10. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Exactly... I think he was asking, though, if it was apparent that the cork had been replaced. Checking today, there is a little bit of molding (as would be expected) on the insole, but I'm fairly confident the bottom is flatter.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

11. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

These are great! I've been second guessing my Stockbridge lately as the "seams" are exposed leather. These would be a great alternative!

12. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

What is the purpose/place for split toe shoes...I've never taken a liking to them and I don't even know where I'd wear them...maybe someone can help me appreciate the value of them more...I'm also constantly worried seams might split open when I wear them...something I don't worry about with close toe shoes...

13. sevenfoldtieguy

If that is all he was asking, then the gent is confused about what replacing cork does and does not do.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

Business casual and casual. The burgundy shell Bradley is one of the most versatile shoes AE makes.

15. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

General question. I have a pair of the Walnut Daltons and don't necessarily like them as much as I hoped I would. I think I have decided to sell them, so just going to get an idea of what price I should ask before I list them on B&S. I have about 8 pair of AE's and I think I am going to use the money from these to get a pair of Meermin dub monks. I only wore the Dalton's once, all suggestions are appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.