• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know whether to laugh or feel pity for AE that the picture of the Park Avenue for the article is showing signs of the cursed bowing.
facepalm.gif

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a new in box (seller claims it's overstock) pair of Walnut shell Dalton size 9.5D on eBay, with a buy-it-now price of $449.99...

Excellent price, I'd have pulled the trigger if it's in size 10D. You are in luck if your feet are size 9.5.
I seem to recall a sale on some boots where they were a little too roomy. Are boots a little bigger than shoes(even on the same last)? A lot of folks here ordered the boots from the Jeffersonville outlet. Can't remember the model, though.

jjr4884

Reaction score
I just picked up a new pair of double monks,
will I need to buckle them every time
or do they break pretty quickly?

I unbuckle them when I take them off just so the straps aren't stuck in the buckle the entire time. Idk... maybe it doesn't do any good, but for the peace of mind, I would like the leather straps to last as long as possible.

If they are new, the buckle closest to your ankle should be able to stretch a little. That was the flaw when the Neumora's were made, the leather had no play, so the first leather strap/buckle would break relatively quickly because there was no give.

Elythor

Reaction score
I have a pair of Park Avenue bought from eBay and a pair of Strands from Nordstrom (bought through proxy), both size 8D. I find that the PA fits quite well but Strands are quite snug. The toe box of the Strands are a bit tight so much that after a full day of walking my pinky is red from rubbing.

They are done with the same last so I just assumed Strand would fit the same as PA. (I got the PA before purchasing Strands) Any idea what I can do to remedy this? The Strands are still fairly new so should I just wear them more to break them in? I have currently a medium size Woodlore shoe tree that I stuck into the Strands in hopes of expanding it out a bit more (AE recommends small Woodlore shoe tree). Don't know if that'd do anything. :(

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheSizzle

Reaction score
I have a pair of Park Avenue bought from eBay and a pair of Strands from Nordstrom (bought through proxy), both size 8D. I find that the PA fits quite well but Strands are quite snug. The toe box of the Strands are a bit tight so much that after a full day of walking my pinky is red from rubbing.

They are done with the same last so I just assumed Strand would fit the same as PA. (I got the PA before purchasing Strands) Any idea what I can do to remedy this? The Strands are still fairly new so should I just wear them more to break them in? I have currently a medium size Woodlore shoe tree that I stuck into the Strands in hopes of expanding it out a bit more (AE recommends small Woodlore shoe tree). Don't know if that'd do anything. :(

In my experience, wearing them should cause them to feel more comfortable. For one, the leather will start to wrap your foot more appropriately. At the same time, you'll compact the cork in the footbed, which will allow your foot to settle a bit lower and create a bit more room in the shoe. Leather lotion wouldn't hurt either.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You should consider exchanging your PA's for a different size. While I have had shoes that were too narrow at the ball of my foot stretch with time, I have never had a shoe that was too tight in the toe box stretch to become comfortable. The suggestion to apply leather lotion to soften up the leather is also a good suggestion when breaking in AE's that are the correct size.

zerostyle

Reaction score

I don't know whether to laugh or feel pity for AE that the picture of the Park Avenue for the article is showing signs of the cursed bowing.  :facepalm:

For some reason it seems really common on the Park Avenues compared to the other models for some reason. I have a pair right now that fits loose on my right foot. I'm trying to decide if I want to exchange it for another pair in the same size without bowing or go with down a half size and up a width.

gooter

Reaction score
anyone have both the Bayfield and the Dalton and can comment on the length? I have Bayfield's and they are just barely long enough, anything shorter and it would be too small. I want to get the Dalton but am not sure whether to get the same size or size up.

evolved

Reaction score
anyone have both the Bayfield and the Dalton and can comment on the length? I have Bayfield's and they are just barely long enough, anything shorter and it would be too small. I want to get the Dalton but am not sure whether to get the same size or size up.
I have both of them in 11B. The Bayfield fits perfectly and the Dalton is a bit loose, if that helps at all.

WiredandTired

Reaction score

Would wear them for maybe 4-5 more outings, and then re-evaluate the comfort. Another option is to bring them into a nearby retail store to get stretched slightly. They have a shoe stretcher with a small round attachment that stretches the point of discomfort out. I did get a pair of kenilworths stretched, I let them be stretched for 3 days, it helped with comfort but is a little looser than I wanted, so I would let them stretch for 1 or maybe 2 days.

mingus2112

Reaction score
I've convinced myself this post has been much anticipated. . .so just go with it! Got my shell Polos back from Nick at B. Nelson and couldn't be happier! Photos are weird. They were pretty scratched up and cruddy when I got them, but the uppers don't look so bad in the photos. I got them back WORLDS better, but the photos just don't do them justice! The back story (so you don't have to look for my previous post) is that I grabbed these burgundy shell AE Polos on ebay for twenty-some dollars! They had been resoled with a half sole at some point. I was going to get the heels changed but decided to go whole hog with B. Nelson. Double JR soles and JR heels, metal toe taps. And. . . .

And here are some spoilered pics of before/after comparisons. first pics are before and second pics are after. . .

You can really see how much nicer he got the leather in this shot. It doesn't show as well in the wider shots, but it's VERY nice!

And a couple more new pictures for good measure!

I can't say enough how pleased I am with their work. I really love the "antiqued" stained sole edges. The soles themselves are almost to pretty to mess up and walk on! I also can't say enough what a great guy Nick is and how great my experience with B.Nelson and VIP was. They were very upfront about everything, including pricing. When you take away the extra for the metal toe tap, it was only a bit more expensive than Allen Edmonds' recrafting - which wasn't even an option with these shoes. I went in with realistic expectations (the shoes were beat a bunch) and those expectations were exceeded. Thanks again to Nick and everyone there!

Side question! Does anyone know how to find out how old these shoes are? Any idea when they stopped making the Polo?

-James

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads