• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes sense for AE to do before/after photos. It promotes their refcrafting service which I suspect is more profitable than selling shoes.

ckprax

Reaction score

Does anyone know why they stopped stocking the elgin and if they will ever bring it back? Maybe its been renamed to something else but I can't find it and have been looking for it...anyone ever going to sell or who knows where I can get a good quality used one in 9.5, please let me know

The shoebank may still has BB seconds available, call up an outlet and see if there are any in your size.

mingus2112

Reaction score

It makes sense for AE to do before/after photos.  It promotes their refcrafting service which I suspect is more profitable than selling shoes.

I don't know if the recrafting itself is more profitable than selling brand new shoes, but the IDEA of recrafting certainly sells a lot of new shoes. In fact, one of the reasons I buy AE is the idea that, assuming I take care of them, they can be recrafted several times near-new condition for half the cost of new shoes!

-James

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if the recrafting itself is more profitable than selling brand new shoes, but the IDEA of recrafting certainly sells a lot of new shoes. In fact, one of the reasons I buy AE is the idea that, assuming I take care of them, they can be recrafted several times near-new condition for half the cost of new shoes!

-James

I dunno. You made a good point though. Recrafting is roughly half the cost. I pressume the upper is where most of the manufacturing cost is. The welt, sole, and heel not so much. Yet you still pay half the price of a new shoe. I just can't believe AE has a higher margin on a new shoe vs. a recraft

mingus2112

Reaction score

I dunno. You made a good point though. Recrafting is roughly half the cost. I pressume the upper is where most of the manufacturing cost is. The welt, sole, and heel not so much. Yet you still pay half the price of a new shoe. I just can't believe AE has a higher margin on a new shoe vs. a recraft

I don't know about the costs, so I can't really argue that point. If you're right about that, then it's totally true. My understanding is that their recrafting department is separate, though, from the assembly portion of their operation. This means different machines, different employees, more space, etc. Not sure what impact this has on any of it. - just commenting. Either way, it's definitely a selling point for me.

In related news, I'm heading to see Nick at B. Nelson today to pick up my shell AE Polos. They had previously been resoled and had a partial sole done. Recrafting by AE was definitely out of the question. JR double soles and JR dovetail heel. I also took the opportunity to have metal taps put on the toes as I'm pretty rough on my toes. The upgrades and extras made the cost a LOT more than AE recrafting, but I'm hopeful that it will be worth it. Being able to work with Nick personally (i've only talked to him through email and will be meeting him when I pick up the shoes today) and knowing exactly what i'm getting should be worth the cost.

-James

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why they stopped stocking the elgin and if they will ever bring it back? Maybe its been renamed to something else but I can't find it and have been looking for it...anyone ever going to sell or who knows where I can get a good quality used one in 9.5, please let me know

I believe brooks brothers still sells their version of it. Are you open to buying used shoes? If so, you could check out the b&s forum or eBay.

The shoebank may still has BB seconds available, call up an outlet and see if there are any in your size.

It's just the way AE works. I wish they were slightly more like Alden when it comes to finding a shoe design that works, and then making it year after year non-stop. I say slightly, because I really enjoy looking forward to new introductions by AE, and I know that wouldn't be possible if they didn't discontinue other shoes. However, sometimes it would be nice to know that a shoe will be available when I am ready for it, rather than feeling like I have to buy it now because it may be gone soon (and yes, I am totally aware that this is a majorly successful business strategy, but it doesn't help me!). Brooks Brothers does still have their version of the Elgin, but they are down to only a couple of sizes.

mingus2112

Reaction score

Post some photos!

Of course! I did my best to take some before pictures as well. . .so i'll try to get them in the same poses to really get the before/after vibe. Here's food for thought:

AE offers has "refinishing of the uppers" as part of their complete package. I asked Nick if this was possible on my shoes and he said that it wasn't possible on the shell. He would polish them up real nicely, but they wouldn't be refinished. As soon as he said this, it made perfect sense and I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I've seen one of the AE videos where the shell is being made at Horween. The "finish" is part of the preparing of the shell. . .so i'm not sure how AE is "refinishing" anything that's shell. . .

tsekh

Reaction score
There is a new in box (seller claims it's overstock) pair of Walnut shell Dalton size 9.5D on eBay, with a buy-it-now price of $449.99...

Excellent price, I'd have pulled the trigger if it's in size 10D. You are in luck if your feet are size 9.5.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course! I did my best to take some before pictures as well. . .so i'll try to get them in the same poses to really get the before/after vibe. Here's food for thought:

AE offers has "refinishing of the uppers" as part of their complete package. I asked Nick if this was possible on my shoes and he said that it wasn't possible on the shell. He would polish them up real nicely, but they wouldn't be refinished. As soon as he said this, it made perfect sense and I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I've seen one of the AE videos where the shell is being made at Horween. The "finish" is part of the preparing of the shell. . .so i'm not sure how AE is "refinishing" anything that's shell. . .

The shoe companies add their own additional dye to the leather after they get it from Horween. That's why there are so many colors of shell shoes even though Horween doesn't make that many colors of shell. It's also why a lot of people prefer Alden shell over AE (it is all coming from Horween, so they like Alden's dye more).

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jjr4884

Reaction score
There is a new in box (seller claims it's overstock) pair of Walnut shell Dalton size 9.5D on eBay, with a buy-it-now price of $449.99...

Excellent price, I'd have pulled the trigger if it's in size 10D. You are in luck if your feet are size 9.5.

Here let me get that link for you ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Allen-E...3604266?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1c2f5b69aa

Are those just stock pics, or did the seller actually take them? Good price indeed but we don't know if they are seconds or not.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a new pair of double monks,
will I need to buckle them every time
or do they break pretty quickly?

TheSizzle

Reaction score

Even if it were true that manufacturing the upper costs more than attaching the sole, you'd have to take into consideration the relative ease of assembling a new shoe. When they make new shoes, everything is brand new and simple to throw around the last. When they recraft them, they have to take care in dismantling the sole, doing what they need to do to the welt, and making sure to keep the upper in good shape. So, with the added effort, and the price of a recraft, I'd be more inclined to say they offer the service as a means of building brand loyalty and selling new shoes than to say that the recrafting process itself is a major source of profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads