Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Wow! That's some crazy wear on a pair of shoes in one year! Glad the re-craft has them looking great again.

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Honestly, the right shoe was fine. It was primarily my left shoe. I drive a manual, and I drive a lot. The hole was right at the contact spot of where I depress the clutch pedal. I have yet to hear if anyone else goes through the same thing. I am wondering if I am twisting my foot when I change gears. The pedal is rubber, so its not very abrasive, however there is definitely some friction with each time I use it.

My shoe cobbler said it is normal for that to be the cause. My shoe shine guy who actually shined these strands checked the shoe out last month (randomly got them shined at nordstroms when I was Christmas shopping) and he said, based on the rest of the sole/heel, my walk looks pretty healthy. If I had an issue with my walk, it would show on other parts of the sole (outer edges) and would show on the heel as well.

Regardless, I am going to try to see a podiatrist just to make sure its not in my walk. These shoes spend 90% of their time on an office carpet, so its not like I'm skidding across tarmac all day long lol. We'll see...

3. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Why is it so absurd that you could wear different sizes in different models? If nothing else, the fit between a loafer and laceup is totally different. Even among the same last - 5th and Park Ave fit me perfect in the 7.5EEE but I am stepping out of the Kenilworth in the same size. Its not my imagination.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think they are recrafting because the sole is coming apart from the midsole too. I think if it were just the heel they could probably do without the recrafting.

5. jns425

jns425 Well-Known Member

Cant criticize the pants. I found a pair of khakis that me perfectly (and were fairly inexpensive). I started out with standard colors and now I am up to 6 pairs of the same pants in different colors. When you already have grey, brown, navy, olive, etc - moving on to royal blue and "salmon" isnt so crazy.

6. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

I don't think the grey shoes look bad at all. The contrast with the pants may be a bit stark; that shoe will look good with charcoal, gray and navy slacks. I actually tried them navy and charcoal and was pleasantly surprised. The main thing is make certain that you are happy with how they look to you.

7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I'm sure i will eventually tap into that style. For summer, I do like the navy, orange, and salmon colored shorts, so i'm sure its only a matter of time until I get sick of jeans...

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Makes sense. I dropped mine off today and the SA said they would only need to be reheeled. As always, very impressed with the AE customer service as they took them without question, even though I had purchased them from Amazon on Black Friday last year.

9. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

10. delmar

delmar Senior member

I sent in an old pair of Norse shoes for recrafting. AE sent me an email letting me know that the shoes had arrived and they gave me an estimate of how long the job would take. About a week later, they sent another email letting me know that the shoes were finished and shipped and they also included before and after photos of my shoes--giving me a sneak peek at how they turned out. I was pretty impressed with the before and after photos. This is only the second time I've had a recraft done, so I don't know if photos are standard practice. I would expect status updates with photos if I was buying a yacht, but getting an old pair of shoes recrafted? That's the kind of customer service that makes AE the Great American Shoe Company. I'll edit to add that the shoes were delivered today and that I'm very happy with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The soles in the before picture don't look that bad. Was there another reason you had them recrafted?

12. delmar

delmar Senior member

If you look close--they were delaminated along the sides and at the toes. Heels were rounded off too. But now they are beautiful. Like new. Better than new, in fact--already broken in.

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I didn't know they did before/after pix. Good stuff.

14. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Senior member

Does anyone know why they stopped stocking the elgin and if they will ever bring it back? Maybe its been renamed to something else but I can't find it and have been looking for it...anyone ever going to sell or who knows where I can get a good quality used one in 9.5, please let me know

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013

15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I believe brooks brothers still sells their version of it. Are you open to buying used shoes? If so, you could check out the b&s forum or eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.