Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varmant

Varmant Well-Known Member

Sparingly apply with your finger, some Meltonian Marine Blue creme on the toes to add a subtle patina. Wear with black or dark grey denim or a charcoal suit or a combo with charcoal pants. Explore colored laces in yellow, lime, orange, sky blue or red. Keep these ! and congratulations on your purchase.

2. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Yes, that's under consideration.:) But are you saying return them because of the color or design? Or both?

The pants are Walt twill trousers from Epaulet New York. They call the color "golden brown".

Hmm...never actually seen what vomited mustard looked like, but I also own french blue, plum, and rust colored pants. Where in the bile rainbow do those fit in?

Well, I am leaning toward returning the grey Parkways right now. Not so much for the color, but I'm thinking the long vamp makes the shoe look too long on me. Anyway, more comments (positive or negative) would still be welcomed.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

[​IMG] That was a deal of a lifetime! Don't expect that to happen very often!

4. MoneyWellSpent

They look great, glad you had a good experience! I would only comment on your last sentence there... Just don't forget that they can only be reasonably expected to go through a handful of recraftings (I think AE says 3-4 on average), before they are shot. Sending them in pre-maturely (i.e., before they have holes) will shorten the overall life of your shoes.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

color

6. sevenfoldtieguy

Correct, sir. My AE's (depending on last and model) are sizes 9D, 9.5D, 10C, and 10D.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

The gent's point is well taken, but I never wear shoes to the point of holes.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You don't have to wait for a hole. Once the sole starts to get "spongy", then you can start thinking about a recraft.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Is it? I ask seriously because I don't know what seconds of Daltons go for in any of the recent sales. And, as perfect as those Rack Daltons may have looked, they were definitely seconds in order to have ended up at the Rack since Nordstrom does not sell the Dalton boot. I'm just curious what Dalton seconds go for in a good sale?

10. MoneyWellSpent

Yeah, there are several opinions on this, and many lean towards using the "thumb check" method to feel for soft spots in the sole, and then send them in when they feel thin. I can see the benefits of sending them in before an actual hole develops to minimize the risk of water getting into the cork cavity, which may lead to detrimental effects on the rest of the shoe. AE seems to use a small hole in the middle of the sole as their "general guideline", hence their pictures and in-store examples that always have a small hole in the center of the sole. I tend to take a convenience stance myself... if I am able to send them in when they feel soft, I will. I just take a small hole in the sole to be the point of no return, and I immediately stop wearing them and send them in if I see a hole.

11. MoneyWellSpent

I'm not totally sure either, but I want to say they are generally in the $280.00 range for typical seconds at an AE outlet.

12. MoneyWellSpent

Absolutely. My comment was triggered because of the "preventive maintentance" comment. I assumed by that comment that he meant sending them in when they look substantially worn, rather than waiting for a definitive sign that they are ready (sponginess, or a hole). I may have read to much into it.

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I like them with those pants

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Just my experience and your mileage may vary. I wear 9.5D in 95% of all my AE shoes. The only exception are a couple of pair of the Rough Collection in 9D. I tried on the Westchester at my local menswear / shoe store and the 9.5D was the fit for me. Just my experience - I have a high instep and I think that affects some of how shoes fit me.

Chris

15. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I was just joking about the colors, honestly, even though it isn't my style to have colorful pants... I really think the shoes pair up well and tone down the brightness of the color. I would imagine that they would probably go pretty damn well with the rest of the colors that you mentioned. If you don't like the shoe itself, well then ya, definitely return them, but in my opinion, I think they work well with the outfit.

I am well aware of that actually and I will clarify. The left sole was through the sole, and the cork in a very small spot (smaller than a dime.) I could see the black bottom of the insole, thats how bad they were... whoops! I think once they start to feel "spongy" in the sole, that will be a good time to return them. The uppers, even though they look much better now, were still in great condition as are the rest of my shoes, so "preventative" maintenance will still be based on the condition of the sole, nothing else.

One day he'll learn... maybe lol.

Ya spongy is the way to go for me. I hated the fact that I waited so long to the point where I could feel a little bit of moisture in the shoe if it was wet out. Thats no good...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.