• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmanouk

Reaction score

For my 2000th post and one year anniversary on SF, I want to comeback to where I started. My journey to find to the proper fit on a pair of AE Park Avenues brought me to SF and the AE Appreciation thread. While a photo of my PAs might seem appropriate, I would like to revisit my favorite pair of AEs, the snuff Neumok. Thanks to all the SF members who've helped along the way and made the forum a collegial and friendly place.
:)

adsmith4

Reaction score
Guys, for those that have the Amok, do you put shoes trees in them? The boot is unlined so I'm not sure if it's needed.

Any tip to get rid of the squeaking on the Dalton?
I don't use shoe trees for my Amok's.

My recent purchases from the ongoing sale. Brown Neumok and Walnut Jermyn. Pictures don't do the Jermyn justice, I went in planning to get Strands but immediately forgot about those upon seeing these in person.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't use shoe trees for my Amok's. My recent purchases from the ongoing sale. Brown Neumok and Walnut Jermyn. Pictures don't do the Jermyn justice, I went in planning to get Strands but immediately forgot about those upon seeing these in person.
I agree about the Jermyn - I got the brown Jermyn and it looks much better than the website photos. Chris

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I have a high instep but here are some pics of the two issues. I will add that the shoes are comfortable. The pic of the gaping is with pressure on the heel touching the ground to simulate a stride.

gp2BQ.jpg

lMmoA.jpg
Can't help w/your issues, but I do like the herringbone sock look
fing02[1].gif

bobohobo

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is the "proper" way to tie the shoe laces for the eyelets to come close together such that the tongue is completely covered. I've been told both yes they should close completely and no, there's no standard look. Most of the time, it forms a V shape for me.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feet are different. For me, the quarters close completely. For others, they get a "V". Either is fine. If the shoe fits, wear it.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my 2000th post and one year anniversary on SF, I want to comeback to where I started. My journey to find to the proper fit on a pair of AE Park Avenues brought me to SF and the AE Appreciation thread. While a photo of my PAs might seem appropriate, I would like to revisit my favorite pair of AEs, the snuff Neumok. Thanks to all the SF members who've helped along the way and made the forum a collegial and friendly place.

2,000 posts in one year??? I'm a little conflicted about whether I should congratulate you or tell you to get a life.
biggrin.gif

Merovius

Reaction score
Quick question, I really loved the AE Strand shell cordovan in walnut but its been discontinued according to a sales clerk becasue they are all out of leather uppers. Is this something that they restock every year or was it a one off?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use shoe trees for my Amok's.

My recent purchases from the ongoing sale. Brown Neumok and Walnut Jermyn. Pictures don't do the Jermyn justice, I went in planning to get Strands but immediately forgot about those upon seeing these in person.
To each their own, but truthfully, all shoes can benefit from shoe trees... cheap shoes, expensive shoes, lined, unlined, you name it. Trees have multiple positive effects on shoes, especially given that they are generally the only "treatment" that is given to the interior of the shoe. Even if the Neumoks won't necessarily benefit from trees by reducing toe creasing, the trees will still help the soles dry in proper alignment after exposure to wet pavement. Also, the cedar cuts down on mold and mildew, and will keep the shoes smelling fresh for years to come. The sweat from your foot which is detrimental to long term leather health will be drawn out much quicker by the cedar. They are an inexpensive investment that will prolong the life of any shoe.

I think the Jermyn should be a strong contender for anyone looking for a tassel loafer. I think they are a beautiful interpretation of a classic style.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To each their own, but truthfully, all shoes can benefit from shoe trees... cheap shoes, expensive shoes, lined, unlined, you name it. Trees have multiple positive effects on shoes, especially given that they are generally the only "treatment" that is given to the interior of the shoe. Even if the Neumoks won't necessarily benefit from trees by reducing toe creasing, the trees will still help the soles dry in proper alignment after exposure to wet pavement. Also, the cedar cuts down on mold and mildew, and will keep the shoes smelling fresh for years to come. The sweat from your foot which is detrimental to long term leather health will be drawn out much quicker by the cedar. They are an inexpensive investment that will prolong the life of any shoe.

I think the Jermyn should be a strong contender for anyone looking for a tassel loafer.  I think they are a beautiful interpretation of a classic style.   

The gent is speaking truth. I use trees in unlined shoes.

csc67

Reaction score

You really need to try to figure out where the sound is coming from first.  If the problem is in the heel, you may have to have some repair work done.  However, it is not unusual for the tongue to squeak some when rubbing against the liner under the lacing flaps.  If you think it is coming from the tongue, a small sprinkle of baby powder will help eliminate it.  I had this issue with a pair and it took care of it. 

Firefox - Send them back to AE if they squeak

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firefox - Send them back to AE if they squeak

I have to disagree with you IF the squeak is coming from the tongue rubbing against the lining. Even AE recommends using talcum powder (baby powder) to fix a squeaking tongue, and they consider it a natural occurence that happens from time to time (it happens in all brands) due to the difference in leather textures. Returning an otherwise acceptable pair of shoes is too much of a gamble, given that he can't be sure his next pair will be to his liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads