Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Something else to consider between shell vs. calf. The huge rolls in some shell, e.g., plain-toe shoes, may make it look more casual in comparison to its brothers in calf, Some shell may crease very little too though.

2. Badandy

Badandy Senior member

Size 8D. Picked it because it was the most comfortable that I tried in store. As a bit of an update I just tried tying the laces way tighter and it fixes the gaping around the ankle and the lace spacing (most of it at least) but it is obviously tight. I was thinking that could help stretch it a bit.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'd also suggest getting measured. You may need a size that isn't in stock.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Just luck of the draw. It doesn't happen with most shoes, so the chances of it happening in both of yours would be pretty slim. It was only one of my shoes doing it as well. I happens because the texture of the leather upper is different from the leather lining. Just shake a little powder into the palm of your hand and use a finger to dab a light coat on the problem area of the tongue (don't go shaking powder all over your shoe). A small container of J&J baby powder is only a couple of bucks and it should last you a lifetime. You may need to re-apply after a few wearings. After you clean/polish your shoes, you will clean away the powder residue, so you may need to re-apply after that. The squeak eventually went away in mine, so the powder just decreased the noise until the leather was worn smooth enough to stop squeaking on its own.

5. MoneyWellSpent

Also true.

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Has anyone tried the Eagle County?
    How does it fit? What does the tan color look like in person?
    Does it squeak when worn?
    Thanks in advance!

7. zazadojo

zazadojo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Super happy, finally recieved both pair I purchased using the 50+100 for two pair off sale. Strands worked out to 159.00 and the Amsterdam worked out to 109.00(making up for missing out on them a while back). Love them both and they are both super comfy!!![​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

8. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

What do people think of the Fifth Street boot in Black with jeans?

I have 3 pairs of brown boots now but they are more outdoor/work style boots. This would be my first pair of dressier boots.

I have a pair of black park aves that I wear when I need a dressier look. Obviously, those do not look good with jeans.

I wear jeans pretty much every day, so I'd like a pair of less bulky footwear that isn't sneakers, but don't want to buy another pair of brown boots right now.

I also plan to buy a pair of Alden wingtip boots in shell next fall in some shade of brown most likely, so don't want to buy the Fifth Streets in brown.

9. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'm not sure how the Fifth Street would look with denim -- but for your upcoming wingtips, I'd heartily recommend a shade of burgundy instead. They'd go well with jeans and would provide a nice alternative to all the brown.

10. suited

suited Senior member

I was experiencing horrible gaping with a pair of Neumora double monks in a size 10.5 D. The shoe seemed incredibly wide compared to my Park Avenues - more so than what could be accounted for with the difference in the lasts. I sent them into AE customer service and they allowed me to apply the price I paid for them to any pair of shoes I wanted. I ended up ordering the Larchmont today in a 10 D because I was afraid the B might be too tight in this style. I don't have a particularly narrow foot. We'll see what happens, hopefully I don't have to exchange them for a B.

11. MoneyWellSpent

I think they are too dressy for jeans. Plus, if you don't like the PA's with jeans, the Fifth Streets will look exactly the same (except the Fifth Streets have a medallion and broguing on the cap). They are the same last, and jeans are so thick that when you are walking there won't be any way to tell that they are boots. It'll look like you are just wearing a dress balmoral with jeans.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

correct statement

13. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

Nice, may I ask which location you bought these from? I tried on Strands at my local Allen Edmonds but they were $259, they had the Brooks Brothers Strand for $199 but it was on sale so they said they $50 + $100 deal wouldn't work. I ended up getting a brown Neumok and a walnut Jermyn. Might try and grab a pair of Strands as well if I can get them for $159.00.

14. Roger Everett

Roger Everett Senior member

Assuming the size and feel of the fit is correct ---Flat feet Badandy -- I have the same problem to varing degrees on most of my shoes. Recently bought a pair of Mayfairs that have about same gaping as yours ( my 5ths and strands { also in 5 last } aren't as bad ). Went back to the AE store and tried on another pair, same. Then tried on a pair of Kenilworths ( same shoe except for the patent leather ), same. Store manager ( who I always BS with ) was telling me, it's because half of us who live in Florida have flat feet, live in flip-flops and sandals most of the time. What happens is that, when the weight goes down, your arch flattens down and the bottom of foot flattens out. causing spred at bottom of foot. I've tried all the arch pads in the stores NFG.

Roger

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

For my 2000th post and one year anniversary on SF, I want to comeback to where I started. My journey to find to the proper fit on a pair of AE Park Avenues brought me to SF and the AE Appreciation thread. While a photo of my PAs might seem appropriate, I would like to revisit my favorite pair of AEs, the snuff Neumok. Thanks to all the SF members who've helped along the way and made the forum a collegial and friendly place.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.