1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I didn't care for the "squishy" feel of the BB AE so returned them. Purchased the Peal instead.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I've not tried them, but that is what is I've heard about the Poron insoles. I'd probably get regular AE over the Brooks versions. I'm a big fan of their Peal shoes, though (not made by AE).

3. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Hey guys

I have decent collection of Alden cordovan bluchers (many on the Barrie last) and love them. But as of late the price gap of Alden shell compared to Allen Edmonds is growing. I'd like to look into AE shell options. Could someone who owns both a shoe on the Alden Barrie last and one on the AE 1-511 last tell me how they compare with one another. I'm currently a SNUG 11.5 D on the barrie (true size 12) and would like to know how to size myself on the AE 1-511 Shell Leeds.

I also live in Canada and the stores that carry Allen Edmonds never have my size in stock.

Thanks in Advance ( i tried searching with no luck)

Chris

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I found my foot to move too much due to the squish - it caused blisters.

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

See my video here:

Where I talk about this a bit.

Basically, the Barrie last is just slighly wider and has more area above the toes. The AE 1-511 last is a bit sleeker and is the last I show in the above video.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'm a 11.5 D Barrie and a 12 D in the Leeds.

7. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

blah blah blah blah, enough with the questions, this is the "appreciation thread". Less talk and more photos!

5th Aves:
    [​IMG]

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Well alright then! :nodding:

Tresana

[​IMG]

9. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

I've just recently aquired a pair of Park Avenues (Black Calfskin) and Player's Shoe (Walnut Calfskin). I really think AE is one of my favorite shoe brands. The quality is just fantastic for the low retail price. Keep it up AE

10. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

Don't understand why they discontinued these shoes.:confused:

11. JubeiSpiegel

Evidently they weren't selling... I'm baffled myself.

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Wow thank you sir! Great vid! You say (and i can also see) that the toe box is more narrow than the Alden Barrie.Should i go up a width on the 1-511 if i'm a TIGHT D width on the Barrie?

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Weren't they originally retailing for $550 or something close to this range? With AE's bread and butter being quality shoes in the $200-300 range on sale, I wonder how many AE customers were willing to pay that price. This is the same reason I wonder how AE's new Independence line is going to sell. Some beautiful shoes in this line, but not worth the extra couple hundred when considering the excellent quality for AE's main line shoes.

By the way, you did very well to get that shoe from the Shoe Bank at a considerable discount. It's a beautiful shoe. Well done!

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I question the whole idea of a "Made in USA" branded/marketed company marketing Made in Italy shoes. doesn't that go against their/their customers ethos?

15. JubeiSpiegel

Actually, my local AE store had some in stock (on discount) and i simply ordered a pair in my size. I believe they mentioned that AE was re-calling all the Seven line inventory back to the factory, so i am hoping to get a pair of Vinci's before they are sent to the AE outlets for good.

It is a quality shoe, no question, better than their usual offerings. I think people have trouble accepting a higher price point shoe from AE, when they can simply just shop at similarly priced shoe makers with higher prestige. But at a discount, the Seven line is a steal, fantastic quality and detailing.

16. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

CONGRATS!!! You've been talking about (or looking for) the Tresana for months now. So glad you finally got your hands on a pair!! I couldn't be more pleased with mine, now at about 2 yrs old. They are one of the best fitting shoes I own. I wish I could get other AE shoes in the same last. The fit is spot on and they are comfortable as any other shoe in my rotation. My only small concern is that they aren't recraftable by AE. I'm not sure what I'll do when they need soles. I like them so much, I may send them off to B. Nelson in Manhattan rather than use a local cobbler. I like them so much I'm afraid that recrafting will change them even slightly.

Again...so glad you got them (finally). :happy:

[​IMG]

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I personally wouldn't have bought them at MSRP of $595. At $220, I love them!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  18. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Hahahaha nice pics

19. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I really like the Mondavio in black.

[​IMG]

20. JubeiSpiegel

My AE store manager swears they are now available for re-crafting through AE. I'm going to hold him to it when the time comes :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.