Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

No, the rough leathers are just slightly looser than their calf skin counter parts (speaking as someone who owns two pair of Neumoks).

2. evolved

evolved Senior member

Strands in walnut
    Delrays in dark brown
    Bayfields in brown CXL
    Daltons in burnished walnut

Johnston & Murphy black captoe's
    Johnston & Murphy burgundy mid-wings

If anything I'm in need of a new pair of black plain cap toes.

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

While we're talking sizes is there much variance between the Park Avenue / Fifth Avenue / Strands, given they are all variants of the last 5?

4. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

For that price though wouldnt it be nice to just add them to the collection :)

5. Swiper

Swiper Well-Known Member

I haven't fit in any of the 5 lasted shoes that I have tried on but I took a chance on the snuff suede neumoks during an Amazon sale and they fit me TTS.

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I've noticed no difference between my Strands and Fifth Avenues, though I've only tried on the latter at home.

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Is the leather rough? AE's description on the website says:

Quote: I figured that meant it wouldn't have the same problem conforming to the lasts that the Rough Collection leathers do.

8. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Interesting. How did the traditional 5 lasts (mis)fit you? Maybe we can reverse engineer the different between them and the Neumoks.

[Sorry, in hindsight I should've multi-quoted.]

9. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have Mcallisters and Mctavishes in the 5 last and I size down a half size in all of them. I tried on the Neumoks going down half a size too and they fit perfectly.

To be clear, my normal size is 12E but I went down a half size to 11.5E for the 5 last shoes that I mentioned and they fit well.

So relative to those other 5 last shoes, I don't size down.

10. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thanks for the input guys, looks like theres not much between them to worry about.

I was thinking, how good would it be if AE would provide a shoe fit guide for each actual pair or at least each actual last? Their interactive printout is cool but pretty ineffective, it says I should be a 10.5 but that would be easily 1.5 sizes too big at least based off the strands/daltons im working off.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The "rough" leathers are soft and comfortable, yes. But they don't stretch the way calf does, at least to my experience. My calf Strand and PAs are noticeablely snugger than my Neumoks but not by much. Part of it is that the Neumoks are unlined, so they have more "give" to them than a lined shoe, the suede in particular.

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Well, I don't know if there's exactly a "gap" in your collection, but the amount of broguing on the Strands differentiates it enough from plain captoes that I'd feel it was worth adding, and at $150, you can bet I'd grab a pair (I don't have Strands in black either).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

13. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

When I think rough collection, I think the mctavish and the elgin where I understand sizing down because the leather is, well, rough.

The neumok, non suede brown, is much softer which is why I asked about sizing

Thanks gents

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Ah, I think they say "rough" in part because the leather isn't shiny. Not because it's tough or unflexible.

15. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I'm sorry for disagreeing, but there seem to be more differences. Certainly, some are aesthetic, in the form of chunkier, heavier soles and rougher finishing around the seams, as well as those you mentioned. However, the leather on some of them (McTavish and Elgin) seem a lot stiffer, and AE reps will confirm that leather characteristic. Thus, they don't conform as tightly to the last and may result in a looser fit. Some of the unlined Neumoks get past it and conform more tightly. I know my Jingle Bell Moks fit a lot more snugly than my McTavish, and a lot more like my other 5-last shoes from the more classic lines.

I guess that's not completely disagreeing, but still, I think that's a minor part of the rough label.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.