• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
im thinking about venturing into the boots world (daltons vs. long branch). I work in a business casual environment 5 days of the week (shirt & tie, with the occasional suit thrown in), and would like a versatile pair I can wear both to work and casually.

Am I right to assume the daltons can be dressed up more (and more versatile) than the long branch can?

I did find this link; http://tsbmen.com/6153/1-piece5-ways-allen-edmonds-wingtip-brogue-boots/

Is this a fair representation of how versatile the daltons are?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im thinking about venturing into the boots world (daltons vs. long branch). I work in a business casual environment 5 days of the week (shirt & tie, with the occasional suit thrown in), and would like a versatile pair I can wear both to work and casually.

Am I right to assume the daltons can be dressed up more (and more versatile) than the long branch can?

I did find this link; http://tsbmen.com/6153/1-piece5-ways-allen-edmonds-wingtip-brogue-boots/

Is this a fair representation of how versatile the daltons are?

I think you are correct on all counts. The Daltons are absolutely more dressy and versatile than the Long Branches. I would have gone for the Dalton over the Long Branch if my needs hadn't been so casual. I just couldn't see myself getting the nice Dalton and then heading out to the park on Saturday morning with my kids to romp through the wet grass and mulch... I think the Long Branch is probably too casual even for "business casual", so the Dalton wins there again. I see the Long Branch as a nice, long lasting, high quality option that is an alternative to the cheaper disposable shoes like Clarks desert boots, and many of the casual offerings from J&M, etc.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are correct on all counts. The Daltons are absolutely more dressy and versatile than the Long Branches. I would have gone for the Dalton over the Long Branch if my needs hadn't been so casual. I just couldn't see myself getting the nice Dalton and then heading out to the park on Saturday morning with my kids to romp through the wet grass and mulch... I think the Long Branch is probably too casual even for "business casual", so the Dalton wins there again. I see the Long Branch as a nice, long lasting, high quality option that is an alternative to the cheaper disposable shoes like Clarks desert boots, and many of the casual offerings from J&M, etc.

Also, the color of the Daltons will make a difference. The walnut (shell or calf) are more casual than the brown calf or burgundy shell.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
funny you mention this as I already have a pair of clarks DB on the way to me. I plan to treat them as cheaper and disposable...something to the park/wet grass.

I'll think about it some more (being my first possible boots purchase). Thanks for the comment.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny you mention this as I already have a pair of clarks DB on the way to me. I plan to treat them as cheaper and disposable...something to the park/wet grass.

I'll think about it some more (being my first possible boots purchase). Thanks for the comment.

Yeah, and I definitely didn't mean anything offensive by that. Sometimes there is a place for shoes that are disposable. I have always reserved my AE purchases for nicer dress shoes that only get worn to work, church, and special occasions, and I promptly change out of them when I get home to avoid unnecessary wear. I then had cheaper disposable leather shoes (merrells, J&M casuals, Clarks, etc.) for beating up on weekends with the family. I decided to try the Long Branches as an alternative to see how I like wearing a high quality boot that can take a beating, then get recrafted instead of being thrown away. They are sort of an experiment for me.

pudman43

Reaction score
Interesting, I just visited the boot section of the AE site, and it only lists four boots there. All the other ten are shown as Clearance. Wonder if AE is readying some new boot styles soon? J

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I just visited the boot section of the AE site, and it only lists four boots there. All the other ten are shown as Clearance. Wonder if AE is readying some new boot styles soon? J

That would be fine with me! I have actually been surprised at how many shoes/boots have been put on closeout/clearance in the last couple of months. Makes me excited to see what they are going to replace all of it with in the spring collection. It looks like there should be a lot of new options coming.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If an 8.5D is a bit tight in the captoe (width wise, not so much length) for the 5 lasts, would I better going the E or sizing up to a 9?

Interesting point about the boots will be great to see what they come out with.

My walnut manistee belt from hansens finally arrived, only 1.5 months to get here but well worth it, great belt look forward to donning it with the boots or strands.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
I just used the $50+$100=$150 off 2 factory seconds deal with Jeff "Jay" Clay in Charleston, and like everyone else was extremely satisfied with his service. From now on, I'm not going to bother emailing the Shoe Bank and instead go directly to him.

I now have some Cognac McTavishes and Walnut Kenilworths on the way. I'm looking forward to having some casual AEs to add to my collection, since I hardly have occasion to wear my Bourbon Strands, and have yet to get to wear my Black Fifth Avenues. I went ahead and sized half a size down on the McTavishes (8D instead of 8.5D) since that seemed to be the general consensus here. Oh, and I got Leather Lotion instead of Saddle Soap after hearing the latter could cause the Cognac to lighten/discolor.

evolved

Reaction score
Hmmm....I have an opportunity to purchase Strands in black (brand new firsts) for $150, but I'm not sure if they would fill any gap in my current lineup....
ffffuuuu.gif

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Hmmm....I have an opportunity to purchase Strands in black (brand new firsts) for $150, but I'm not sure if they would fill any gap in my current lineup....
ffffuuuu.gif
What is your "current lineup?" Once you establish that, input could be offered.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

At that price, you could buy them and flip them on ebay later and probably turn a decent profit. Then take the money and run to buy something you really want!
mwink[1].gif

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just used the $50+$100=$150 off 2 factory seconds deal with Jeff "Jay" Clay in Charleston, and like everyone else was extremely satisfied with his service. From now on, I'm not going to bother emailing the Shoe Bank and instead go directly to him.

I now have some Cognac McTavishes and Walnut Kenilworths on the way. I'm looking forward to having some casual AEs to add to my collection, since I hardly have occasion to wear my Bourbon Strands, and have yet to get to wear my Black Fifth Avenues. I went ahead and sized half a size down on the McTavishes (8D instead of 8.5D) since that seemed to be the general consensus here. Oh, and I got Leather Lotion instead of Saddle Soap after hearing the latter could cause the Cognac to lighten/discolor.

Sounds like you are building a well rounded collection!

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Any sizing down required for the neumoks relative to other 5-last calf (strands, pa, 5a, etc.)?

kentyman

Reaction score
Any sizing down required for the neumoks relative to other 5-last calf (strands, pa, 5a, etc.)?

Not speaking from experience, but I would guess that an unlined shoe made out of distressed leather or suede would end up hugging the last very closely. For that reason, I would expect it to fit much like the standard calfskin 5-65s you mentioned, and possibly even a little tighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads