• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

TheSizzle

Reaction score

It's a cotillion ball for my younger sister, so I doubt I'll get any side eyes from people. Best thing about the Park Aves is that I'll be able to wear them more after the event as well. Just wondering if there were any other similar options

You could also consider a pair of Vernon in black.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share this information on recrafting, in case anyone needs it for future reference. I asked AE about recrafting the Ralph Lauren branded shoes and the Italian collection shoes. Here is what they said:

We do not have authority to recraft Ralph Lauren, even the ones that were manufactured by us. I am sorry. Yes, we recraft the Verona, however, they will not be recrafted with the Italian sole but with a comparable American sole.

I'm not sure what sole they would use for the Italian loafers. But my Verona will be in need soon, so I may find out.

jns425

Reaction score
Which AE do you guys think will go best for a black tie event?
Could Park Avenues work if I just polish them? Don't really want any patent leather shoes

I'm wearing the Kenilworth for my wedding with a tux. I also own a pair of Fifth Avenues, but I thought the Kenilworth was a little better for the black tie because of the lack of lines/perforations.

jns425

Reaction score

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Those are nice, but why no half sizes? Also, I could order my own custom cordovan Kenilworth from AE for what? $750?

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Thought I would share this information on recrafting, in case anyone needs it for future reference. I asked AE about recrafting the Ralph Lauren branded shoes and the Italian collection shoes. Here is what they said:
We do not have authority to recraft Ralph Lauren, even the ones that were manufactured by us. I am sorry. Yes, we recraft the Verona, however, they will not be recrafted with the Italian sole but with a comparable American sole.
I'm not sure what sole they would use for the Italian loafers. But my Verona will be in need soon, so I may find out.

Well that kind've sucks as I've ordered Singleton and the Modena as part of the current sale. To me, the appeal of the Italian line is the uber-slim, flexible sole. I guess the RL thing must be something AE agreed to as part of the licensing agreement? My understanding is that the Singleton is just a Randolph made to Independence line specs, so it's not like the Italian line where they might simply not have access to the necessary materials/machinery.

Oh well, given the prices, I can't complain too much. Guess I'll just be topying both.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well that kind've sucks as I've ordered Singleton and the Modena as part of the current sale. To me, the appeal of the Italian line is the uber-slim, flexible sole. I guess the RL thing must be something AE agreed to as part of the licensing agreement? My understanding is that the Singleton is just a Randolph made to Independence line specs, so it's not like the Italian line where they might simply not have access to the necessary materials/machinery.
Oh well, given the prices, I can't complain too much. Guess I'll just be topying both.

i agree. I guess there must be something about the licensing deal with RL. There was a similar situation with Brooks Brothers that was discussed here a while back, but they eventually covered Brooks shoes under their recrafting program.

The Italian is also disappointing, since they clearly state in the Verona description that they can be recrafted, with the "full recrafting service"
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF49600_1_40000000001_-1

I guess they don't count the original soles as part of that?

And I should have topy'd my Veronas. They got used in wet weather, and with the thin soles, they really took a beating.

Last edited:

dancingbear

Reaction score
Those are nice, but why no half sizes? Also, I could order my own custom cordovan Kenilworth from AE for what? $750?

I agree. I think AE is missing the boat. So much of their high end selection is MTO these days, why not increase the flexibility of offerings instead of limiting them.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a cotillion ball for my younger sister, so I doubt I'll get any side eyes from people. Best thing about the Park Aves is that I'll be able to wear them more after the event as well. Just wondering if there were any other similar options

I'm wearing the Kenilworth for my wedding with a tux. I also own a pair of Fifth Avenues, but I thought the Kenilworth was a little better for the black tie because of the lack of lines/perforations.

You could also consider a pair of Vernon in black.

The Vernon would be nice, but all those perfs really push it away from the unadorned black tie ideal. I would avoid the Kenilworth for the same reason I haven't bought their current Mayfair patent offering or worn my black cordovan Leeds: bluchers are casual and eveningwear is not.

I'm in a tuxedo at least monthly; for lack of the Ritz or Copley or any of the classic black tie shoes that Allen Edmonds used to produce, I've defaulted to bulled-toe black Park Avenues as my workhorse black tie shoe.

If my feet weren't AA width I'd buy a pair of these immediately, along with some black silk laces to spiff them up.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score
So, over various points over the last couple years, I'm sure I've read several opinions on the fit of the 1 last, but I could use some help on sizing.

I bought the Bayfield last year during the 2/$200 sale and picked up my usual size, a 13D. For me, a 13D in the 5 last is just about right in the toebox, but a bit too long for my foot. A 12.5E is usually a better fit, but much more difficult to come across in a ready to wear option. A 12.5D pinches too much on the pinky toes. When I received the Bayfields, I ininitally thought the fit was pretty good, but upon wearing them, I quickly realized that the toebox was very limiting, especially on the top and side of my pinky toes. The heel seemed ok, as did the length (although it is on the smaller size compared to my other AE's...closer to a 12.5).

Is this a common complaint with the 1 last across the board, or is it just something specific to the Bayfield? I'm currently looking to get in on the MTO Shell Leeds that bucksfan is organizing, but I really don't want to screw up the sizing on this one. As cordovan is typically a slightly looser fit, as I've found with my Strands and McCalisters, I have no idea what to do. I'm leaning towards a 13E, but if anyone has any opinions, I'd gladly welcome them.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I should add that getting to an AE store is not an easy feat for me, as I'm at least 3 hours away from the nearest one. Chances are, I won't be traveling for work anytime before the deadline for the MTO shoes.

Last edited:

suaviter

Reaction score
Does anybody have pics of the discontinued style Hamptons in brown calf?

There are some at the shoebank in my size I'm considering but just wanna see some more pics before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!!!!

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody have pics of the discontinued style Hamptons in brown calf?  

There are some at the shoebank in my size I'm considering but just wanna see some more pics before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!!!!

check page 931 of this topic - somebody just bought a pair and posted photos.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads