1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I don't think it's just the handsewn models, but could be wrong. From the 2nd link above:

"the part of the Goodyear welt process that's also done in the DR is the cutting of the upper leathers, sewing of those pieces together and "hanging" of the lining"

doesn't sound like just hand sewing to me.

I personally don't care if they are made in Siberia. But billing themselves as

[​IMG]

just seems disingenuous, at best.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  2. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

mediahound: you should probably do some more research before you speculate. if you search for "dominican" on the AE website, SEVERAL models come up. what you're doing -- implying that, a random web story somehow proves that AE is secretly doing what you're saying -- is irresponsible. but if you were the kind of person who would listen to reason you probably wouldn't have posted this stuff in the first place without doing your research.

1 person likes this.
  4. phototristan

Did you even read the 2nd link? It's a post from the CEO himself. You would do well to do so. -

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228354/...-in-the-dominican-republic/0_100#post_4903126

"How the duplicated work on the uppers gets distributed between the two plants depends on order flows from week to week."

Here's what he said there, in it's entirety:

"Gentlemen -

Thanks for your feedback. We do indeed have duplicative capabilities at the beginning of the shoemaking process in Wisconsin and, since 2006, in the Dominican Republic. Both plants are 100% owned and managed closely by us, staffed by our employees. If you watch our YouTube Plant Tour video (available on our website home page), the part of the Goodyear welt process that's also done in the DR is the cutting of the upper leathers, sewing of those pieces together and "hanging" of the lining. The resulting work-in-process looks like a flattened baseball cap with a large hole in the top and no sewn seams around the brim or the bottom of the cap.

The lining and the unfinished upper are attached together and to the bottom of the shoe in the lasting and welting processes, which are all done in Wisconsin. The footbed (inside bottom) leather cutting and the welt taping for the sides and bottoms of the shoes are done 100% in Port Washington, as is the rest of the production process -- the shaping of the loose uppers in preparation for lasting, insertion of toeboxes and heel counters, lasting, attaching the footbed, welting, hot corking, sewing on the sole, nailing and gluing on the heel base, attaching the heel "toplift", trimming all the edges, wheeling, cutting, trimming and attaching the sock liner (when used), and all the stages of finishing. How the duplicated work on the uppers gets distributed between the two plants depends on order flows from week to week.

The increase in demand for our shoes has led us to hire more people in both plants on all functions, which is good for both local economies. We're proud to be building economic vitality in two places that need it in the Western Hemisphere, one right here in Wisconsin and one a few hundred miles off the shore of Florida. History buffs might see this as our micro version of the Monroe Doctrine or maybe a localized DR Marshall Plan.

This formula works for us and for our U.S. employment growth, which is where the majority of our new hires are. Keeping our prices lower than any other fully Goodyear welted shoe manufacturer is an important part of our AE value proposition. It also allows us to spread workload effectively between the two locations so that we keep our delivery times as short as possible, a couple of days in many instances. Delivery to major wholesale accounts with that kind of flexibility is a major competitive advantage versus the Asian shoe importers who send shoes by ocean vessel in containerloads. Keeping our prices under control keeps us accessible for more and more customers with family budgets.

Thanks for the question and the interest. I hope the hundreds (and growing) of people we have in our Port Washington facitilities will continue to have your support.

Best wishes,
    Paul"

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Mediahound, this is not news. They freely admit to this manufacturing and have been doing it for a while. They have: - Wholly made in the DR shoes: the "ae" line - Uppers made in the DR and the rest of the shoes assembled in the US: Various shoes. They actually move production between the DR and the US depending on needs. - Wholly made in the US shoes: shell cordovan and possibly the Independence line (not sure about the latter) They divulge full information and are wholly upfront about this in all their materials. Yes, the shoes say "Made in the USA", but they are allowed to by law. Do a little searching, though, and you'll find plenty of stories and interviews where the CEO is open about this practice. You can feel free to insist on fully made in the USA, but "disingenuous" is not the right word for what they are doing. Sounds like you're new to the brand. No problem; but everyone here already knows.

1 person likes this.
  6. phototristan

Thanks for the info. Apparently not everyone here already knows this, based on the replies.

And no, AE is not going out of their way to inform potential customers of these facts in any way. Looking at their website, I would even argue they are trying to hide it there.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Me:
    TTS - 9.5D
    5 last - 9D (always thin sock)
    1 last - 10C or 10D (wearing brown shell Leeds in 10C today (1 last) with a thin/medium sock)

The 1 lasted Leeds in 10C may be the best fitting AE shoe for my feet.

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

my apologies, i didn't read the second link, only the first.

9. MarcusJY

MarcusJY Member

Funny, I just recieved a pair of white players today from the Brookfield outlet they were $179 closeout, so there are some out there....but I wear 14 EEE..so I guess it works both ways regarding shoes in that size. Not as big of selection but not as high of demand.

[​IMG]

10. phototristan

11. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Those look pretty nice! The only chukkas I have are Clarks Desert Boots. These Amoks would definitely make for a nicer and dressier alternative. Does your picture provide a fairly close representation of the actual color? Looks a lot better than the stock photos on Amazon. I like the contrast stitching and lacing, too. $187.50 with free shipping and 3 left in stock in my size... dang, tempting. Trying to resist. I know people are always posting about ways to get another 20 or 30% off an Amazon purchase... anyone know of any current promotions? If so, that would probably push me over the edge.

12. phototristan

Yes, the picture seems pretty accurate in terms of the color.

I also have a pair of Clarks Desert Boots in a different color and these AE's are sleeker and of higher quality for sure. The Clarks are way clunky by comparison.

The only way I know to get a further discount off an Amazon purchase is to use one of the credit cards that gives 3-5% cashback on Amazon purchases.

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

If you haven't signed up for it, there is a shoe newsletter that you can subscribe to. They give you 20% off your first purchase. But it's only for one-time use.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=5637565011

14. dustygator

dustygator Member

This is pretty much on the dot. You'll also notice that recently some AE shoes have "Made in the USA of fine imported leather". Example I'm guessing this is a nod to the fact that some initial leather work is done in the DR. My Independence collection shoes only have Made in the USA, without that second part so I'm guessing they fall into the last category.

15. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Yes, I think that's what I've heard about before, thanks. Just signed-up and instantly received the 20% coupon. Dangit! Why'd you have to tell me about this... :laugh: Now I'm probably gonna have to pull the trigger on those Amoks. What's the sizing like on them? Only other AE shoes I've worn are 5 lasted, and I'm a perfect 10.5D in them.

16. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Also, I'd always kinda viewed a brown suede chukka as a fall shoe, but mediahound doesn't seem to have a problem wearing them in the middle of spring. Thoughts on the versatility of such a shoe? Is it a year 'rounder?

17. phototristan

18. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I just bought a tan pair for spring/summer

19. phototristan

They seem TTS for me, ie. I measure 8.5D on the Brannock and that's what I bought in the Amok.

20. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Reading through this thread, it seems the Amoks have a notorious "squeaking" problem. Hmm.. that's discouraging. I was ready to pull the trigger..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.