• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. Well I am wearing them for my wedding which is October. My fiance wants me to save them till then, which is fine, because I have more than enough shoes.

Interesting point about storing them on their side. I wish there was a way to store them upright without taking up a massive amount of space. I suppose maybe I could keep them in the bags but on my shoe rack. Maybe I'll consider that...

Congratulations on your wedding!

I would store them sitting upright, with trees, in their bags if you feel like you can afford the space.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha. Well I am wearing them for my wedding which is October. My fiance wants me to save them till then, which is fine, because I have more than enough shoes.

Interesting point about storing them on their side. I wish there was a way to store them upright without taking up a massive amount of space. I suppose maybe I could keep them in the bags but on my shoe rack. Maybe I'll consider that...

I agree with MWS about keeping the trees in to prevent any bowing. One other thought, though, is to go ahead and break the shoes in before your wedding. The last thing you want on your wedding day is to have the shoes rub part of your foot raw or give you a blister early in the day when you are going to be on your feet and in those shoes all day and night. Plus, if you are going to go for a mirror shine on the toe, you'll want to get the creases set before attempting.

jns425

Reaction score
I agree with MWS about keeping the trees in to prevent any bowing. One other thought, though, is to go ahead and break the shoes in before your wedding. The last thing you want on your wedding day is to have the shoes rub part of your foot raw or give you a blister early in the day when you are going to be on your feet and in those shoes all day and night. Plus, if you are going to go for a mirror shine on the toe, you'll want to get the creases set before attempting.

Oh yea! That is the plan! I'm gonna wear them around the house a while before the wedding. It wasn't my intention to buy shoes a year in advance, but I started casually looking and was having a hard time finding something dressy without perforations or lines. Once I found them I figured I should buy them just in case it becomes hard to find.

Congratulations on your wedding!

I would store them sitting upright, with trees, in their bags if you feel like you can afford the space.

Thanks! Yea, I'm gonna try to do that.

bucksfan

Reaction score
**Custom Shoe Update**

Leeds are winning by far. To remind everyone, the proposed makeup is a dark brown shell upper, natural welt and sole edge, double-oak JR soles. AE has agreed to do these for us with no additional custom shoe fee and throw in free shoe trees.

A mockup is here: (I had to use their dark brown calf color, but you get the gist. An actual picture of AE's dark brown shell Strands next to the Ralph Lauren brown shell PTB is below as well.)

Those who have expressed interest are:

Todd V
Michael Haines
Fiestaplatypus
Papa Doble
Cold Iron
Patrick_b
Jimney: (maybe)
Slam (maybe?)
cbtaylor

Edited: -thesizzle, +cbtaylor

Any others? If not, I will contact AE this afternoon and see if they will do it for us, even though we don't have 10. If this ends successfully, maybe we'll make this an annual event! I will PM those who have expressed interest with AE's answer / ordering information.

PM sent to the individuals noted above - if anyone else wants in on this, PM me.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is annoying. Is it just me that AE likes to take a good while to respond to? It's been two days since I last sent my e-mail concerning a pair of factory second shoes.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is annoying. Is it just me that AE likes to take a good while to respond to? It's been two days since I last sent my e-mail concerning a pair of factory second shoes.

They are very hit and miss with the shoe lists. I think those emails are handled by salespeople in the stores, and they get busy with walk-in customers and/or forget to respond to emails. I sometimes have to send up follow up emails.

ckprax

Reaction score

It depends who you are working with. Edward at the Freeport outlet is very quick to respond, usually within a few minutes. You can reach him at [email protected]

Michael Haines

Reaction score

I was talking to Kristle today and I have always gotten emails returned with in a few hours but my last one didn't but because it got In the junk folder

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Yes, I would email a particular store, they seem better about responding than the shoebank

+1. I usually only get 50% of my questions answered when I email shoebank. I've never email the freeport store before. I assume we would get the same inventory list (whether freeport or shoebank), right?

what other emails are there aside from freeport and shoebank?

omgitswes

Reaction score
Which AE do you guys think will go best for a black tie event?
Could Park Avenues work if I just polish them? Don't really want any patent leather shoes

TheSizzle

Reaction score

Which AE do you guys think will go best for a black tie event?
Could Park Avenues work if I just polish them? Don't really want any patent leather shoes

In my opinion, black tie calls for something formal, like a whole-cut balmoral (like their old Hastings). Depending on the interpretation of "black tie," Park Ave could work. Maybe, you could give us more details about the event. I wouldn't be surprised if Park Ave were more formal than most men at supposedly black tie events. Unless you go to quite a few legitimately black tie gatherings, you probably don't need to buy new shoes.

omgitswes

Reaction score

In my opinion, black tie calls for something formal, like a whole-cut balmoral (like their old Hastings). Depending on the interpretation of "black tie," Park Ave could work. Maybe, you could give us more details about the event. I wouldn't be surprised if Park Ave were more formal than most men at supposedly black tie events. Unless you go to quite a few legitimately black tie gatherings, you probably don't need to buy new shoes.

It's a cotillion ball for my younger sister, so I doubt I'll get any side eyes from people. Best thing about the Park Aves is that I'll be able to wear them more after the event as well. Just wondering if there were any other similar options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads