Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

EDIT: The brown leeds would be the only one in which I might be interested. Is there an advantage to the group purchase (i.e. ability to get the brown shell or waiver of the custom fee)? In other words...is there cause for me to pull out my badly beaten wallet right now?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Nice. Are those shell or calf?

3. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Yes the fact we can choose the color and the welt color and no MTO charge so there is some savings and they are throwing in a set of shoe trees

4. atoms

atoms Senior member

After a thorough cleaning, I applied a couple light coats of neatsfool oil to darken up my pair of Natural colored McTavish. Being darker now, they stand out less, which is a good thing. In person they are more dull looking. The camera seems to saturate the colors a bit here.
    [​IMG]

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Well said, and I completely agree. When I think about the differences in an AE shoe and perhaps the next step up in price, like a C&J, think there are two things that stand out. First, the leather quality is definitely higher on a C&J. And second is the finishing. C&J does not let these types of flaws out the door, and that means either that they work more slowly and carefully - and thus each pair takes more time and costs more to make - or they are rejecting shoes (which likely leads to working yet more slowly and carefully).

I've commented on the AE videos taken in their factory, and it's clear that they are working quickly, with a mass production mentality.

Having said all this, I've rarely had a pair of firsts from AE that had flaws that would make me question the value of what I paid. But no matter what you think of the value, $335+ is a lot of money, and I think they could be a little more conscientious in their work. But for consumers, the only other option is to pay around $200 more for the next level of quality.

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

They are calf. But they do look like shell. Many people actually asked me if the were shells. My question ……. are they corrected grain ?
    I don’t think AE uses corrected grain(I could be wrong).
    They are Grayson in Merlot.The sizing on them are tricky. I went from 8D to 8.5B. Lol fits like glove.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They look good. Nice job with the neatsfoot oil.

8. althanis

althanis Senior member

I don't want to come off as rude, but are you aware that you can post more than 1 photo at a time in a post? I keep noticing that you post 3 times with one photo in each, and sometimes 2-3 posts with just a paragraph in each.

9. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I am sorry I tried to post more then one but via I phone it kept just using only the last one embedded. I'm sorry in that bothered you

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Those are looking great. I can't wait to see how the color mellows out in the next few days.

11. atoms

atoms Senior member

It's actually mellowed out. They were darker. The work was done about 5 days ago and they've been sitting until today when I finally wore them again.

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Well, that's fantastic. I really like my tan ones, and my cognac ones, but I'm really loving this color you've made in between.

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

14. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

Did a quick search on this but found more info about the Bayfields than the Daltons. Im about to pull the trigger on some Daltons but wanted some SF advice on the rubber sole options AE offers. Has anyone had them do the custom sole on a Dalton? If so, any pics?

If not having AE do it, my other thought was to just wear them as is for a while and then when they are ready to being re-soled get them rubber soled then. Or, another option, is to just Topy them from day one.

I'd love some advice from the AE fan-base!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

15. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

In response to bucksfan's post...

I would indeed be interested in either of the natural welt/brown shell options, if funding allows at the time. Since I don't yet have a plain toe blucher in shell, the Leeds would be my first choice.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.