1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Y'up, and the fact he has previously sold AE prototypes on EBay is what got me to wondering if this is on the horizon.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Right. I had the same thought. Wasn't the shell Kenilworth a special makeup somewhere for a huge mark up - like in the $700 range?

3. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Shell Kenilworth: Y u no 10D?!?

4. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Wow those are near perfect for a casual/ business casual shoe. If those were an E width and had a generous return policy, I mightve jumped. These and the custom makeup shell delrays posted earlier in this thread would render me helpless if they ever made it to general production (seconds of course [​IMG])

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

Yeah, Freemans Sporting Club sells them for $780:

http://shop.freemanssportingclub.com/collections/footwear/products/ae-x-fsc-kenilworth

As an aside, I love the suede Macneil with the contrasting natural welt they have. I wish AE would offer something like that directly.

6. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

According to the auction details, this pair is from a cancelled special order. If they were production samples, they should be size 9D, so I don't think AE is necessarily offering shell Kenilworths in their catalog soon. I think they should though, as shell Kenilworths should be fairly popular, I'd think.

7. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I love this shoe. Can you get some pics of yours, please?

8. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I just jumped on these. I've been really admiring that Freemans Sporting Club pair for a while, so needless to say I'm quite excited. Thanks for the heads up!

BTW, I'm an 8.5D in the Strand, but the one 8.5D calf Kenilworth I tried on may've been a tad big for me. If these don't work out for me, I hope I can find them a home amongst you all.

9. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

That is a handsom shoe! Congrats! I'd love to see a black shell version.

10. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

That is a handsom shoe! Congrats! I'd love to see a black shell version.

11. frank212

frank212 Member

Thanks, GOP! So this was sent by postal mail....I thought it was an email blast so I was perturbed when the only received AE email was an invitation to meet the Knicks coach at the new 43rd St. store in Manhattan.

12. frank212

frank212 Member

[​IMG]Uh...wearing my waterproof corrected-grain bicycle-toe Rockports today in case it rains. Don't want water on my AEs and not interviewing.
    At least they're shiny.

13. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

[​IMG]

14. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Sounds like you need a nice pair of Horween leather shoes, any CXL or shell. Get yourself a pair of ankle boots made out of CXL, and you'll never have to worry about the rain and ahving to wear corrected-grain shoes again.

15. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Congrats! Shell Kenilworth was my dream for a while. I still love my shell leeds but sleeker ptb would be great addition.

16. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

It cooled down enough to wear pants, but I think hashtagging #WhiteShoesAtTheBlackShow might be a bit too bold.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Nice, Might have to get those

Discount I saw on Dappered, for bigger size gents

DestinationXL: 25% off Highest Priced Item including Allen Edmonds w/ NEWH

[​IMG]
    They make these up to size 15?
    The Picks: Flatiron – $251.25 ($325), 5th Street Boots – $262.50 ($350)
    Y’know what they say about a guy with big feet? They say he can get 25% off Allen Edmonds Shoes at DestinationXL.com today if he signs up for their email list. It’s actually 25% off your highest priced item with the code NEWH, and once you sign up (lower right hand corner of their website) you’ll get a confirmation email. Click through from that and you should see the offer appear. Use code NEWH at checkout. And actually, you don’t even have to be a true big foot, since their sizing starts at 10 for their selection of AE shoes. Strangely, there aren’t any half sizes. And the 10 and 11 options might only come in wide widths. But, it’s been awhile since the larger guys in the readership got a hat-tip in their direction. Thanks to Andrew R. for the style tip.

18. frank212

frank212 Member

CXL? I'll have to look into that. Once I log a few more wearings of my shells, I'll have the courage to wear them in the rain. I read that new shells are susceptible to water spots. That would make me sad.

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Congrats on another pair of shell! They are addicting and do not come with a warning label about it either.

I was nervous at first about saying that I use Renomat to strip the cream but so far it hasn't an issue at all. AE for what ever reason decides to use cream, but Alden and every other company that makes shell products will say to use only a little wax and then very little and seldom. I do not strip all of my shell shoes but let time and brushing take care of it if it is not too bad. But some of them are just loaded with it. I do believe in the Mac method and brushing shell with a heavy layer of cream on top does not allow the oils to come out. And I do feel wax provides more protection than cream from water.
    Awesome! So everyone that wanted a pair took Paul up on his offer and emailed him to see about getting a pair, right?
    This is so true where I am also. And we are in the very small minority.
    Nicely done! I hear you about the freezing rain and today have that with a bunch of that white rain mixed in too :-(

One of my foul weather shoes I wear happens to be AE cobbler leather, an old pair of Sheltons. Renomat cleans up the creases fairly well but doesn't strip the factory finish off. They can handle a lot of abuse.

[​IMG]
    I also wear them as a "fun" shoe. They handle spilled drinks and beer very well also.

Absolutely perfect and pretty sure you put the first smile on my face all day! And don't forget to tell him how you want your stock options done...

It is because of YOU that I now own a pair of shell Patriots. The first loafer that I found which has ever fit me correctly, thank you. And because of you I also ordered the Filson wheeled carry on which came 2 days ago. I didn't get tan however but brown to go with my 258 and sportsman bag. My pullman is otter green. No idea why that bag doesn't get any mention in the Filson thread, what a great bag thank you once again.
    Nice score to say the least!! And I hope they do fit you. Of course if they were a 10D I'd likely choke to death just trying to say that :)

20. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Well that is just a matter of how you treat or wear them. You can protect shell/chromexcel from the weather and have gorgeous dress shoes. Or you can wear them in the weather, and get wonderful patina. The spots go away, and you can (if you don't mind darkening them) sno-seal them to get a beautiful, super-weather-resistant boot. CXL gets a lot more beat up, but also can be buffed to a shine and develops beautiful wear patterns. Unfortunately, it's been a year or two since AE made CXL boots (Bayfields and North Plattes) but maybe they'll come back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.