Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bootman777

bootman777 Member

what model is this? and 99?

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

That is easily fixed. But very poor quality control on AE's part. I wonder if they'll offer to repair it, or to give you new shoes.

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Bourbon McCallister, I think.

I hope the former, as it took a while, 6 weeks, to get these the first time around. We'll see!

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I noticed the Fifth Streets on clearance have the butyl leather soles. I have those on my Wolverines, and I think I'm a fan. Nice extra grip without having to go to the combination tap sole (which I also think is a good idea.). Anyone know how long the butyl treatments lasts? I assume it wears off after a while and exposes the regular leather underneath.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I really think a repair will be trivial. A local cobbler could do it. But maybe they'll give a credit to use on another pair of shoes, as an apology. That's a crappy user experience that shouldn't ever happen.

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Gentlemen, I have a request. I've posted a few times expressing my satisfaction with the AE Neumok. Some of you share my enthusiasm. I've been trying to get a MTO for an unlined Strand using the Neumok rough leather (a medallion cap toe Neumok if you will). The AE store manager I work with has been unable to push through an order. I am going to email AE via their customer feedback address ([email protected]). I would ask any and all SF members who may have interest to send an email as well requesting the Strand using the unlined "Rough" collection leather. Maybe we can get it in as a webgem (after some of the webgems I've seen this would be a major improvement). Thank you all in advance for your suppport. Wear your AEs in good health!

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I don't do much with AE, but am always willing to entertain a new purchase.. can you post up a style of shoe and leather you are hoping for?

I think I owe you a pm for a modified kudu boot too iirc, I'll just follow you around and jump on your MTOs lol

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Well, really, I want a Strand in the olive Neumok leather. But they should be able to do any color offered in the Neumok (even suede). I just want something other than a wingtip.

This shoe style (medallion cap toe)
    [​IMG]

With this leather (though I think all the colors should be offered)
    [​IMG]

Yes, I'd like to get the Kudu Indy off of the ground, but the interest level is very low.

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I have the Fifth Streets and I feel that they do not feel any grippier than any of my other leather sole shoes/boots.

I totally agree, but I feel that I shouldn't have to pay to repair it. These were my first AEs, but I have never had this happen on a pair of shoes ever. If they say that I have to pay to get it repaired, I may just get them repaired at my own cost.

10. slam

slam Well-Known Member

Looks like you have already know that Nordstrom's has some Allen Edmonds on sale. I think I would go for the brown Cliftons or black Strands. Both are good choices.

Edit: Looks like the Cliftons are not on AE website, so I am assuming they are being discontinued?

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Oh, I didn't mean that you should pay for the repair. I just meant that it's not a difficult thing to do and shouldn't be a big deal. They should absolutely either fix it or pay for someone local to fix it, if you wish.

12. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Yeah I think that would be cool Edit email been sent What the kudo Indy you speak of

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Wore the McTavish in black the other day. Still taking some time to break in; kind of rough on the insole. Please excuse the white socks.

[​IMG]

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Actually, they are never on the AE website.

15. jimney

jimney Senior member

I had that on my Elgins. It lasted about a year + maybe 2 months before I decided to have it replaced, as it was getting close to the leather at that point. I wore those shoes pretty frequently and didn't baby them, but I wasn't in a real "urban" environment so there was not a lot of walking on concrete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.