Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

+1. I think Reno'Mat is the polish stripper, while Renovateur is a conditioner. Hangerproject is an excellent site for explaining how to use these products. He even has pictures showing the result from using the Reno'Mat

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Yes, Renomat strips off the old polish.

3. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

To the guys who bought that RL boot makeup what where your thoughts. Now that you have them in person

4. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate it. Yes, the Jefferson is still a beautiful shoe regardless of the darkening. The color is very unique, and I do like it. I just feel like I should have it close to the original since it is am almost $500 shoe. Thanks again to all for the input. I appreciate it.

On another not, I order the last pair of 12d Amsterdam Bourbons from Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank. Hopefully as a 2nd quality there aren't any issues with them. I'm looking forward to getting those.

5. PerCC

PerCC Active Member

Hey there guys. I am having the hardest time deciding between two styles of shoes, and I was looking for some help.

For my accounting internship starting in a little under two weeks, I have ordered the Brown Kenilworths. I like how simple, clean, and conservative the Kenilworths are. I want to get a second pair to start a rotation going, and here is where my indecision comes from.

The two I have narrowed down for the second pair are Walnut McAllisters and Walnut Strands, both very popular styles (and similar). I will be wearing these shoes in a business casual environment, usually with a pair of light grey/charcoal/navy slacks and a button down dress shirt. My question is which do you guys prefer, and why? I'm also open to other suggestions, in case you guys think those two options are a little too flashy for an intern looking for a full time hire. For reference, I have a small foot at 8.5E; I've heard that can make a difference between styles.

Thanks for all of your input!

Note: These walnut shoes will not be pulling double duty as a casual shoe as well - strictly a dress shoe.

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree with Papa Doble, well said. I also would consider the brown shell Leeds too and would be more than willing to explore other options that may come up also. I already have the Shelton on burg\black but in the old polished cobbler leather. Was hoping to get the walnut\brown but shell in general is getting hard to come by I understand that. Bandit took the time and posted a picture of his shell Shelton's so as a reminder of what they look like:
    Speaking of Cambridge yesterday I used Venetian Cream for the first time in many years and for the first time on shell. My #8 Cambridge are ~a year old and have had 2 thin coats of burgundy polish over the last year. And a lot of brushing. They see pretty regular wear and are one of my favorite shoes. The VC took a bit more elbow grease than Reno but it is just as effective IMO. Seemed to have reduced the amount of rolls in the leather also? Finished with thin coat of black paste wax then of course Alden Defender and now I have the black cherry look that I have wanted for a long, long time. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

You make good point on staying with the saddle but I too would be interested in the Leeds with the brown shell natural welt

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

My dark brown shell Leeds are one of my favorite AE models. Highly recommended!!

9. meister

meister Senior member

Forgeddabbouddit! They are a fabulous unusual colour.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Walnut Strands are a popular choice, but I don't think you can go wrong with either. The only reason I would lean towards the Strands is so that you can get the McAllister in Merlot at a later date. The Strand doesn't come in Merlot.

11. PerCC

PerCC Active Member

Thanks for the input kind sir. On a similar note, my plan is to sometime in the future get a pair of Strands/McAllisters (whichever pair I don't get in walnut) in bourbon - I absolutely love that color. I see that the Strands come in bourbon, but it doesn't look like the McAllisters do... So perhaps that makes my choice for me.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I love the idea of dark brown shell Leeds w/brown welt & edge trim. Similarly spec'd Macneil would be my 2nd choice.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The Leeds of which you speak sit in my master closet as I type. They look great - and are very comfortable. :nodding:

14. lostron

lostron Senior member

I think some of my shoes have expanded slightly from shoe trees. Even though they are the correct size from Allen Edmonds, they seem too big / difficult to put in and take out sometimes. This seems to have only happened to shoes that had trees in them that have not been worn in a few months.

Has anyone experienced this and if so how can I bring the shoes back to their original size?

15. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

The Fifth Street boots are on sale as a closeout style. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.