1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wohwoh

wohwoh Well-Known Member

Is there a specific formal model that everyone goes for in Alden?

Thanks. The Vernon seems to be on another last and a formal interview shoes from what I can see. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

These are how they look.
    Do you have any recommendations I can possibly try within the AE brand? As stated earlier, I'm thinking about the Vernon, but wasn't sure if that would pass as formal shoes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

HI, I've done a search on Google and in this forum and I haven't found a relevant post regarding the comparative fit of the AE Jefferson. I've got a a couple of pairs (Fairfax and 5th Avenue) on the #5 Last and they fit me great in a 9D, however I've had to return a couple of 9D on the same Last over the years. The Strand was too narrow and the Kenilworth was just too big overall.

I am thinking of getting the Jefferson in dark brown however I don't have access to a store that carries the particular style. I am hoping some of the forum members who have the Jefferson can comment on the fit in comparison to either the Strand, 5th Ave or Fairfax. Thanks in advance.

3. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

4. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

While the Vernons may not meet the exact definition of a formal interview shoe, to me they do make for fantastic dress shoe. With the exception of the small stitched area around the eye stays, they are close to a whole-cut. Though there is some perfing, it doesn't go overboard, unlike my socks:

[​IMG]

I'm exceptionally pleased with mine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  5. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

It's too early for me to think about being behind a desk, but those shoes look nice.

I guess frogwash could also consider the Harrisons, but I don't know how that last would work for him.

1 person likes this.
  6. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

This took time to be approved so many probably missed my post. Anyone?

Those are Strand in 11D. My 11D McTavish fit perfectly btw.

7. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

If they're brand new, they'll probably break in a bit and the gap will probably be cut in half (at least in my experience). I don't think they look bad as is, especially if they're comfortable, and I don't think you have enough space to go wider. I think the next width might close the gap while still leaving you space. You could try on an E, but I think those look fine as is!

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Though they are both on the same last, comparing the fit of the McTavish to any of the calf shoes doesn't work. The McTavish is made from a tougher leather than the Stand (or any calf), so it doesn't fit as tightly around the last. They typically run a half-size bigger than the calf equivalent. I would try an 11.5D. For me, I typically take a 9.5E in the 5-last, but for the McTavish, I went down to a 9E.

9. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I do not have the Fairfax or Kenilworth but have a lot of other 5 lasted shoes including the Jefferson in dark brown. I do recall reading that the Fairfax and Kenilworth fit a bit differently.
    Looks like the Kenilworth fits half a size larger than other 5 lasted shoes. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...mber-5-Park-Avenue-(and-others)-vs-Kenilworth And the Fairfax is a bit shorter and wider than other 5 lasted shoes. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...ing-down-to-fit-into-the-Allen-Edmonds-5-last

Most 5 lasted shoes fit me perfectly in TTS, I own the Shell Cambridge, Shell PA, Shell Strand, McAllister, McTavish, Black Hills, Elgin, Strawfut, Brooks 7 and Jefferson. The shell shoes fit just slightly larger than calf but not enough to size down, I'd say .025 size difference not a full half size larger. The Jefferson is somewhat in between, just a little more room than the calf but not as large as the shell. The difference is very slight but the leather is soft and has a little give to it is what I think is the reason. Certainly worth a try IMO and it is a great shoe. Good luck.

[​IMG]

Same here. For all 3 of my rough collection shoes I went down to a 9.5D from a 10D and they fit perfectly.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

And your CXL Bayfield's are looking good!

12. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Help me out fellow AE'ers. Dark brown cordovan cream from AE, I would assume that is fine to use on calfskin leather, yes?

Thank you.

13. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

14. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Well... true for me too... almost. [​IMG]
    As the length of the shoe remains the same even though the leather does not fit as tightly around the last, I'd recommend to just go down in width, but not in size, i.e. for me the Cambridge fits in 11.5E, the McTavish in 11.5D.

15. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks. They're not brand new but still pretty new. Hopefully they'll stretch a bit more.
    That makes sense. Too bad I wasn't aware when I got them.

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I don't know. What's the main ingredient? With Saphir, the calfskin polish has turpentine (or something similar) to help the polish penetrate into the shoe. The cordovan cream, however, is primarily neatsfoot oil as turpentine is harmful to shell.

It's not like AE polish is that expensive, why not get the appropriate calfskin polish?

17. alvin545

alvin545 Member

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the squeakiness of my new brown calf Neumoras? I suspect it's the large leather flap on the double monkstrap rubbing on the leather underneath that's the cause. Is there any way to alleviate the sound? Many thanks in advance!

18. facet

facet Senior member

I don't know if this helps but I have the Jefferson and Kenilworth but not the Strand,5th or Fairfax; the PAs are my only other 5 last shoe. I noticed that the Jefferson's were a little larger volume wise compared to my PA's such that I had a little bit of heel slippage; I ended up using tongue pads and that took care of the problem. I certainly wouldn't want to size down though, although going down in width may have helped.

19. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I concur. My Kenilworth's are 7.5E. Other 5 last shoes are 8E. Coincidentally, I'm an 8.5D on the 8 last.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  20. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Seems to me these could be laced a bit tighter...a bit loose around the ankle, possibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.