Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

Nope. The little shoe profile (not always obvious what it is) means seconds. The W means that they can't be sold through Allen Edmonds retail channels. Generally this is because the damage is worse than what would normally qualify them as seconds or because they were worn and returned.

2. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I am not sure if I am the one that got the pair. But I was doing an exchange because my 1st Randolph didn't fit right when I take the SA's suggestion for a 10.5D and turned out that I am a 11D. So I mentioned to the SA about the sale and he took care of the rest for me. AE customer service is once again proved to be one of the best.

btw, I think the SA called and ordered the shoe around 5pm est

3. REguy

REguy Senior member

Received my pair of brown Malvern chukka seconds today. They turned out to be great shoes for the price, the leather and finishing are really nice, and there's no break-in required. I'd highly recommend picking up a pair if you're into chukkas, but I wouldn't pay full retail.

4. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Quote:

Yep, they do a great job helping out. I was calling to see if there was anything I could exchange the burgundy Randolph's I posted above for. Made the call about 8:00EST tonight. He said it looked like there was a 10.5E brown 5th ave at another store and he would call to see if it was available. Came back from being on hold a couple minutes later and he said it was already being held for another customer.

Looks like you beat me by 3 hours! But, they're going to let me return the Randolphs and keep the one other pair for $150. I'm paying return shipping, but I appreciate them doing it for me nonetheless.

5. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

^good to hear that they are also willing to help out with you. I had the same Randolph in size 10.5D and ended returning them cuz size was wrong and I don't like how it pushes my feet forward while walking in them. But they let you keep it at $150 is awesome. Shipping should be < $10 even with priority mail if you do a USPS online pay. what's the other shoe that you got?

6. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Lasalle in chili. Very happy with them.

But my my two most recent purchases are now walnut and chili, so i'm falling a bit behind in the darker colors. These AE's are my first real quality purchases (first job out of school), and I hate having to go with a beat up pair of dark brown cole haan's when I need something darker. Takes time to build the right wardrobe though.

7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

ya i m graduating in May, so that's why I am trying to get my gears now. when it's cheap. I m going to wait and see if the dalton will come back on sale for $149 again, if they do that'll be my next pair.

8. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

can't blame you there, i'd certainly be tempted at that price too

9. otc

otc Senior member

The normal seconds mark as far as I know is almost like something that might happen naturally (step on something and get a gouge in the instep where you don't normally walk). I think they do this intentionally so you can't run some scam and return a second in exchange for a first...but after you start wearing them, the sole basically looks normal.

The W (like what is on my "thirds") will never really look accidental...but for the price you shouldn't complain. Nordstrom seems to do something similar with little circular punches when they sell stuff at the Rack.

10. RZach

RZach Well-Known Member

Gotcha - that makes sense. I guess I hadn't realized the difference between the 2nds mark and the 3rds mark. Just figured they were different versions of the same thing.

11. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with the Wilbert? I would be interested in making that my casual/bad weather shoe...

12. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

What color did you get? I have the black grain and they are nice but I can't seem to find out what to wear with them to really make the shoes excel with an outfit.

13. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the Wilbert and it is probably my favorite casual shoe. Very comfortable as the 1 last fits my foot very well. And the Wilbert has a lot of padding compared to their dress shoes - the Wilbert has a nice ring of padding around your ankle and the insole is the padded Poron.

You can treat the Wilbert with some aqua cream and it should be good in wet weather. And the sole is designed for wet/slushy stuff. I really like the look of the Wilbert with jeans and cords. It's a stretch for business casual in my opinion, but I usually wear them on Fridays when it's a bit more casual than regular business casual. And they are a perfect weekend shoe.

Chris

14. fastfiat81

fastfiat81 Active Member

I sent a pair of AEs that had the W on the sole to get recrafted. An old pair of Chesters I think. They were returned untouched. I called AE and they said since these were sold at a significant discount they could not rework them. Guess it makes sense if they are "thirds". I could not find an obvious flaw though. Has anyone else run into this?

15. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Were they too far gone? Or they refused to? Thats weird, because im pretty sure they should recraft any pair of Allen Edmonds, as long as they arent too ruined...
    Were these seconds from an outlet?

Thats good to hear. I want a pair in brown, but I really dont want to pay the seconds price until they go on sale. Did you buy them as firsts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.