1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rootskier

rootskier Active Member

Fair enough, I saw the description. I just think that both the creases and the sheen screams "shell."

2. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I think the small wrinkle on the upper of the left shoe (at the place where the pinky toe would be) is too fine. You could always ask the seller if they are shell cordovan. If he says yes and they actually are not, you can just return.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

As well, the photo of the sole shows a standard original Allen Edmonds sole and heel. Their shell shoes have JR soles with combination heels.

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Quote:Great Catch Adam!

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Wow am I out of the loop! I retired a few years before you came in [​IMG] But still have 10 years to go in Civ World working before I'm really retired for good. I've been out long enough now that when I see shoes with leather exposed and no polish I find it easier to fight the urge to walk over to them and say "How about standing a little closer to the Kiwi next time!"

You certainly know how to take care of your shoes no matter who makes them. The ability to have a good shoe resoled is one of the things I try to explain to people when they ask about my shoes and ask how much they cost, etc. Quite a few people have asked me at work about them over the years but they still (usually) end up buying those made in China clown shoes instead. I would still use it on your wife though!

6. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Thanks very much.

7. konda

konda Senior member

Is there any way to polish my burgundy shell MacNeils to look like this? I use AE's shell cream and all it gives me is a dark burgundy finish. Suggestions appreciated! Love the shoe, but find the color too dark!

Edit: Mine aren't vintage but only 6 months old.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

The Mac Method might be a good place to start with your shell care. I don't know how much you should do to preemptively change the color, but they might lighten a bit over time.

http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.com/2010/10/05/the-mac-method/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  9. delmar

delmar Senior member

It's worth the trip if you have at least two hours to kill. I've been there several times and I don't think I've ever left empty handed. It makes for a good opportunity to try on a lot of different shoes in sizes very close to your normal size that sometimes make for a better fit than you'd think. If you head to the larger back part of the store--where the seconds are--they'll pretty much leave you alone to really scrounge around, they just check on you every so often to see if you need any help. If you find something you like but it doesn't quite fit, they can quickly find out if any of the other outlets has the right size for you.

10. konda

konda Senior member

^^much obliged!!

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree with Sizzle. Use Renovateur to try and get all that AE polish off and proceed to use the Mac Method.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yep and I agree with this totally. First thing I do when I get new AE shell is strip the factory cream off.

For decades shell meant #8, and most all men just used black polish on them, and a few blue polish. Too much gunks them up but a little now and then helps get the patina a bit faster so you end up with that "Black Cherry" look. Time and brushing.

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Reading about all of this talk of shell, with a new pair of shell cordovan, should I immediately follow the Mac method? Or should I bother cleaning/conditioning and polishing the shoes before wearing them?

With my calf shoes I always clean/condition and polish them before wearing.

14. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

^ I think it gives better shine after you strip off factory polish. Both of my shells had uneven factory polish on toe area which totally covered shell shine.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I've been using Venetian Shoe Cream but just this past week picked up some Renovateur, which promptly got applied to my black shell Leeds and burgundy shell Daltons. The stuff's expense and reputation are completely justified -- that quintessential soft glow suddenly appeared.

16. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Your DIY edge treatment/antiquing looks fantastic!

17. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I used Renomat (a lot of it) to clean deep down and remove a lot of black gunk. Then I used AE conditioner cleaner, because this was a year ago and I hadn't gotten Renovateur yet, I think. I used way too much cleaner conditioner before I learned better to apply very small amounts of product to shell.

Here recently, I adopted the Mac Method of using a damp cloth and horse hair brushing. Then a very little Renovateur and a little AE cordovan polish around the dried out parts that I probably stripped too much with Renomat when I first got them.

I used fine grain sand paper to strip the sole edges and chili dressing to give a more natural welt look. Below are some pics when I first got them and started refinishing.

Incidentally, I don't have any Venetian Shoe Cream.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the right shoe was overloaded with product and would not shine up. I eventually stripped that down and learned a neat little trick with this pair of shell and some AE brown shell Strands that I got new, but had a similar problem with too much factory polish on one shoe, such that it wouldn't shine up.

Take a clean dry finger, like your thumb and swipe it across the surface of the shoe. It should squeak from the friction. If it doesn't squeak, then there is too much product and it won't shine up. With both shoes, I applied Renomat in numerous applications until I got to the squeak. Then a light bit of Renovateur or AE shell polish, brushing, and then after several wears, the Mac Method.

After some trial and error (but before following the Mac Method) I made some improvemens by stripping down the excess cleaner conditioner:

[​IMG]

However, the right shoe still wouldn't shine up as well, and after one day's wearing, the right shoe was dull in comparison to the left.

Recently, I started the Mac Method, yielding much better results. I scrubbed that shoe repeatedly with the damp cloth, then brushing, then repeated the process several times over an hour. The squeak test started to work much better, such that I felt confident applying the little bit of Renovateur and then AE shell polish to just a few dry areas.

The results picture I posted last week:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the example of my brown shell AE's for the first many months I owned them, when I couldn't get one toe to polish up due to too much product (some of that being my fault by applying a bunch of AE cleaner conditioner when I first got them). Then look at my efforts from last week following the Mac Method. Much better results.

Right out of the box, they didn't look bad, but I mistakenly applied a whole bunch of cleaner conditioner and futzed up the left toe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The squeak test would not work on the left toe forever, but this past week I got down to the good stuff with repeated mac method applications. Very pleased with the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Thank you very much. I love 'em. Planning to wear them on Sunday and I can't wait!!

19. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Those are beautiful brown shells. I hope the Mac method will work out for mine!

20. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Thanks, a lot, Patrick! That was the first time I tried that, and I got lucky. It helped that I got them cheap off ebay and was not as worried about taking a chance.

One tip:

I used Scotch tape on the shell upper just above the welt, such that when the sand paper slipped a little bit and potentially hit the shell upper, it didn't scratch. Kind of like using "painter's tape" if that makes sense.

Also, AE's chili edge treatment is awesome. Neutral is also good to have.

Incidentally, I've been meaning to try the natural edge treatment on some vintage Florsheim Imperial Burgundy Shell PTB's. I'll post results when I do it. The shoes are below.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.