1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Those are fantastic. I wouldn't complain if they started making those again! [​IMG] I didn't notice the pinked edges of the toe-cap the first time I saw those, it looks good and sets them apart nicely from the Park Avenue (besides the longer cap and different last, of course).

2. iootong

iootong Member

Any one can tell me Allen Edmonds Leeds size for me if Alden Leydon last i'm 5.5E? Thanks

:puzzled::puzzled:

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Thanks!

Would love more 8 last!

The longer cap and the 8 last was the answer I was looking for in a captoe. I'm glad I didn't settle for the Park Avenue.

4. Todd V

Todd V Senior Member

My guess for you is 5.5E in the Leeds, though possibly the D. That Leydon last is quite narrow. I never owned a pair, but I do remember trying them on. I'm a 7.5E in Leeds and Strand.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Nice pickup and nice job! I like the placement of the cap toe on those a lot. IMO you did well holding out for the right cap toe shoe.

My older Shelton's are polished cobbler leather. After a couple years of wear I used RenoMat to strip them and then Reno to condition and then cream and wax to finish. It helped with the creases a little bit however it is a lot of work for a little short term gain. They do handle the elements well. I seldom wear them any more, mainly on dates as a "fun" shoe more than anything. They are very comfortable and durable as well. I would not purchase another pair of polished cobbler leather shoes again, but don't regret these either. If they offered a pair in #8 and black shell that would be another story.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Very nice! I commented just the other day that the best AE captoes are all discontinued models (0 last Evanston and Soho and 8 last Niles and balmoral Clifton).

7. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

My older Shelton's are polished cobbler leather. After a couple years of wear I used RenoMat to strip them and then Reno to condition and then cream and wax to finish. It helped with the creases a little bit however it is a lot of work for a little short term gain. They do handle the elements well. I seldom wear them any more, mainly on dates as a "fun" shoe more than anything. They are very comfortable and durable as well. I would not purchase another pair of polished cobbler leather shoes again, but don't regret these either. If they offered a pair in #8 and black shell that would be another story.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Noice. You wouldn't happen to be a 9.5D? If not, any one out there wanna hook a brotha up with some bugundy/black sheltons (at a holiday discount)?

Back to the subject at hand: I like the before pix as well. I think that creases add character.

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Awsome Allen Edmonds video recently released. It looks even older than the other vintage 1940's video floating around. I especially loved the end, where the guy is stomping on the shoes and drowning them in water to show their durability. I can't imagine doing that to my shoes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

9. jch1

jch1 Senior Member

Did I by chance miss a recent sale on Cliftons?

10. jch1

jch1 Senior Member

Also, did anybody see that the Patriot is being offered in "football leather" now?

11. Grayland

Grayland Distinguished Member

Also the Byron (#4 last). I have them in chili and in black.

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

Thanks Michael!

Yes, they were $99 for seconds on Black Friday :foo:.

Picture?

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Distinguished Member

Ok, I have some pics to explain what I'm talking about in the above post.

Here's the pair of Chili Fairfax that I saw at Nordstrom Rack, which look like mine used to when I bought them. I really like the overall color/shades/etc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here are mine, about 6-7 months after I bought them, and after a few coats (over the course of that time) of Chili AE Premium Polish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know my pictures aren't the greatest quality, but as you can see my pair seem to have lost any variations in shade and seem to have "smoothed out" to a more reddish monochromatic look. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get them looking more like in the first two pics? For reference, I currently have a few other polish colors (actually, aside from Black I just have Cognac and Saddle Brown), although I'm willing to get other stuff if necessary.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

If you really like the original color/finish, you should just polish with Renovateur or Saphir clear and wax the toe (if desired). To get it back to the original color/finish, try the AE cleaner/conditioner first. If that does not work, you could try Renomat, but be careful with it and make sure to condition several times after finished.

15. zazadojo

zazadojo Well-Known Member

HHHMMM, you have a great shade of red there. I would likely apply a thin amount of black to burnish then go back to the color you are using to give it some depth.....it will take some work but you could potentially have a very dynamic color after youre done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.