1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

2. GeorgeCostanza

GeorgeCostanza Member

So I went to try on Strands in walnut today. Absolutely fell in love immediately. Any info on sales that I've missed? As a college kid I can't rationalize dropping ticket price on a pair of dress shoes before I even have the full time job.

3. Jay Clay

Jay Clay Active Member

$199 at my store right now... that's a pretty good price

4. GeorgeCostanza

GeorgeCostanza Member

It really is. Damn if only it was March or April when I had the extra cash to throw. I'm living a pipe dream right now hoping to find them in the 150 range. Gotta buy a couple suits too.

5. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior Member

So if dublin leather is different...what is the proper way to polish these things? I've been using the AE premium shoe polish pretty much for all my calf leathers.

6. Jay Clay

Jay Clay Active Member

well I'm be on the forum keeping everybody posted so you always got me, lol

7. stylememerry

stylememerry Member

I think AE as kept up there quality better then many other men's brands. I wonder if the change from the vintage models is from a lack of other shoes made in the U.S

8. andrew4h

andrew4h Active Member

Anyone have pics of the Long Branch in tan (preferably in the wild if you got em)? I looked on AE and they only have pics of the dark brown grain leather and the brown waxy leather.

9. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior Member

10. almasy

almasy New Member

Bucksfan-

Can you please provide Kristle's contact info? What store is she at?

Thanks!

11. envgeo

envgeo Member

Update to my post a week or so ago. I wore the strands in my office as directed by the manager at my local store. However, the cork footbed never conformed to my feet and the large ridge remains in both shoes (right worse than left). Hopefully the next pair will be a better fit. (i was sized by the manager of the store before we ordered the shoes).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

And what he said! Yes you do....

Last night my tan Krause were waiting for me when I got home. Much better shape than the russet ones. They were a bit more yellow than I had hoped and very light colored overall. Both had some blemishes and one was darker than the other. The leather is slightly different than the russet Krause, more like the McTavish. The fit in 9.5 was about the same as the 9.5 RW beckman and identical to the 1K 744 in shell in size 10D. The heel has a bit of play in it but nothing I can't live with. If they were the same color IRL as in the picture with flash I might have left them as is.

[​IMG]

I started off with saddle soap and hot water to cut the finish. I had intended to apply neatsfoot oil like I did on my McTavish to darken them. The Krause and McTavish both had one shoe that was darker than the other, I think the Dublin leather is hard to match properties when making a shoe. By applying coats of neatsfoot oil to darken the McTavish I was able to even out the color so that both matched. But I was a bit too aggressive with the scrub brush (didn't I say to use a sponge?!) on the Krause and parts of them turned almost white when they dried. So plan B.... Saphir Reno and Saphir Medium Brown cream. It took several coats and some work but I was able to get them evened out in color. They really shined up more than I thought they would with just the cream, but cream has no protection against the elements. Debated between AE premium polish in chili or Saphir Med Brown paste wax. Decided to go all Saphir on these at this point. Down the road will likely start using a burgundy paste wax for some red tones. But they turned out great in the end. I can even wear them as a semi-dress boot instead of my original intent of just a jean boot. The laces are the same ones that are on the 744 and they look fine on the 744's. But they do make the Krause look a bit more casual and I will start looking for some thicker round laces as others have mentioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks bucksfan what a great pickup at a great price!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

13. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior Member

They turned out great

14. sportin_life

sportin_life Distinguished Member

Thanks guys! Grabbed a pair of the walnut cordovan strands... been looking for these for a while! My brown strands are my most worn shoes, so hopefully these will break my "frequent" rotation.

15. catside

catside Distinguished Member

+1000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.