Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

In and of themselves, round laces might work on those boots, but they would have to be thicker. The heft of the shoe and minimalism of the laces you tried create a visual imbalance that I find displeasing. Others might disagree, but that's my opinion.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

They both look fine.

3. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

I completely agree and was thinking the same thing. I do prefer a round lace but perhaps something like you would find in a hiking boot.

4. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

I have been waiting to see someone color the exposed ends of the leather. Do you plan on it or has someone done something similar with a desired or undesired result?

5. mikeeygee

mikeeygee Member

Hey,

So I posted this a while ago, but since I'm relatively new it had to go through the mods, and for whatever reason got posted back to the time I wrote it rather than the time it was actually posted, so it ended up buried a few pages back. Just wanted to bump it to see if anyone knew what I should do. I'm kind of freaking out that there might not be a fix.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Flat. Agree with TheSizzle.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

This. Round, but fatter. I usually end up with square leather lacing all my boots. Not a fan of the flat laces at all.

I didn't even think about that, but now that you mention it, I think that would look great. I'll try something and get back to you.

8. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

No doubt. I was thinking it may be better to use edge dressing here..thoughts?

9. catside

catside Senior member

Jay is very helpful. I am going to ask Paul G to appoint him SF AE thread ambassador.

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Definitely. If I had some on hand, I'd use that. Unfortunately, I don't. I'll probably just end up using a sharpie and then going over it with black polish. Might try to see if I can get edge dressing at the grocery store, though.

11. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks for that info - something I didn't know about stretching of hand stitched vs goodyear-welted. Good to keep that in mind for the future. As for the Randolphs, they are easier to get into now after wearing them around the house for a bit. I will definitely be keeping them.

I have a couple questions if anyone can help me out please:

1) I received my Delray and Amsterdam shoes from the Black Friday sale today. They are both in fine condition to my eyes but the Amsterdam is on the combo sole. I am wondering if others who got the Amsterdam seconds also have the combo sole (rubber mostly with a little leather)? Just wondering, not a problem for me and it's good to have one pair in my collection in the combo sole.

2) I need to dedicate some time now to clean and polish all 5 pairs I have. I have Saphir Reno and various AE color polishes. Am I supposed to apply Reno and polish with my old t-shirts or the horsehair brushes? Right now I believe the method is to dust them off with my old t-shirts, apply Reno, buff with horsehair brush after a few minutes, then apply polish, wait a few minutes and then buff with horsehair brush.

12. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

My understanding of Reno is that you would basically use it in place of the AE cleaner/conditioner when first using. I.e. apply a light coat of reno all over the shoe (with a clean cloth or t-shirt), allow to dry, then apply a coat of polish if desired, allow to dry, then brush with horsehair brush. If desired, you can finish by buffing with a clean cloth/t-shirt. Others may have different preferred processes, though.

After the initial polishing, you can then just continue to add a little Saphir from time to time to clean and condition the leather, and only need to add additional polish if desired (i.e. to cover scuffs, restore colour, etc).

13. zchen

zchen Senior member

All Amsterdams were made with the combination sole as far as I know, That was the advertised spec when they were available to order from Urbandaddy.

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thank you! I will use this process then...seems simple enough. Apply reno with t-shirt, then if necessary polish with t-shirt, then buff with horsehair brush.

Thanks, never knew that. I'm happy with either sole.

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

You did an awesome job on those. They look a lot more now like the picture from the Wingtip site here:

[​IMG]

As you say later in these posts, the Dublin leather resists absorbing the polish but it must absorb more along the seams and stitching giving it that almost two-tone finish. I like the idea of treating the raw edges, too. Thanks for sharing. And please post pics if you do the raw edges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.