• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhors2

Reaction score
I am biased towards the Clifton as I have them in burgundy and really like them. I'm wearing them today, here is a picture with brown Howard Yount trousers and brown Pantherella socks:

Wow, those are indeed in pretty good condition for $30!!
My Cliftons are still my favorite AEs out of my three pairs as well. I have them in Walnut, the last is probably the most comfortable out of all the AEs I've tried.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Don't let me see you in Toronto or I will have to take them away from you...
I am biased towards the Clifton as I have them in burgundy and really like them. I'm wearing them today, here is a picture with brown Howard Yount trousers (came out grey in picture) and brown Pantherella socks:

Wow, those are indeed in pretty good condition for $30!!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of AE Cambridge Cordovan wingtips that I polished myself for the first time yesterday. I used Renovateur and then applied the Sapphir No. 8 creme polish.
The color and shine looks pretty good. HOWEVER, apparently my buffing with a microfiber cloth ripped off some of the stitching on top of the shoe! (Specifically, the stitching around the broguing on the top of the captoe of the right foot.) Frankly, it doesn't look good...I had to take a scissor to it to trim it back down to size so it isn't too noticeable.
Is this the kind of thing for which AE would replace my shoes? I've only had these for about 5 months, and I don't even wear them too often. I'd hate to relegate a $500 pair of shoes to the scrapheap.

I would call AE customer service and see what they say, you need to ask them. 1-800-235-2348 They have always been fair and very good in my experience. Good luck.

The Saphir creme polish is good for touchups when, and it happens, you dig through the surface of the shell and you need to get the color back in that spot. But a little wax paste polish every once in a great while for polishing is much better than any cream IMO.

=====================================

Got my Krause in russet tonight. The right boot has lots of heavy creases behind the toecap on the right boot. If the left did too I could live with it but the difference is too much for me to live with. They are out of stock in 10D russet so no replacements are available. The 10D fit is a bit looser than most 1 and 5 last shoes & boots but not by much, the heel fit was perfect and I have a very narrow heel. They did fit tighter and better than my walnut shell walnut Dalton's overall. Maybe when my tan 9.5D get here on Friday from Freeport there is a chance they will fit after all. But not sure if I could get into them with a midweight wool sock which is what I normally wear with casual boots.

supernsx

Reaction score

Got my Krause in russet tonight. The right boot has lots of heavy creases behind the toecap on the right boot. If the left did too I could live with it but the difference is too much for me to live with. They are out of stock in 10D russet so no replacements are available. The 10D fit is a bit looser than most 1 and 5 last shoes & boots but not by much, the heel fit was perfect and I have a very narrow heel. They did fit tighter and better than my walnut shell walnut Dalton's overall. Maybe when my tan 9.5D get here on Friday from Freeport there is a chance they will fit after all. But not sure if I could get into them with a midweight wool sock which is what I normally wear with casual boots.

Anyone has plan to darken the Russet Krause? I am planning to sno-seal it but would like the color to be less matte and more polish.

Michael Haines

Reaction score
C
I would call AE customer service and see what they say, you need to ask them. 1-800-235-2348 They have always been fair and very good in my experience. Good luck. The Saphir creme polish is good for touchups when, and it happens, you dig through the surface of the shell and you need to get the color back in that spot. But a little wax paste polish every once in a great while for polishing is much better than any cream IMO. ===================================== Got my Krause in russet tonight. The right boot has lots of heavy creases behind the toecap on the right boot. If the left did too I could live with it but the difference is too much for me to live with. They are out of stock in 10D russet so no replacements are available. The 10D fit is a bit looser than most 1 and 5 last shoes & boots but not by much, the heel fit was perfect and I have a very narrow heel. They did fit tighter and better than my walnut shell walnut Dalton's overall. Maybe when my tan 9.5D get here on Friday from Freeport there is a chance they will fit after all. But not sure if I could get into them with a midweight wool sock which is what I normally wear with casual boots.
Cold iron after seeing them how would you of polished them. Would you done a quick coat of black wax

roomiller

Reaction score
My parents are getting me a pair of AE's for christmas as my first "real" pair of dress shoes. Two questions: Besides shoe trees, what other shoe care products should I order to make these last forever?

Also, Im stuck between the strand and the mccallister. I feel like the brogue of the mccallister gets a little busy near the laces, but I have a big foot(15-16) so I think it might help my shoe look less like miles of plain leather. Which do you guys think I should go with? Thanks for the help!

Also is brogue a noun?

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score
Ta
Quote:
When did bucksfan post this? Because I'm on the site and it's 25.00$.

I guess this is a good time to ask, are shoe trees good for all leather types? Should I buy them for my Neumoks, which are distressed leather.

Last edited:

dacapojordan

Reaction score
Hey you all, I posted a few pages back about a pair of Elgins I just got, first pair of AE's and really my first pair of decent leather shoes overall. So I'm a little conflicted at the moment. I can't justify keeping these unless they fit right, so I want to be double sure before I either keep them or unload them, since they look great. I am a 8.5 or a 9, usually go by the european sizes for buying shoes, since I've never gone wrong getting a EU size 42 on the conversion charts. I found these Elgins which had been worn maybe 3 or 4 times on eBay in 8.5D which AE lists as their 42, so I jumped on it - it was a good deal, 160 shipped. After getting them I was a little worried... But let me describe the fit issues and I hope that perhaps you guys could shed some light onto what I should do.

First of all, to get them snug on my foot, I have to tighten the laces all the way to where the two halves of the lace-up portion of the shoe form a straight line, in other words, I have to tighten them to where I cannot tighten them anymore. Is this normal and/or okay, or will this become an issue once the shoes break in and make the shoes too loose?

Also, as far as length goes, I have a bit of heel slippage. If I push my foot all the way forward I have clearance varying from 1/4" to 1/2" between the back of my heel and the heel of the shoe. I've read that sometimes heel slipping can go away with wear on thick soled shoes, but I would think the leather would stretch naturally and make the shoe a bit looser, so is it really worth the chance here?

Obviously I am a bit skeptical of keeping these shoes and am leaning towards not, especially since I don't want to be in the hole for nice shoes that won't be in it for the long haul. However, I would really like to hear any advice you guys may have, if these are actually a good fit, I wouldn't want to ditch them and have to wait for the next great deal to come my way. Appreciate the help!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When did bucksfan post this?  Because I'm on the site and it's 25.00$.

I guess this is a good time to ask, are shoe trees good for all leather types? Should I buy them for my Neumoks, which are distressed leather.

Answer to your question is yes, shoe trees are good for all leather types. Neumoks definitely qualify.

Regarding the Jos Bank sale, just keep an eye out. They run sales every weekend - and I mean EVERY weekend! The savings vary, but they often do buy 1 get 2 free on shoe trees. If this deal has expired, there will be others soon enough!
EDIT: Ah, I see someone posted the code for you!

Last edited:

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score
Answer to your question is yes, shoe trees are good for all leather types. Neumoks definitely qualify.
Regarding the Jos Bank sale, just keep an eye out. They run sales every weekend - and I mean EVERY weekend! The savings vary, but they often do buy 1 get 2 free on shoe trees. If this deal has expired, there will be others soon enough!
EDIT: Ah, I see someone posted the code for you!

Nice! Just bought some, first pair of Shoe Trees. :)

spitshine123

Reaction score
My $99 Amoks came today. They fit great! I love the 4 last because it is chiseled, but not too narrow. I made sure to order the newer model (model number the same as the one on the current AE site) as to avoid the squeaking problems I've read about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads