Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I just ordered a pair of the brown shell strands

2. Spyder187

Spyder187 Active Member

Question: How many people here put their cedar wood trees in right after taking the shoe off?

I'm seeing some comments saying they wait for the inside to dry before putting the trees in. That makes me unsure if I'm doing it properly.

3. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

How long have you had them and have you worn them a whole day yet? I was seriously concerned when I tried them on that the strap wasn't going to budge. I figured the only way i'd find out is wearing them for awhile and seeing what they were like at the end of the day. I really feel that, in just a day of wear, they stretched just enough to still be snug on my "end of the day feet." I say if there's no pain, you'll probably be OK! I'm willing to keep wearing and report back as needed - take one for all the guys who couldn't get a $50 use pair to experiment with!

As far as your length and sizing down, I should note that my arch measures a 12.5 - 13 and but my toe length is 12. I assume that's why your sizing down worked out well while my length is pretty much spot on.

How did we get these two pair used already? I was under the impression these came out in september, but the shoes I got show at least several months of actual wear!

-J

4. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

I emailed the shoebank recently and they told me they don't have any Clifton in dark brown at all...ummm
    Anyway, yours look really good.

How does the Clifton fit compare to Strand?

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I put my shoe trees in immediately after taking the shoes off.

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I threw them on as soon as they were delivered by the mailroom, so had them on for about 4 - 5 hours. They are sitting in shoe trees right now, so hopefully that will help. Will try again this weekend or next week.

I'm assuming that the person I bought it from possibly did not get a good fit with it. Maybe a lot of people are having fit issues and flipping them or maybe the squeaking issue was too much for the person I got it from.

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I have them in burgundy, maybe they have that in your size. IMO it is also a very nice color. For me they fit true to size, a more snug (good) fit around the width than the Strand.

8. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Immediately - in fact, if i only wear them for a short time i leave them on for a few hours to get them good and hot before i put the trees in.

That's what I was thinking as well. . .their loss is MY gain! Other than the right shoe having CRAZY creasing, mine were in nearly new condition. The creasing on the right toe and a tiny bit of sole wear were the only things that indicate they were worn for a few months.

9. JDMFanatic

JDMFanatic Well-Known Member

Does anybody know how much the long branches are at the outlet?

And also, I've never really tried on allen edmonds... If I'm a 9.5D in Wolverine 1ks, what should I get in the Long Branches? A 9.5D or 10D?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Ming, I'm gonna take a wild stab and guess you're a bassist and Rush fan, judging by your screen name? Sorry for the non-shoe related post....carry on

J

11. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Have only just quickly tried them on, so too soon for a fit critique, sorry. Love the look/color of them though!

J

12. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Thanks!! I will look into that.

13. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

+1

J

14. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

I put my shoe trees in right away unless my shoes are wet. I'll stuff them with paper towels then put shoe trees in them the next day

15. darkness2505

darkness2505 Active Member

I have a question for people with Brooks Brothers versions of AE. I ordered a pair of BB Walnut Strands seconds, and it seems to fit way tighter than the regular AE Strands (I have a pair in the exact same size purchased from nordstrom in the summer). I have a pair of Fifth Ave (non BB) in the same size and they fit well and not as tight as the BB Strands. Can anyone comment?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.