1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

2. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Whoa are they still honoring that deal? How'd you get them to include McGraw in shell?

And the shell offerings were 30% off during Black Friday 2012. But if you can't wait, get'em!

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Renomat is by far the better product. I tried to strip the wax off of a pair of walnut westchesters, first with Lexol. As you said, it takes way too much pressure and a ton of product. Mine subsequently ended up looking like yours. I suppose that adding cream polish could bring some color back but I never got that far (shoes don't fit well).

A similar attempt on the Kenilworth with Renomat removed virtually all the wax using a tenth the amount of product and effort...all with no change to the shoe's color. Since stripping wax is done so infrequently, a bottle will last me a lifetime. It's well worth the cost IMO.

If you PM me your mailing address, I'll mail you enough to do a couple pairs of shoes to give it a try.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Hmmm do you think?! ;-)

I really have missed your pictures of shell on here. My wallet, not so much LOL. MacktasticGDogg put me over the edge when he posted his Patriot loafers in brown shell the other day. My first thought was that loafers don't work for me and then I recalled someone named bucksfan telling me to "Try it again!" when it came to loafers. Will see soon and hope that they do work this time.

I still don't own a pair of LWB and they are on the short list. Had my eye on some cigar shell and hoping for AE to release a LWB in brown or truffle shell. But looking at your Macneil's realized I am already a bit brown heavy and there really is nothing wrong with the Macneil in #8, and it is actually more versatile. As always, great pictures bucksfan.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I bought my burgundy shell Leeds last year for $299. It took two pair to get a good one but they've been great for a year now. I picked up some 1st quality burgundy shell Macneils on sale as well around the same time. I think they were $100 off the $575 MSRP. I do prefer the new burgundy but I can't complain. They are a true, traditional burgundy color.

I just came across all the posts about the shell Patriot. Looks like I'm late to the party. I'm envious of you guys that got in on them. If anyone has a fit issue with an 11D, please let me know :) The brown is gorgeous! Are they unlined?

6. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

They were only in the 9D sample size so you didn't miss out.

Just got mine a few minutes ago! Will post pics when I get home from errands that I had been avoiding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

I just ordered a Cambridge Burgundy Cordovan for $360 and a McGraw Burgundy Cordovan + Park Aves in Walnut grain, 2 for $250.
    Thank you thank you thank you to all those in thread who were generous enough to post all the deals!

1 person likes this.
  8. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Bucksfan,
    awesome photos. Can you comment on the walnut daltons a bit more? I'm considering a pair, but in that photo they look like alden whiskey, which I do not need more of.
    Also, can you share your impressions about the boots in general? (do you like them, etc)

thanks!

9. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I truly appreciate the offer, but there is a cobbler right near my house that sells Saphir products. I will pick up Renomat today after work.

The color of the stripped area in the photo looks lighter because the wax darkened the leather significantly. I'm not worried about the color change.

10. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Just tried to see if they had a 10.5 E in burgundy shell and no cigar!

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thanks! - the walnut shell cordovan daltons were are limited run, about 18 months ago. If you find a pair in your size, I'd buy first, then consider whether to return or resell... They are not whiskey (the dark blue carpet and fluorescent lighting makes them look lighter than they are). See these pictures for a more realistic sense of coloration:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I really like them. They are unlined shell cordovan, so they wear cooler (I wear them in the summer, too (which is not something I do with other shell or chromexcel boots).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Jon Cheddar

Jon Cheddar Member

Has AE sold wholecut loafers or oxfords recently? I'd love to see them have a go at something like that - it seems the collection is lacking a nice clean wholecut.

Justin Fitzpatrick ("The Shoe Snob") is offering both wholecut oxfords and loafers in his first collection, and they're stunning IMO.

[​IMG]

Also, I would love to see AE add bevelled waists to the Independence and cordovan collections.

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

What is the deal with all of this cordovan getting unloaded by AE? Can I order a custom Cordovan Suit? Goodyear welt around the lapel and on the canvas inside the jacket.....????

[​IMG]

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Gotcha. Mine looked rather terrible after the lexol attempt. I'd guess it was more my poor method than anything wrong with the product. However, when I tried Renomat I was instantly convinced. I won't use another leather cleaner again, it works so damn well. I find that my AE 'old' shell shoes are very dry. I sometimes wonder if that's why they sold off all their burgundy shell last year at such steep discount. Perhaps it had been sitting around a while and coupled with the fact that they were changing their burgundy color, they decided to get rid of all old stock.

I use renovateur about once a month on my Leeds & MacNeil and they look visibly dry within a couple of weeks. This is in comparison to my Alden shell, which rarely needs anything other than brushing.

You are lucky to have a Saphir B&M dealer close to home. I'm sure you'll love using Renomat after all the elbow grease that lexol needs. Good luck!

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Patrick B: the Saphir cordovan creme in neutral does a good job of moisturizing dry shell and giving it a shine.

16. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I had originally called for the players (which are listed as "closeout"), but Monica informed me that anything listed as closeout would qualify for the 2-250 deal. I simply asked about a pair of cordovan, and she said I could do it. Works for me!

I'm not sure why one would wait for 30% off when you could get them for well over 50% off (if they are a closeout shoe).

17. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Yeah I just tried over email a few minutes ago and they wouldn't let me get the shell mcgraws. Maybe the key is to ask them over the phone. I'll try again tomorrow.

Usually the newer/popular shell models arent included in these close out sales.

18. sfuser

sfuser New Member

Hi AE'ers, I'm looking to buy my first AE shoe, and I have two questions (I'm kind of new here, but I've been lurking a little bit). First, do AE shoes polish well? I visited an AE store but most of their shoes (except for the patent leather) looked duller than what I'm used to from J&M and Cole Haan. Were the AE's just not polished? Also, I'm looking for a basic captoe like the Park Aves and am looking for suggestions for the sleekest shoe in this style (also for the lowest price)? Thanks a lot for the help!

19. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Welcome!

What do you mean polished? Do you mean like you can't see the leather pores? Do you mean that the leather looks like a mirror? Different grades of leather look different. AE has full grain leather which is of much higher quality than the Johnson & Murphy and Cole Haan corrected grain leathers.

1 person likes this.
  20. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I agree with Bucksfan. I love mine and agree that if you find some in your size, I'd jump on them. Be aware that I think Bucksfan's walnut shell color is quite rare, imo. I think AE changed their walnut offering or got a different batch and most walnut shell Daltons since mid-2012 when I got mine are much darker. I like the color of mine but if I had the chance to buy another pair in Bucksfan's walnut color, I would, as I like the lighter color. Closer to the calf color, which tempts me to buy the calf version as well. Here are mine, which as you see, are darker.

[​IMG]

No 'El Argentino's' Snapseed effects here...

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.