Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Sure. Belt matches shoes, otherwise these pics will give you the gist: I toyed around with some socks that would match the burgundy color of the lining of my jacket, but ran out of time this morning. Suit is a MTM job from a local tailor, in somewhat heavy sharkskin. I'm pretty happy with the suit, though the trousers ended up a little baggy for my taste (probably more trad than SF-approved).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

2. catside

catside Senior member

Myself, I love the old brownish AE shell color. It's pretty unique. Everybody makes shoes in regular color 8. Matters of taste, I guess.

Bucksfan, your suit looks great.

3. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I know this is a long shot, but anybody have a pair of Amsterdams in 11.5D they are looking to sell? Called outlet, price is back up to 200, and they don't have that size. Just thought I'd ask here.

Thanks

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Wow man!!! Suit looks great and the shoes look stunning!!! Dare I say better than AE's walnut color? Those might be your best looking calf shoes. I can't wait for mine to arrive after that picture :slayer:. The space between the wingtip and the brogueing near the laces doesnt seem too short which is great IMO.

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thank you, I treated them with 2 coats of renovateur, and did a quick shine job with 2 coats of clear kiwi last night. I wore them through the rain at lunch, and took the picture after that... pretty impressive.

I hope yours come soon (and look great!)

6. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

does anyone have any experience with the 1-511 (long branch, dalton, leeds), specifically, the Bradley model?

i'm a pretty solid 10D in the 5-65 (strand and neumok) and the 8 last (delray, clifton) so i figured based on the descriptions, a 10D in the 1-511 would also work.

the (used) Bradleys just arrived, and they are TINY. super tiny. i would think they were a 8.5D or 9D, not a 10D.

how do you guys adjust from your 5 / 8 last sizes to get a proper fit in the 1 last?

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I wear the same size (12D) in Malverns (1 last), Strands and Park Avenues (5 last) and Delrays (8 last). I find the Malvern to be more narrow than my 5 last shoes, but not as narrow as my 8 last shoes, which border on being uncomfortable.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Interesting ...

5 and 8: 9D
    1: 10C and/or 10D

A 9D Malvern is downright painful. I got rid of my 9.5D Malverns because they were too tight for my liking.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

you got that right ....

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Very nice rich-looking color. Great job! Makes me think about tinkering with various shoes/boots.

11. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I kinda felt I had to try to darken mine - they were seconds, and one toe had some barely visible darker streaking. I'm not unhappy with how they turned out. Am curious, on a related note, to see how the new Bourbon finish looks in person

J

12. dacapojordan

dacapojordan Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey everyone... long time lurker on this thread, just joined! These are some Elgins I just bought from eBay... they were a great deal and are absolutely beautiful, very well made shoes but sadly, they do not fit. :( They're 8.5D, I'm guessing I fell victim to the common problem of the rough series shoes fitting a bit too loose. So I have nothing to do with them now. I'd be interested to know if Allen Edmonds ever does exchanges on things like this, I've heard amazing tales of them taking losses to satisfy a customer - good strategy, as those stories always make their way onto the internet! Anyway, that's my (sad) first experience with Allen Edmonds. And I am definitely not trying to spam, but if anybody here is interested in these you'd make my day! :) Thanks for all the help along the way people!

13. kennkim

kennkim Active Member

[​IMG]

Bucksfan - Sincere thanks, these are frickin amazing.

I've gone over them with a fine toothed comb looking for the reason that it might be a second.

Inside and out, I've found NO defects, not even tiny/borderline ones, which is impressive since I've had way too many first quality AE shoes/boots come in with obvious defects.

I ordered the Rust/Russet pair, in 9.0 (Perfect fit for me in the 5-Last) as well as 8.5 (Thought I might size down half a size to be safe if the 9 was too large).

I also ordered a Tan pair in 9.0 (Took a gamble on the sizing by not ordering in 8.5 as well), they should come in by Thursday and I am hoping that they are equally as nice.

Turns out the 9.0 is PERFECT, so I would call these true to size, just like my 744LTDs. I am wearing them now and they are insanely comfortable.

The Tan color is likely going to be too bright out of the box for my taste (Looks to be the same color as awful timberland boots), so I will darken them.

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

You've got some good feedback already so just a few comments:
    - To me, a big factor in fit is that I prefer more room in the toe box than less. I don't like very snug shoes/boots or having my toes cramped. So I think your preference on this might be worth consideration.
    - With boots, you don't really have to worry about appearance of socks as much as with shoes. So to me it comes down to what kind of socks do you prefer wearing? Dress or thicker ones? In cooler climates, you'd get by with wearing thicker socks through more of the year.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

MORE PICS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.