• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I polish my Dk Brown Strands with Kiwi Dk Brown and its made them even darker, but still nowhere near black
J

I don't recall what the official color is but my Fifth Streets are a pretty dark brown. In the right light I could see how someone could confuse it with black.

bucksfan

Reaction score

I tried these on in calf and I REALLY liked the fit of that list. It fit like a glove. I don't know what kind of feet I have if that last really fits me well. Anyone know? And what other lasts would likely fit me really well as well then?

You are in good company, the #1 last fits a lot of people well. Me included. Check out the leeds if you don't have them already.

As far as other lasts go, you may want to try the #7.

Last edited:

adsmith4

Reaction score
My Chili Grain Randolph's came today, I like the look a lot. I think they will be a good addition to my casual collection. I'll post pics tomorrow.

pudman43

Reaction score
For anyone interested in the AE/Nordstrom Clifton, I have a pair coming in the next couple of days, in dark brown. Will post pics when they arrive

J

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are in good company, the #1 last fits a lot of people well. Me included. Check out the leeds if you don't have them already.
As far as other lasts go, you may want to try the #7.

Thanks, will look into the Leeds and also the 7 last.

For anyone interested in the AE/Nordstrom Clifton, I have a pair coming in the next couple of days, in dark brown. Will post pics when they arrive
J

Here are my Cliftons (burgundy) worn yesterday:

thomasec

Reaction score
So I know this is a strange question (and probably the wrong way to do things), but I had a $100 credit on Amazon, and when the walnut Strand's went on sale this week, I just said ******* and bought them without really having a way to incorporate them into my wardrobe. I've been meaning to start getting clothes for more formal occasions that don't look like ass, and these seemed like a good way to kick that off. Anyway, my question is, what would you suggest I buy to complement the Strand's that would work for business and business casual occasions? I get that it's kind of working backwards, but I had to start somewhere...

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I know this is a strange question (and probably the wrong way to do things), but I had a $100 credit on Amazon, and when the walnut Strand's went on sale this week, I just said ******* and bought them without really having a way to incorporate them into my wardrobe. I've been meaning to start getting clothes for more formal occasions that don't look like ass, and these seemed like a good way to kick that off. Anyway, my question is, what would you suggest I buy to complement the Strand's that would work for business and business casual occasions? I get that it's kind of working backwards, but I had to start somewhere...

You might now want to step up your trousers. If you don't have wool trousers already then get some now. You'll need button downs after that which fit well and also matching belts to your shoes as well as good socks (though not a must). I really like Howard Yount trousers, best bang for the buck perhaps on the market.

Todd V

Reaction score
Burgundy shell Leeds.... brand new pair made to order. I placed the order a few months ago and picked them up last week. As you can see, the color is very dark. The shade is virtually identical to my Alden #8s which are also very new except the AE is a little less purple and a little more...brownish, I guess. The flash enhances the lighter red areas.

I recall a discussion about old burgundy vs. new burgundy and I'm not sure which I have here. However, these were definitely made in the last thirty days.

The Leeds is my best fitting shoe. I'll tell ya', if the Alden Barrie last is too loose in the heel for you, try the 1-last true-to-size but one width wider. Really nice.

Last edited:

imainish

Reaction score

That is an acceptable amount of gap to me. I think after the shoes are well worn it will definitely come closer.
If it were me I would not send it back because of the stitching.

I agree. However I will add that if you are looking for a bal with very little gap I recommend the Rutledge or the Harrison. Someone saw me wearing the Rutledge (black) the other night and thought they might be a pair of Edward Green. :happy:

I have a pair of the Parkways in the granite "gray" color which I gave a light polish of navy and I love them

Love the Parkways.....enjoy! I have them in burnished brown and they are great.

My Neumoras arrived today (got a pair in black, already have a pair in brown but those damn sales).......Really happy with them and IMO they are much nicer than the Moras they will replacing.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Burgundy shell Leeds.... brand new pair made to order. I placed the order a few months ago and picked them up last week. As you can see, the color is very dark. The shade is virtually identical to my Alden #8s which are also very new except the AE is a little less purple and a little more...brownish, I guess. The flash enhances the lighter red areas.
I recall a discussion about old burgundy vs. new burgundy and I'm not sure which I have here. However, these were definitely made in the last thirty days.
The Leeds is my best fitting shoe. I'll tell ya', if the Alden Barrie last is too loose in the heel for you, try the 1-last true-to-size but one width wider. Really nice.
Congrats, those are real beauties... all you plain toe guys are driving me to want to pick up a pair of shell Leeds.

I posted a comparison pic of my old v. new burg shell a couple of hundred comments ago. Looking at your color, it looks like you got the new finish as opposed to the lighter, old one.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
I know that my question isn’t completely relevant in this thread, but this is really the only one I frequent here on SF, so I figured I’d post here as well. I have a pair of Paul Stuart Stuart’s choice shoes which are crafted by Grenson to their Masterpiece standards. It appears as if the sole of the shoes have some sort of soft, fabric-like top layer which is now wearing away. Does anybody know how to describe this properly? Are there any cobblers in Chicago, or anywhere for that matter, who can resole shoes to include this feature? I plan on contacting the store I purchased them from as well, just wanted to see if anybody had thoughts on SF.

Thanks,

Jon

not familiar with grenson, but could this be a crepe sole you are referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics