Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Thanks! Anyone else care to weigh in to seal the deal? LOL Honestly, if I had carpet in the house, i'd still be wearing them. I know hardwood floors won't really scuff them up, but I don't want to take the chance until i'm 100%. I also think i'm going to give them to my wife to give back to me for christmas! I'm not going to wear them during the winter (i have a gravel driveway that would destroy them in the salt and slush in the winter) ANYWAY, so it'll be the highlight of Christmas!

-James

2. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

To switch the subject for a minute, just wanted to weigh in about getting salt stains on my Malverns. (Dark brown. . .not the suede ones) I got them used SPECIFICALLY to have nice shoes to wear in shitty weather, so I wasn't concerned about wearing them out in the snow yesterday. I obviously wouldn't purposely WRECK them, but i wasn't nervous about it. I decided that, since i've been wearing nicer shoes, it'd be a shame to either a) ruin them in the winter up here or b) have to wear my old cruddy shoes when i know I have nice american made gems at home.

Anyway, I think I was pretty careful (it was an odd feeling walking through a snowstorm in shoes that retailed ~$300) but still managed to get salt stains on the toes. One more than the other. When I got home i did the 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water trick and kept gently cleaning the toes until i went to bed. When I got home today I finished up and you can barely notice it. I'll be using some Saphir and polish tonight or tomorrow to make them good as new. (minus the scratches that they came with when I bought them) It's really taught me that a GOOD shoe doesn't have to be pampered. Sure, you should be careful, but accidents happen and they can usually be fixed!

By the way, anyone know if the dark brown Malvern is corrected grain? It's definitely a different look (sheen) than my calf AEs and creases a little differently as well.

-J

3. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I have a pair of the Parkways in the granite "gray" color which I gave a light polish of navy and I love them

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I agree with you there. The black brogue is not an allpurpose shoe, but it works very well when a black shoe is appropriate.

5. zazadojo

zazadojo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have pictures of some of the grey shoes in the wild?

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Sounds like it worked well, but watch the road salt. I use tingleys if necessary.

7. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I am an 8E on the 5 last and 8.5D in Daltons.
    I purchased the black Neumoras in 8E and the length is not as much of an issue as the width. The 3 last seems to be very wide, almost to the point of going down a width.
    But, I have gotten use to the "play" in the width in the Neumoras that I think I am good with the 8E.

Agreed with you as well in that I am not really a fan of the squared toe, but the bourbon Larchmonts have gotten a little under my skin. I would prefer a rounded toe long wing in bourbon, but will probably pull the trigger on the Larchmonts since it is the only long wing option yet.

Bottom line, if they seem too long or too wide when you try them on, go with your gut and see if the different size fits better.

8. helius0

helius0 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a picture of a pair of used Eagle County (the tan version with the white rubber soles)?

Any ideas on the weight of them compared to the Vibram/Dainite-like soles?

9. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

Gramercys finally showed up yesterday after at least two manufacturing issues delaying them.
    Very happy with the color although it is darker than I thought they would be from the UD pics. These are going to go great on casual Fridays with lighter colored trousers.
    Love my Duckie Browns!

[​IMG]

And, I was swept up in the Black Friday (Thursday night actually) madness and made an impulse buy of the Yumas that were on sale.
    I went a half size up and a width wider from my 5 last sizing based on the AE reviews and from other posting on the inter webs.
    I was a bit skeptical on the boots since they are made in the DR and not domestically. But, I have to say that I am pretty pleased with them initially and they were pretty comfortable to wear during an inaugural spin at Target with the wife.
    Will report back more on them but I would preliminarily say they were a steal at $119.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I will get you some I'm traveling but when I get back I have parkways in gray with just light polish in navy. Great look

11. catside

catside Senior member

Can somebody post real life pics of grey Long Branch please?

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I might head to the store tomorrow and if I do I will take pictures for you.

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Shell Bradleys today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Neumok I ordered on cyber monday from Amazon arrived last night, talk about fast shipping!

[​IMG]

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Nice - those Yumas look really comfortable.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.