Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I have a narrow (B width) foot unfortunately and from my understanding they only carry pleb width (D).

2. goldenboy16

goldenboy16 Member

thanks for the advice. i already have black PA and walnut strands. I love the strands, but my PA's get no love. its just such a formal shoe I have not needed them yet.

I was looking for a a shoe to compliment my strands but fill in the gap for merlot or brown. I had my eyes on the merlot mcallister and the brown fifth ave. what would you recommend?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

3. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

Anybody have some Larchmonts? I've never been a fan of the more-squarish toe that the 3 last uses, but for some reason I really dug the Larchmonts. Have Chocolate now with Bourbon on the way.

Anyways - sizing - what's your 5 last size and what's your 3 last size? I take an 8.5D in Park Aves, but went with an 8E on the Larchmonts. These things are long enough that I'm considering a 7.5E. Can anyone comment on what they've experienced for 5 vs. 3 last sizing?

4. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

Actually those are the laces that came with my shoes. [​IMG]

5. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

I was in the Orlando store and the pair I saw did not look like the Aberdeen so I ended up ordering a pair. I did not like way the Aberdeen looked so mine will be going back if they are different from the pair they showed me in the store. I even commented to the salesman how different the grey was between those two, the Pierpont, and the Parkway.

6. evolved

evolved Senior member

I'll echo what others are saying about the grey leather......I think it's pretty ugly, regardless of the shoe it is on. No offense!

In other news, I just placed an order for a pair of dark brown burnished Delray's in 10.5B [​IMG]

After this I will have gone from zero AE's to 4 in under a year. Walnut Strands, brown CXL Bayfields, walnut Dalton's and the dark brown burnished Delrays. Not bad, not bad....

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Black McAllisters will go fine with the 2 suits you mention. Are there other more versatile options/colors? Sure.

But ....

I have 2 black wingtip balmorals: (1) Alden for Brooks Brothers in shell cordovan; (2) John Lobb Cavendish in calf. If you like them, get them - and don't be swayed by the myriad of black shoe haters on SF. :D

8. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

In my experience, AE's brown burnished colour looks a lot darker in person than it does on their website. I was once in a store looking at (what I believed to be) two pairs of black Delrays on a shelf, until the SA pointed out that one of them was actually brown. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as the dark brown can be a versatile (and slightly more casual) alternative to black. But it's something you may want to keep in mind depending on what you are looking for. A brown burnished 5th Avenue would look a lot closer to a black PA than a Walnut Strand, IMO. Personally, I like the 5th Ave but prefer it in a blucher style, so I'm going for a pair of Cliftons in burgundy.
    I'm a fan of the Delrays. I have a pair in Chili Burnished, but I also really like the look of the black and brown versions.

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Amsterdams arrived:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to brown shell strands and burgundy Cambridge:

[​IMG]

I am pretty happy with them, though I have not done any sort of fit test yet. I like the bourbon color.

10. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

I feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk" when he's screaming "The new phonebook is here! The new phonebook is here!!"

Well. . .

My new Strands are here!!! My new Strands are here!!!

Anyway, I want to get some fit and quality advice before I wear them off my carpet. First off, the fit. They feel snug - more snug than my other 12B AEs, but definitely not uncomfortable. I suspect they fit like they are supposed to - I'm just not used to well-fitting shoes yet! No pain, no rubbing, supports my arches. Just want to make sure the gap in the lacing is what it should be for a new pair of strands. I assume they will stretch a little over time and that gap will close? Anyway, forgive the cross lacing - that's how they arrived. Also, forgive the poor quality of my camera phone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is that too much of a gap? It's probably possible to get the gap smaller, but it's comfortable like this. Here's a side shot on my unmade bed :embar:
    [​IMG]

So. . .there's that. Next up is the "defect." Let me get something out of the way first. I realize these are seconds. I'm completely OK with this if everyone thinks this is an acceptable defect for seconds. I know that sounds like group think, but I just want to get the best quality I can out of the seconds. I know plenty of people have said they cannot find the defect on their seconds. . .well I found mine! Due to the wonky stitching around the cap toe on the right shoe, it kinda flips up. It's hard to describe without pictures. . .so here are the pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyhow - what do you guys think? Should I try to get a different pair (when I ordered these, they had to be sent from another store and i was told there were only one other pair available in my size)? Or are these keepable?

Either way, after walking around the house with these on I realize that these shoes were MADE FOR ME!!

-James

11. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

Nnggg, did you get these from the Shoe Bank sale? When did you order? I hope mine got here today as well :) Sweet shoes!

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Nice, color looks good. Appreciate the shots! My pair have arrived to a US address and now I am having them shipped to me to avoid what happened last time when I was hit with $90 in taxes.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That is an acceptable amount of gap to me. I think after the shoes are well worn it will definitely come closer.

If it were me I would not send it back because of the stitching.

14. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

This is my thinking so far - on both counts. As for the fit, i'm just winging it. As I said before, I'm new to well fitting shoes. As for the stitching, I can live with that if it's considered acceptable for seconds. For me, $199 is a lot for shoes. I don't expect them to be perfect, but I just want to make sure I don't regret it later. ;)

-James

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thanks! I ordered them from the Jeffersonville outlet on Black Friday, but they were shipped from Port Washington.

Sounds like a good plan. Hope you get yours soon.

+1 on both issues. Nice shoes, and like most seconds they will give you a good long life!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.