Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I'm referring to the bottom of the shoe. Sorry for not being clear about that.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Welp, you used the correct wording, but I have no idea what this fabric-like top layering could be, unless it was rubber.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I got the waxy brown, same as yours. I was surprised by the price as well. They were already marked down to $275.00, and the Jeffersonville, Ohio outlet was willing to give me an additional 30% off for Black Friday. What you are describing is pretty much what I intend them for (jeans on weeknights/weekends during fall and winter, or maybe for work if it is going to be very wet). I wear chinos to work every day, so they should be fine for wet work days IMO. I agree on the grey ones as well. No offense to anyone who gets them, but up close in person the grain has a strange appearance to me. It's hard to put your finger on it, but it almost doesn't quite look like leather. The grey Aberdeen and McTavish are the same way. They are almost synthetic looking in their appearance (which you can't tell from the photos).

4. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Yeah I bet fabric on the bottom off the sole

5. MoneyWellSpent

You may need to post some pictures of that. I haven't ever seen this either, and an internet search didn't really bring up much. My first impulse, however, is to say that you will not be able to have a local cobbler replicate that. It is probably some sort of special concept thought up by Paul Stuart to make them different. Can you send them back to Grenson?

6. goldenboy16

goldenboy16 Member

How versatile are the black McAllisters? I wanted the merlot originally but it looks like I can get a good deal on the black pair. What do you guys think of the black wingtip? As far as suits I have a classic grey and a dark navy suit.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

7. MoneyWellSpent

You really won't find much love in these threads for black wingtips. They are as heavy on the broguing as you can get, which puts them amongst the most casual dress shoes. However, black balmorals are considered most formal. So they sort of cancel each other out, which makes them not really fit a wardrobe niche very well. Not to mention that the broguing is hard to appreciate because the darkness of the black makes it hard to see as well. The merlot is far more versatile if you can overlook the savings you are seeing on the black pair.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Do you guys think the brown colored long branch will drop to 200 USD anytime soon?

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I actually like the black wingtip/medallion cap toe. Just not in Allen Edmonds.

[​IMG]
    This is the McAllister

10. MoneyWellSpent

I'll confess, they look good in the pictures. My only experience with a black brogue was when I tried on the Strand in black (only for fitting purposes, because they didn't have my size in walnut), and I really didn't like how they looked on my feet. I think that an exception to what I said above is if you have regular needs for black shoes, or if if you have all of your bases covered with other shoes, then these may be fine to have so that you can throw in some variety. However, if you are looking for a versatile shoe when building a young collection, there are better options.

11. MoneyWellSpent

Unfortunately, I wouldn't get my hopes up. I think I was extremely lucky with the find I posted above. I think the grey ones are at that price because they aren't selling and they are trying to unload them, otherwise $200.00 is an extremely low price for a boot. $275.00 for seconds is probably as good as it will get for a while unless you can combine that with another sale offer like I did.

12. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Thanks, I'll let my friend known.

I wish they hadn't discontinued the Bayfield, I really wanted that boot.

13. MoneyWellSpent

14. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

You can still get the boot from Land's end, but not sure on the sizing / selection.

15. Chavlad

Chavlad Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.