1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suited

suited Senior member

New Larchmonts in bourbon. These were a "first quality" replacement for a pair of Neumoras that had some issues. Pulled these out of the box yesterday and tried them on, noticed that one is wider than the other, they are also not consistent with the Larchmonts I had previously tried on, in terms of width. I enjoy the styling, but honestly, this will be the last pair of AE I purchase, and at this point I'm not going through the hassle of sending them back again. If they would have offered a refund instead of replacing the Neumoras I would have gone that route in the first place. Looking back, I have had issues with every pair I've owned except for one. I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather enjoy the far superior product you can get for the additional $250 or so.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

As much as I dislike the toecap on my Park Avenues, I intend to hold on to them. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might like them significantly more in 5 or 10 years as style and tastes evolve.

3. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Ya that pic was from a while ago. Honestly, I know they are "Cole Haan" like but there are a few I would wear all day long. The blue/purple suede strands are a great casual shoe. I don't understand what everyone has an issue with, last year someone posted a pic of (almost) the same shoe, a blue Alden suede wingtip with a very light natural sole. Perfect casual shoe for spring/summer and I think they could be dressed up a little more than you would expect as well.

In the back, I see what it looks like (from left to right) a cappucinno chukka, a few to the right is a rust colored one, and then the off white ones that I will definitely get for summer. Are those the Amoks or the Dundees? Whichever they are, I've tried them both on, super light, super comfortable.

4. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Bottom right saddles look very Florsheim-by-Duckie-Brownish.

6. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I posted on AE Facebook about new shell offerings and the response was we put a Burgandy shell dalton. Now that
    Might be all they are allowed to say though.

1 person likes this.
  7. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I thought the navy suede Strands looked pretty normal. The other three Web Gems are kind of out there, mainly due to the pink stitching on the brown and purple ones, and the shade of green used on the green one. Since I love the color purple, I am kind of intrigued by the purple suede Strand, but I have no idea how I'd wear purple shoes.

8. suited

suited Senior member

Also just noticed that the leather is a different color around the stitching near the laces. Am I being picky here, or is this really unacceptable for a pair of shoes that are supposed to be 1st quality replacements for a pair that was defective?

[​IMG]

9. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

I read over the Reddit page and thought it was really interesting. Thanks to JermynStreet for posting the link since I missed it originally.

I am not a big fan of any of the shoe in the pic expect for maybe the Brown Leather Chukka with Orange laces, but with that said I do not get all the uproar either. These shoes are not for me, but there are still another 6-8 pairs still on my wish list so what do I care if this collection is aimed at a different market.

I thought this part would be of interest to some:

Quote: In the discussion Paul mentioned the latest trend towards color. I see this collection is a direct reflection of that and with his comments it does not concern me about the direction of AE. It would appear this is target marketing to supplement the existing classic line.

Paul described his overall displeasure with the Amok saying it needed more support in the sole and that was coming. Based on that I would expect the versions in the picture to be an evolution of the old lines.

It was also mentioned that in the Fall there will be more "dress and jeans casual boots" which is a trend that does speak to me. For all the complaining about what AE doesn't offer (sleeker cap toe and others) there was a time not too many years ago where they had no boots.

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I was just looking at that picture a few days ago and realizing how much of that has actually come to market.

If you look at the suede strands they have there, I would totally consider the snuff ones (if they actually are snuff).

Actually, I'd probably take them even if that color turned out to be pretty much orange.

That doesn't matter, though, because that's one of the only colors they decided to leave out in this release.

11. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Bourbon is a color with various shades on purpose. It will age to a nice patina. As far as different widths, I have not experienced this with any AE shoes I've owned. Are you sure about this? it's also possible that your feet are different widths.

12. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Since I have blue Neumoks, I would get the purple before the blue. Honestly, you would be surprised how awesome they would look at night. Jeans with a button down/sports coat, I feel would be the best way to pull those off. Other than that, I would wear them on a casual day in the office with the appropriate outfit, but I would also wear them with a few different pairs of casual pants that I have... gray/slate colored pants.

I almost purchased a pair of Cole Haans in that color just because the color is so bad ass and they looks awesome with raw denim.

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=681097&productGroup=426291

The strands are a much better choice IMO

Thats nothing a little brown polish can't fix, I wouldn't worry about it.

13. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

It seems to me that you are unhappy with the shoes so why not just return them be done with it. You have already said "I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather enjoy the far superior product you can get for the additional $250 or so."

Simply put if you are not happy with the shoes return them to Allen Edmonds and find a company that you do like. Life is too short to worry about a company or product you don't like. :twocents"

14. BCer

BCer Senior member

Dalton corduroy kind of day
    [​IMG]

15. lostron

lostron Senior member

16. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

There's no stitching on the toe. That's kind of the point of wholecuts.

If you're talking about the brogueing, I like it. But then again, I own the Fairfax in Chili and love them. Wouldn't ever wear them with jeans, though.

17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

broguing looks like genitalia if you ask me.

18. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Saw the new Franciscan today in the flesh at the Philadelphia store. Definitely NOT my bag.

On a different note, I was there to pick up my walnut Players which I had sent in to get re-soled. I continue to be nothing but impressed with AE's re-crafting process, and it's a large part of why I buy AE shoes.

19. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Today, I decided to very subtly give a little burnish to my walnut Sheltons. I think it came out pretty well, without looking like I stood too close to the fire.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Looks great. How'd you do it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.