• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you TTS 10D?

Probably 9.5D I've realized. Been wearing ill fitting shoes since my teen years I'm guessing :foo:. I wear 10D in Clarks DB but I prefer a more snug fit for dress shoes.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably 9.5D I've realized. Been wearing ill fitting shoes since my teen years I'm guessing :foo:. I wear 10D in Clarks DB but I prefer a more snug fit for dress shoes.

I was just curious because I size down by 1/2 size for AE models on the 5 last (PA's) and 8 last (Cliftons). I wear 9D in each, but I am TTS 9.5D.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed the cap toe length can vary quite a bit from shoe to shoe. I tried several pairs when sizing for the PA. Some had short caps. Others were longer.

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score

pudman43

Reaction score

I second this completely! 

Not sure if this is really a balmoral, but this is what I would love to see AE take a stab at. This is the Hallam in espresso suede by Crockett & Jones. It's pretty sleek. 
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Hallam-Espresso#.UKwy-Yc0WSo
If AE makes this type of shoe, I'd buy it immediately. 

I think closest shape-wise might be the Rutledge? Don't think it customizable though. You'd have to check the Custom section of the AE site

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just curious because I size down by 1/2 size for AE models on the 5 last (PA's) and 8 last (Cliftons). I wear 9D in each, but I am TTS 9.5D.

What are you using as your TTS reference? Your Barrie lasted shoes? I am a TTS 9D (Brannock) and wear Strand, Fifth Street, Cambridge, MacNeil, and Quinton all in (9D).

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Oh okay, interesting. No Nordstrom here though they are opening one soon in the next year or two.
Hmm might need to look into that. Don't need them yet but once I get a good rotation I would like a suede cap toe balmoral. Maybe even something with heavy brogue such as the Strand.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if the seconds are $399 at 30% off wouldnt they be $279?

That is correct. I noted that the Grayson and Cambridge would be about $280 because they were listed at the regular seconds price of $399. The list they sent me had the Daltons listed at $539, but maybe Daltons in another size are at $399?

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score

They could have both been on sale, but both times I bought Cordovan seconds they were no more than $340. I think I might have purchased at $299 and $340 before tax.

Yeah, I've also purchased cordovan at $340 and $299 during sales. The regular list price I've always seen is $399. My experience since I first started following the Shoebank sales about 3 years ago is that cordovan 2nds (in my size, at least) only get down below $300 once, maybe twice, per year. And each time that's happened there have only been 3 models, at most, in my size.

0ShinAkuma0

Reaction score
I think closest shape-wise might be the Rutledge? Don't think it customizable though. You'd have to check the Custom section of the AE site

They didn't have the Rutledge template for customization, they had the Park Avenue and the Fifth Avenue though, which are just as good of a match for the C&J Hallam pictured above. Here's the thing though, I wish that AE would just come out with a shoe in their line up, because when I customized the Park Avenue, the total came out to 460$, which is a bit out of my price range right now. And I always told myself that I would never pay that much for suede. non-suede Leather shoe or boot, OK, but suede, I just can't do it. I'd be too paranoid that they'd get ruined in an unexpected downpour and get ruined. By the way, here's how the Park Avenue came out with the customization.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ben Dimond

Reaction score
Just purchased the Park Avenues in Bourbon and Strands in Walnut, my first Allen Edmonds! I'm a student so got two free belts and ties a $383 dollar value. Had to have the shoes shipped to me, can't wait to wear them! I was originally thinking Merlot or Black for the Park Avenues, but black seemed too formal and Bourbon seemed like it would go well with more items. Unfortunately they weren't on sell so had to pay full price, but seemed like a good deal with the student items added.
Did I make a good choice for my first pairs?

bucksfan

Reaction score

Yeah, I've also purchased cordovan at $340 and $299 during sales. The regular list price I've always seen is $399. My experience since I first started following the Shoebank sales about 3 years ago is that cordovan 2nds (in my size, at least) only get down below $300 once, maybe twice, per year. And each time that's happened there have only been 3 models, at most, in my size.

+1.

$299 is the cheapest I've ever seen for cordovan seconds.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Just purchased the Park Avenues in Bourbon and Strands in Walnut, my first Allen Edmonds!  I'm a student so got two free belts and ties a $383 dollar value.  Had to have the shoes shipped to me, can't wait to wear them!  I was originally thinking Merlot or Black for the Park Avenues, but black seemed too formal and Bourbon seemed like it would go well with more items.  Unfortunately they weren't on sell so had to pay full price, but seemed like a good deal with the student items added. 
Did I make a good choice for my first pairs?

Yes, you made good choices. I would have gone with only one balmoral and made the second something more casual: a blucher (preferably a wingtip) or loafer,. But all the broguing on the strand makes it casual enough. You may want a pair of black captoes when you start interviewing; but as a student, they are not essential.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They didn't have the Rutledge template for customization, they had the Park Avenue and the Fifth Avenue though, which are just as good of a match for the C&J Hallam pictured above. Here's the thing though, I wish that AE would just come out with a shoe in their line up, because when I customized the Park Avenue, the total came out to 460$, which is a bit out of my price range right now. And I always told myself that I would never pay that much for suede. non-suede Leather shoe or boot, OK, but suede, I just can't do it. I'd be too paranoid that they'd get ruined in an unexpected downpour and get ruined. By the way, here's how the Park Avenue came out with the customization.

I so agree with you. It's just not worth it having them customized at that price range. I also agree with your assessment on not spending that much on suede because of the fear of them getting ruined.

I would actually love them offer the Strand in suede. Strand seem like a fun shoe and suede would take it to the next level. A member posted these shoes which are not AE but are similar enough to the Strand. They look great in suede IMO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads