Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Probably 9.5D I've realized. Been wearing ill fitting shoes since my teen years I'm guessing :foo:. I wear 10D in Clarks DB but I prefer a more snug fit for dress shoes.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I was just curious because I size down by 1/2 size for AE models on the 5 last (PA's) and 8 last (Cliftons). I wear 9D in each, but I am TTS 9.5D.

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Not with a bigger captoe though

J

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I've noticed the cap toe length can vary quite a bit from shoe to shoe. I tried several pairs when sizing for the PA. Some had short caps. Others were longer.

5. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

I second this completely!

Not sure if this is really a balmoral, but this is what I would love to see AE take a stab at. This is the Hallam in espresso suede by Crockett & Jones. It's pretty sleek.
    http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Hallam-Espresso#.UKwy-Yc0WSo
    If AE makes this type of shoe, I'd buy it immediately.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I think closest shape-wise might be the Rutledge? Don't think it customizable though. You'd have to check the Custom section of the AE site

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

What are you using as your TTS reference? Your Barrie lasted shoes? I am a TTS 9D (Brannock) and wear Strand, Fifth Street, Cambridge, MacNeil, and Quinton all in (9D).

8. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

That is correct. I noted that the Grayson and Cambridge would be about $280 because they were listed at the regular seconds price of $399. The list they sent me had the Daltons listed at $539, but maybe Daltons in another size are at $399?

9. reidrothchild

Yeah, I've also purchased cordovan at $340 and $299 during sales. The regular list price I've always seen is $399. My experience since I first started following the Shoebank sales about 3 years ago is that cordovan 2nds (in my size, at least) only get down below $300 once, maybe twice, per year. And each time that's happened there have only been 3 models, at most, in my size.

10. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

They didn't have the Rutledge template for customization, they had the Park Avenue and the Fifth Avenue though, which are just as good of a match for the C&J Hallam pictured above. Here's the thing though, I wish that AE would just come out with a shoe in their line up, because when I customized the Park Avenue, the total came out to 460$, which is a bit out of my price range right now. And I always told myself that I would never pay that much for suede. non-suede Leather shoe or boot, OK, but suede, I just can't do it. I'd be too paranoid that they'd get ruined in an unexpected downpour and get ruined. By the way, here's how the Park Avenue came out with the customization.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

just buy the hallam and call it good. :nodding:

12. Ben Dimond

Ben Dimond Member

Just purchased the Park Avenues in Bourbon and Strands in Walnut, my first Allen Edmonds! I'm a student so got two free belts and ties a $383 dollar value. Had to have the shoes shipped to me, can't wait to wear them! I was originally thinking Merlot or Black for the Park Avenues, but black seemed too formal and Bourbon seemed like it would go well with more items. Unfortunately they weren't on sell so had to pay full price, but seemed like a good deal with the student items added.
    Did I make a good choice for my first pairs?

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

+1.

$299 is the cheapest I've ever seen for cordovan seconds.

14. reidrothchild

Yes, you made good choices. I would have gone with only one balmoral and made the second something more casual: a blucher (preferably a wingtip) or loafer,. But all the broguing on the strand makes it casual enough. You may want a pair of black captoes when you start interviewing; but as a student, they are not essential.

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I so agree with you. It's just not worth it having them customized at that price range. I also agree with your assessment on not spending that much on suede because of the fear of them getting ruined.

I would actually love them offer the Strand in suede. Strand seem like a fun shoe and suede would take it to the next level. A member posted these shoes which are not AE but are similar enough to the Strand. They look great in suede IMO:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.