1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Okay so I went out and exchanged the generic brand brown leather shoe cream for AE walnut shoe polish. But now I am concerned after searching about the differences between shoe cream and polish. Will polish make my shoes too shiny where they wont look good with jeans (i'll mostly be wearing my strands with jeans)? Do I need to make another exchange for the shoe cream? Or can I just use the polish sparingly to avoid getting it too shiny? What to do?

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I use normal polish and they don't get super shiny. The brown may change the color of your shoes slightly.

3. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Yep I returned the brown for AE walnut shoe polish. Just now confused if im better off with a walnut shoe cream or shoe polish? How much more shiny do shoes get with shoe polish as opposed to shoe cream?

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I've never used the cream - only the wax based polish. All I can tell you, is, with the wax, I can get anything from a mirror shine down to just a very low shine.

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I am really enjoying my Bayfields. They took very little breaking in and have turned out to be more comfortable and well fitting than I had imagined. The chromexcel is fantastic stuff.

6. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

You will need to do a few things, 1. go to an experienced shoeman and get your foot measured for length and width i.e. 11D, 10.5E.... AE makes theirs shoes based on widths which is very important. 2. AE also makes shoes on different "lasts" which basically means some of the shoes are more snug than others since the shape is of the shoe different. You will need to find a last that works for you. I suggest visiting Nordstrom if you want to see AE shoes.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Very cool catalog, the Fifth Ave. look very similar.

8. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

Agreed. They were really comfortable right out of the box and continue to be so. No problem with wearing them for 16+ hours, very easy to care for (that CXL is great), and they look great (IMO).

9. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

The finishing on the shoes you pointed out are far above today's models--I assume it is due to cost but it is somewhat sad to see such cool specimens from 50 years ago and realize you can't get it today from the same maker. At least AE and Alden are still around but today's finishing (from both makers), although very wearable lacks the panache from back then to some extent. It would be interesting to see Aldens from back then. J&M made some fine specimens as well--you can see them pop up on ebay from time to time and they are stunning.

10. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

What are people's opinions on wholecuts? They seem to be more of an "old school" shoe, but have a very simple, yet elegant look to them.

11. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Depends on what "old school" means. It's sort of the fashion-forward shoe for 1930s classic style a la Fred Astaire or the Duke of Windsor. They're a bit flashier than balmorals/oxfords with vamp stitched to quarters.

Today, I suppose they are old school in most people's minds. They can be very elegant, though they are often made with a medallion on the toe. This floating medallion has often been castigated by SFer manton. I think he is right: a floating medallion, especially on a wholecut, draws too much attention to the medallion and not enough to the shape of the shoe. It's rather like having a shirt with bright-colored wide stripes spaced very far apart. The eye is drawn so much to the stripes that it doesn't see the shirt as a whole. To be safe, I would get a plain toe, non-brogued wholecut like the C&J Alex. In black, they're great for evening social, fine for business formal or funerals.

12. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Any opinion on the AE Manhattans in Cognac? Or the Greenwich?

13. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

I like the shape of the Manhattan, but I don't like the brogueing. Myself, I don't like seamless brogueing anywhere but on a toe medallion. I think it's because it makes the shoe's lines less sleek: a line of circles occupies more visual space and looks wider than a line of circles running between two close parallel lines, as with seamed brogueing on punch-caps like the Fifth Ave, quarter-brogues, semi-brogues like the Strand, and wingtips like the Cambridge. My own view is that seams without brogues, as on an austerity wingtip:[​IMG]

are highly preferable to brogues without seams, except for toe medallions. But YMMV.

14. althanis

althanis Senior member

I need some advice regarding my next shoe purchase.

I currently have a burnished brown Fifth Avenue, and a walnut McAllister. I don't really like black shoes, but they're a necessary evil I think; I have a patent leather Kenneth Cole, which is a pretty crappy shoe.

My question is, should I get the black Park Avenue, just so I can have a good pair of black shoes? Or should I still use the KC as my black shoe, and explore another options, perhaps a walnut Strand?

I'm waiting on the Nordstrom sale to pick up another pair.

15. maulrat

maulrat Member

16. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Park Ave is obviously head and shoulders above the Kenneth Cole. How soon you do this, in my opinion, depends on how often you wear a black cap-toe shoe. I have 3 pair of black shoes, including a pair of Park Avenues. I wear them probably 2 times per month. They are probably worth you picking up on sale some time.

The Strand is a great shoe, but in walnut is a very similar shoe to your McAllister - both balmorals on the 5 last - but one is a short wing, one is a brogue cap-toe. Both are basically worn with the same things, if you get both in the same color.

As alternatives, check out the Sanford, the Walton, the Bradley, the MacNeil, the Leeds... or maybe a loafer, such as the Grayson or Randolph... there are LOTS of options.

First, I think it makes sense to think about what clothes you plan to wear them with...

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Interestingly, AE has a bunch of limited edition shoes on their website (Burton, Cortland, Hale, Wendell, Neumok, Amok). Nothing that I liked, but I wonder if this is going to be a new trend.

18. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Anyone planning on trying the new ltalian shoes for $199? What exactly is the difference with the Italian shoes?

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Where the hell did you guys get 2 pairs for $300? A few people have mentioned it now.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Where the hell did you guys get 2 pairs for $300? A few people have mentioned it now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.