1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I currently own three pairs of AE (in order of dressiness): Park Avenues in black calf, Cliftons in burgundy calf, and Delrays in chili burnished calf. The Cliftons are the newest of the three, but I suspect that I'll get a lot of use out of them. If you want something that's going to be very versatile and can be dressed up or down, I'd suggest a blucher in a relatively dark shade of brown or burgundy. The Clifton is a blucher but, IMO, it's still a very dressy-looking shoe and could be worn with a suit in all but the most rigid of work environments. A lot of it will depend on the kind of industry/workplace you are in, not to mention where you live.

If all else fails, take a look at what some of your colleagues wear, and use that as a guide.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Which loafer would be best for a wide foot with a high instep? I like the randolph, but I hear the instep is somewehat low.

3. Alef

Alef New Member

Gentlemen!
    Apologies that my first post is a question.
    I would like to buy a pair of AE's Cronmok.
    I have read a lot of reviews on the subject, but I still have my question unanswered.
    Some people write that Cronmoks are true to size, whereas others that it is 1/2 size large and 1 size narrow.
    So there are two opinions:
    1. "Cronmok is TTS"
    2. "Consider sizing down 1/2 a size and going one width up"
    Therefore, my question to the owners of Cronmoks is as follows:
    I'm size 6.5, but closer to 6, really, E width.
    AE has the Cronmok model in sizes 6 and 6.5 with E and EEE widths.
    What size and width would you recommend?
    I do understand that the return policy of the brand is excellent, but the shoes will be shipped to a country from where returns are difficult.
    Thank you in advance for your advice.

4. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I'm actually one of the people on the AE site with a review saying they run long. They run long, seriously, long. Or at least the two pairs I had a chance to wear did. I normally wear 9EEE in McAllisters. The 9EEE Cronmok's I first got were way too long, longer than a pair of 9.5EEE McAllisters I had. Returned for a pair of 8.5EEE and they fit much better. On my suggestion, a friend sized down 1/2 (same width) and found they fit him great too. In fact for both of us, we might have worn them just a hair shorter than they were, even sized down.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have a high instep and cannot wear the Randolph. It's not bad when it's on, but I nearly tear the leather trying to put it on.

The Westchester fits me very well. You might try that one. I really like the brown and walnut. And there is a cordovan option if you are so inclined.

Chris

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I'll add the Verona and its variants, which are the Italian collection. Not sure if you're interested in those. But I have a wide forefoot and high instep, and they fit great.

7. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

8. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Personally, I found that they run true to size. I realize others have said to size down. Perhaps because the leather is unstructured there are variations sometimes in the "give" of the leather which may alter the size?

9. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Unrelated, however I'm not very good at navigating this site lol. Remember a couple months ago, there was a link on the styleforum home page about mixing/combining textures with suits/shirts/ties?

Where the hell can I find that post? Off to the advanced search tool....

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Is it my computer screen or is something wonky going on with the leather here?

11. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

New Question: does anyone know whether AE will ever get some new punch designs for the toe caps? I really love what C&J and Alden do with their punch designs. Anyone have any ideas for what they'd like?

12. delmar

delmar Senior member

football

13. Al in Philly

They have lightened in certain creased areas over time. This isn't uncommon for lighter colored shoes.

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Did you wax pretty heavily between the cap line and the laces? It looks like you have an excess wax buildup in the creases or something else wonky going on. Whatever it is, definitely not normal.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I normally see this when a polish that is darker than the original shoe color is used. The creasing exposes the lighter natural color of the shoe as the polish flakes off. AE walnut polish is darker than the true color of the shoes, which is why many SA recommend cognac instead. If you don't mind me asking what color\type of polish are you using on them? In any event still a great looking shoe!

16. Al in Philly

I have never used wax on those shoes. I use Saphir cream. It does match however, so perhaps it darkens it over time.

17. Al in Philly

I use Saphir light brown cream I think.

18. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

This isn't shedding a good light on Saphir...
    Just saying.

19. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Finch, in Horween Tan Dublin leather today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. zchen

zchen Senior member

I wish AE would make a Dublin leather Plain toe boot....just emailed their feedback email....

Neumoks in crimson leather call out to me.....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.