Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

He's asking whether you are advising the poster to return his used shoes to the seller on EBay. I'm assuming the seller in question must have a return policy for this to even be in discussion.

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Right, I'm asking if you think he should try to return the shoes to the previous owner (reasonable unless "no returns" was advertised) or to AE (unreasonable).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Sorry, I didn't see how that was misunderstood. The whole conversation was started by Mingus asking if we thought he should keep them or return them. I said I thought he was justified in returning them. Obviously you can't buy used shoes from someone off of ebay and then send them back to AE. [​IMG]

4. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

g.michael did you go true to size or size down for the Patriots? Please share how they fit.

I'm 24 and wear slim cut pants and shirts yet don't see how that works against a penny loafer.

5. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Mingus, you're a good sport. I did find the pictures entertaining. Thanks for posting them.

The shoes just look used to me. The creases on the inside at the ball suggest the original owner had flat feet.

I do think you'll save yourself time and money just buying new shoes and seconds.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I got quoted $264 for Patriot seconds. I was hoping around $150-$200. Maybe during Black Friday?

7. khe86

khe86 Senior member

Well, just came back from the BB store and was reminded of again that their selection is really narrow. They only have the fifth avenue and strand in widths other than D; park and mccallister only come in D width. The peal by CJ also all came in D width.

I ended up exchanging the mccallister for the following wingtip, antique tan, in 10D by paying the difference:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Light...___D___,default,pd.html?omnpp=recently viewed

Probably not a great choice considering the color is very similar to my walnut strand but given the selection, it was either this or pay another $320 for a shell, and I don't quite like the cut of the BB shell (made by Alden I believe).

8. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I ordered true to size (11B) after discussing the issue with AE. It's a gamble since it's a new last, so we will know tomorrow.

9. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior member

Thanks - I have tried new ones on in the store and never remembered the toe box being this "cowboy boot" like. My main reason for posting wasn't "should I return these damaged shoes." It was more like "I see these shoes are more worn that I've seen in the past - and is this upward point normal for the strands?" The damn things look fantastic in shoe trees - which is why there was a question at all whether or not to keep them. But i'm not buying decorations here!

Also didn't mean to derail the thread - and didn't mean to imply that i'd send these back to AE (other than recrafting - which I DID mention in a post. . .but only that it wouldn't be economical to do now). I obviously meant returning to the original seller (who has no problem taking them back).

I'm sitting here at my desk with them on (brought them to the office to shoot pictures so I figured i'd try them on one last time) and damned if they don't look fine when i scrunch my toes! LOL Anyway, i'll be boxing them up and sending them back. Hopefully there will be a killer black friday deal on strands seconds! ;)

-J

10. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Agreed, but I swear I've heard people suggest that before here and in the Alden thread, so I was just checking.

11. zazadojo

zazadojo Active Member

How do you guys get informed of the Shoebank sales? I have seen flyers for the different sales sprinkled through the forum but I'm not on here all the time and tend to catch the sales too late. I have tried to inquire through the Shoebank email but have not heard back after a couple requests for info and a few days.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Those are pretty sharp looking. Hope you enjoy them. Are those the same maker as the black captoes you bought from BB?

13. khe86

khe86 Senior member

Yes they are the same maker, which is why I opted for them knowing they will fit despite being fairly snug out of the box. The shoes stretch out quite a bit due to the leather being incredibly soft. I plan to put on some flushed metal taps on them because the leathers on the sole is much thinner than the English shoemakers, and I walk with a very pronounced toe pushoff.

From the heel of the shoe, it looks like it's made by Sutor Mantellassi but I can't get a confirmation from anyone. No one in BB knows, not the shoe salesman nor those online working for BB.

14. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

15. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.