1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delmar

delmar Senior member

They may be a little on the reddish side. They look like what I remember a football looking like. Maybe sort of a cross between burgundy and brown. Just for you, I took a picture of the webgems side-by-side with a cordovan Mcneil for comparison.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/Delmar59/IMG_0001-2_zpsb1aaaeb9.jpg

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

No, the better course would be to try the 8.5 E, which is a little wider than a 9D. A 9E would be a more significant jump in width. Works for some, but not all.

3. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Nice pic on the suede nonetheless. (Suede monks for my next venture??)

The lack of lighter monks was what held me back from getting mine from AE as well.
    I hear the bourbon fades to walnut however. Might be worth a try.

4. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Yes... you can never have too many suede!

I have some bourbon shoes, and if they're fading, it's a really slow fade. I still might scoop some up, but I'm a huge fan of walnut.

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Polish no, i'll hit them quick with my "dirty" horse hair brush, then I will use the cleaner/plastic brush kit thing that I got directly from Clarks. I never put the protectant spray on them at first, so there is some water spots and discoloration. But I don't polish them... that would be interesting lol

6. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Thank you. And don't get me wrong, they look great! Was just curious about the shade.

7. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

Look at his feet, they are bursting out of the shoe, he has a high instep and needs more volume. An 8.5E is very similar to 9D which does not appear to fit, a 9E should help close the laces and give him more room all around. In my experience the PA runs a little larger than the same size strand so that should help as well. The best answer is really for him to try a few sizes and see for himself.

I have a high instep as well and when I first purchased my strands in 10D they looked very similar. I exchanged them for 10E and am glad I did. They are a little roomy in the toe box but the overall fit is much better and the laces are much closer to closing. The truth is, the 5 last is not ideal for those of us with high insteps, but with RTW we make do.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I agree. When you get a bit wider, your toes might slide a bit farther forward, necessitating a shorter shoe. That'll allow your instep more room, more material in the eyelet stays, but not make your foot slide around.

9. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I have a buddy that on his first week with tans spilled milk all over them.
    Dickhead.

10. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

UGHHHHHH the 8 is my favorite last.

WHYYYYYY won't AE bring back the mora?!?!?!?! :violin:

11. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

When your instep prevents the laces from closing, it will also keep your feet from sliding forward. At least that has been my experience.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I don't have the Manistee belt, but I do have 3 wide basic dress belts (which, IMO, are more business casual to even straight-up casual). FWIW, 2 of them fit the exact same, and one has holes that start a bit further from the tip. AE makes its wide basic belts "tight" - that is, where I usually wear a belt on the 4th hole (2nd from the tightest), on AE's belts (in the same size as my others) I have to go to the middle hole or even one looser.

13. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Cow milk on calf suede... something just seems wrong about that...

14. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Guys - i really appreciate your feedback!

I've been wearing my strands all day and they feel great. Unfortunately i live in Australia soi cant get into a AE store, im going to have to wing it and order a pair of 8.5E
    thanks again!

15. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

You can still get the Mora. Paul Grangaard, AE's CEO did a Reddit session about 6 months ago and offered it without the special makeup price if you email him and mention his Reddit session: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...m_paul_grangaard_allen_edmonds_pres_ceo_amaa/ . Just search for "mora" and you'll find it. He's a pretty classy guy. He helped me get ahold of a pair of Wendells after they discontinued them. I wonder if you can special order them in suede? Knowing me, though, I'd probably ask for them in the orange football leather.[​IMG]Not sure if he'll do it for anyone, or just the guy who asked the question, but it's probably worth a try if you really want it.

16. mimogger

mimogger Member

What's the general opinion on the smoky gray McTavish's? I'm leaning towards getting them because they're pretty cheap and they'd fit the role of casual shoes well, but I'm unsure of how to wear them. The shoes seem fairly light in color, which would mean I could not really wear them for work (at least a tie everyday). I'm unsure of belt as well.

They seem so damn cool though. I also have my eyes on olive neumonks as well but these are a full 100 dollars cheaper.

17. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

18. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Speaking of giving shoes to those in need...

Look what I just received in the mail:

[​IMG]
    AE Yumas (foreground) and BB Bison Boots in the back.  

All thanks to the generosity of Cold Iron from this very thread!

(Cold Iron, I'll be donating something for Soles 4 Souls.  If AE does the honor-system thing online that they did last year, feel free to make use of it!)

1 person likes this.
  19. zchen

zchen Senior member

It looks like it will be live soon.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/Soles4soulsView?storeId=1&catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1
    "Any brand of gently worn men's, women's or children's shoes can be donated. No purchase necessary to donate shoes. Offer must be redeemed at the time of donation. Offer not redeemable for cash. Limit one $35 discount per pair of Allen Edmonds purchased. Offer only redeemable on Allen Edmonds shoes. Offer not valid on previous purchases. Not redeemable with any other offer. Discount not eligible on belts or other accessories. Offer only valid at participating Allen Edmonds Retail Stores, Outlet Stores, allenedmonds.com and select authorized dealers. Offer valid
    2/22/13-3/10/13. Only valid on current factory-second shoes at Allen Edmonds Outlet Stores. Soles4Souls Inc. is a 501(c)(3) recognized by the IRS and donating parties are eligible for tax advantages."

20. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Gentlemen, your thoughts on the AE patriot in black calf?
    I am looking for an black AE loafer to wear with light colored pants and chinos. I will not, however, get any corrected grain.
    Open to suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.