• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you guys think double monks are going out of style? I live in NYC and wanted to get a pair, but it seems I may be behind the trend on that. Should I just get a more traditional pair of oxfords instead?

Maybe not monk straps, but I think double monks were really trendy and they may have had their time. I'm probably a part of minority of people that believe this though.

Last edited:

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
The thing is, I don't really have any formal occasions. I'm 19, just a university student. Black shoes just seem boring to me and not as versatile. and I'm not entirely sure they are necessary.

Keep in mind that they'll come in handy for eventual job interviews, any senior formal type thing you might go to, and unfortunately any funeral you'll need to attend. And if you buy something nice like AEs and take care of them, they'll last you well through your 20s.

+ the weddings you will start getting invited to soon.
jay, i agree with you. i would go for another non-black shoe before black. weddings are getting more and more casual...my cousin wore sneakers to mine. (ok, maybe he shouldn't have.) as a college student, you will definitely see more use from, say, a pair of dark brown boots than black balmorals. depending on your intended field, a suit might not even be necessary for future interviews.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For comparison, I took a boot group shot.
Left to Right: Fifth Street (black shell), Dalton (chocolate brown calf), Fifth Street (burgundy shell), 744s (Horween 449 brown shell), Fifth Street (brown calf), Dalton (walnut shell), Dalton (walnut calf).

Great collection! Any other pics of the Chocolate Daltons? I'm thinking that may be my next AE purchase.

horsey shoes

Reaction score

Thanks for more pics of the 744's.

You guys are killing me, especially when these are available (in my size): http://www.ebay.com/itm/261125961386?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Those shell 5th Streets look amazing - are those MTO from AE?

Yes, the Fifth Streets were MTOs from the web gem they did about 2-3 months ago. I was going to get the Daltons in shell, but wanted something a little more dressy to pair with suits.

The only thing I can tell you about the 744s is to buy them and don't look back... at that auction price, it's a slam dunk decision.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of AE strands in walnut. I'll probably get either the park or fith ave in a dark brown or bourbon, and then a pair of dub monks in a brown. Do you think that's a fairly balanced shoe collection? I'm mostly wearing them pretty casually, maybe with the ocasional grey suit.

Some have suggested a black shoe, and while a black cap toe balmoral such as the Park Avenue is still a good shoe to have, I agree with sqroot3 that you'd probably be better off with a less formal dark brown or burgundy shoe in the meantime because:

• You said you'll mostly wear them casually, and it's hard to wear balmorals and black shoes casually, especially a shoe that's both (black balmoral).
  • You're 19. My "dress shoes" at that age were a hideous pair of brown Timberland loafers. My guess is that if you own a pair of dark brown or burgundy AEs, they'll be more than passable at any sort of formal event you attend in the next few years because the expectations for someone your age are really low. I'm not suggesting you barely meet those expectations, but I'm keeping that in mind when I think about shoes you'll use most for daily wear.

You mentioned double monks and asked if they were in style. I think they are, but I'd be sure about them before you get a pair. The walnut Strands are a statement, so you might consider a more basic style such as a dark brown Delray or Kenilworth (not sure I'd recommend the Leeds for a 19 year old) for your second pair. A chukka boot might also fit your needs. If you want to add some black balmorals for formal occasions, great, but just realize that they'll probably not be an everyday shoe for you.

Last edited:

pudman43

Reaction score
Question for anyone who owns both the Delray and Lasalle: which is sleeker? Looking to maybe pick up another dark brown blucher and would prefer a sleeker, more streamlined shoe. Thx in advance guys

J

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for anyone who owns both the Delray and Lasalle: which is sleeker? Looking to maybe pick up another dark brown blucher and would prefer a sleeker, more streamlined shoe. Thx in advance guys
J

They are both on the same last, so the "sleekness" isn't really different between them. However, the stitching on the LaSalle is more casual than the Delray, so it is safe to say that the Delray is the dressier of the two. Bear in mind that they have different insoles as well (if that matters to you). The Delray has the traditional natural leather insole, while the LaSalle has a leather covered foam insole.

khe86

Reaction score
Suggestions on which of the following shoes I should get? I ordered from BB the AE fifth avenue and it's not quite right for me, so I'm going to exchange them.

From what I see from Brooks Brother's website, I have the following options:

AE Park in Black, Brown, Walnut.
Strand in Black, Brown, Walnut (I already own the walnut).
Mccallister in Black, Burgundy.

So far I have the following dress shoes (very limited collection, I know):
A pair of BB black captoe oxford (Italian maker, so idk who it's by)
Walnut Strand
AE Fairfax in Merlot

I'm leaning towards the Mccallister in Black or Bungundy at this point because the cap on the fifth avenue was not to my liking (too forward, which makes my feet look stubby), and the cap on the park is similar to the one on fifth avenue.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suggestions on which of the following shoes I should get? I ordered from BB the AE fifth avenue and it's not quite right for me, so I'm going to exchange them. 

Walnut Strand
AE Fairfax in Merlot

I'm leaning towards the Mccallister in Black or Bungundy at this point because the cap on the fifth avenue was not to my liking (too forward, which makes my feet look stubby), and the cap on the park is similar to the one on fifth avenue.

If you don't like the captoe on the Fifth avenue I doubt you will like the one on the Park Avenue. If you are leaning towards the McCallister I would do Burgundy instead of black solely because I think a black brogued shoe is kind of contradictory (Black being formal and brogueing being casual). In addition, you don't really need too many black shoes. Just one pair for the dressiest of occasions.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Walnut Strand
AE Fairfax in Merlot

If you don't like the captoe on the Fifth avenue I doubt you will like the one on the Park Avenue. If you are leaning towards the McCallister I would do Burgundy instead of black solely because I think a black brogued shoe is kind of contradictory (Black being formal and brogueing being casual). In addition, you don't really need too many black shoes. Just one pair for the dressiest of occasions.

I agree here. Also, keep in mind that if you have the Fairfax in merlot, you may already have a shoe that fills the niche you would use for the McAllister in Burgundy. Yes, I know that the Fairfax is a wholecut, but it has a wingtip perforation pattern nevertheless (albeit more mild than the McAllister). Similarly, the merlot and burgundy are close enough to be worn with similar styles and occasions. I may be wrong but with a small collection that you are looking to add more shoes to, you may want to go with something that fills a different gap.

khe86

Reaction score
Moneywellspent: your train of thought is why I went with the brown 5th avenue to get some color differentiation. I'm thinking black Mccallisters because the Mccallister in burgundy is similar to my fairfax in style and color, but Winston is right that black and brogues are a little contradictory. How would someone wear the black Mccallister?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends on your profession, but the bolded statement holds for me.

I think a brogued black shoe can make sense, or at least more sense than something like an un-brogued light brown cap toe balmoral. I do not think I will own a black brogue any time soon, however.

Last edited:

stafa

Reaction score
How are the Cliftons? I need a black shoe that I can wear with suits and business casual. I don't know if I want to buy a black oxford like Park Ave because I feel that it's too conservative and I don't wear suits often. I want something that has a hint of sleekness.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moneywellspent: your train of thought is why I went with the brown 5th avenue to get some color differentiation. I'm thinking black Mccallisters because the Mccallister in burgundy is similar to my fairfax in style and color, but Winston is right that black and brogues are a little contradictory. How would someone wear the black Mccallister?

It depends on your profession, but the bolded statement holds for me.
I think a brogued black shoe can make sense, or at least more sense than something like an un-brogued light brown cap toe balmoral. I do not think I will own a black brogue any time soon, however.

It sounds like I fall into the same realm as Papa Doble. I would never have a need for a black brogue. I think his comment above about it depending on your profession. If you are in a profession where black shoes are the norm, or at least considered "proper", then the black McAllister would be a great way to throw in some variety. The only black shoe I could ever need (unless I switch careers) is a black Park Avenue, and it will struggle to see more than one or two wears per year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads