1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

cappucino cordovan? How much different is this color from the dark brown strand?

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Back before they switched from size chart #1 to size chart #3 and nuked availability in my width, I had an all-navy Neumok in my shopping cart and was about to pull the trigger. $199 Webgem beats out $260 stock color any day. :D

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The webgem pricing is pretty sweet. Call an AE store, and I'm willing to bet they can order the stock configuration for the webgem price. AE can still do any 5 last width, you just have to pay extra for it. That may or may not be worth it to you.

4. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Hi, new to Styleforum as of today!

I'm curious when you say you have the "Bourbon samples". What do you mean by "samples"? And how did you come about acquiring them?

Thanks!

Also, I have acquired 11 pairs of AE's over the past 12 months (first job out of college and went a little overboard). However, I didn't find my perfect sizing until just recently and have several pairs of shoes that don't fit me quite well and are causing pain in my toes. So, I'm not sure if this is the right place to do this (I tried craigslist already), but if anybody is looking for a lightly-used pair of Walden's (burgundy), Lasalle's (black), or Milford's (black) in 10.5D, please let me know! I'll try Ebay as well, although I've never put anything on there before.

Great forum. Love reading the tips and looking at everyone's great shoes. Excited to post a picture of my collection at some point!

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yes, your pictures put the idea in my head, and seeing them in person almost sealed the deal. Reading across-the-board spectacular reviews on the AE website also helps. The chili somehow looks especially nicer on these shoes. Definitely on my purchase list.
    You have PM. Next two shoes on my list are definitely the Chili Waltons and the Brown Cordovan Strand (you guys can have all the Cappuccino; leave the brown for me). I'm going to see if I can wait for a sale, but I was so impressed with these two (actually, the Cordovan Strands been on the radar for a while), that I might buy sooner rather than later. And also just go for firsts. Norwich also looks great in Cordovan, but I can't wear the 2 last.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Cappuccino is lighter. The Cappuccino looks kind of like coffee ice cream to me (or coffee with lots of cream). And also, to me, the Brown has a little bit of a greenish tint to it.

I personally like the Brown, but the Cappuccino has lots more fans, I think.

Edit: Actually, I am referring to "regular brown" Cordovan Strand, or the kind currently on the website. Were you referring to Dark Brown calf or cordovan?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Ah, yes, the natural welt, too.

9. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

Digging up an oldie, but a goodie...

Cappuccino McA in the middle, brown shell strand to left and walnut shell strand to right.

[​IMG]

10. hybrid

hybrid Member

Just picked up a pair of Strands, and after a few hours of wear around the office I've noticed they are creasing in front of the toe cap. I know creasing is inevitable in the area behind the toecap, but I was under the impression that creasing in front of the cap is indicative of a problem. They fit very comfortably, and I was sized by the AE store, so I wouldn't think they are an improper fit. Insight?[​IMG]

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Sitting here with my first pair of Aldens on right now which just came tonight. Chukkas (of course!) in Ravello ... And love them. But the truffle (AKA:cappucino) is outstanding to say the least.

12. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

My new Daltons in walnut calf (seconds):

[​IMG]

I'm very pleased with them and can't find any faults other than possibly a few dark marks on the interior leather.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

You got Alden! Excellent pick-up gettin Ravello. I'm on the other end with Alden shell and previously owning a pair of Cambridges. Do you have the AE with the "new" finish? How do they compare with Alden's finishing gloss?

14. jch1

jch1 Senior member

Is this an old advertisement or is this for the upcoming release? If it's for the upcoming release, MORE INFO PLEASE!

15. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

16. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

This is an old advertisement from last year. I found it via google image search.

17. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

At this stage, all the creases are minor. If the creasing in front of the toe cap gets worse, then that would be a cause for concern. Contrary to popular belief, the AE staff do not always perform proper fittings. Like many shoe stores, AE focuses on heel to toe measurements which can leave you a little short.

18. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I agree... I've measured as 4 different sizes by 3 different salespeople. You need to make the determination for yourself what fits you.

19. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

:slayer:

Those look great! Makes me even more excited for my Long Branches!

20. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Looks great, hope you enjoy them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.