Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imainish

imainish Senior member

For comaprison:

Bespoke (from the HARDCORE Bespoke only thread):
    [​IMG]

AE Rutledge:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this comparison really points to what AE has accomplished with this last.

My question is, and perhaps I missed it, why isn't there more chatter of appreciation for the Rultledge (and the other shoes on the 3-333 last)? Personally, this is last I have always been hoping for from AE and am very appreciative that they brought it out.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Personally, I wanted to be excited about the Harrison and Rutledge, but find both to be kind of meh. I'm not a fan of how far the welts extend out with the wheeling or how close the captoe line is to the toe. I think the old 1 last shoes (Evanston and Soho) are a much better attempt at a more modern last.

3. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

I agree that the 3-333 last is quite a step up from their usual lasting. I love the shape and colour of my Rutledges, though I dislike how fragile the leather is.

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I think most chatter regarding the 3-333 last has been about creasing recently. I personally don't like the brogueing on the Rutledge.

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Personally I am waiting to see more. I have the Flatirons and they are great, but they don't seem to get any love around here.

There were rumors of a bit-loafer this fall which hasn't materialized. The Haight is only available in one color, which is limiting. No shell options in the 3-333 at all. Maybe with time

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think the Flat-Iron would be a huge hit for AE if they did not have that medallion on them. Feel the same way about the Parkway if the stitching were not so pronounced. I like the shape of the 3-333 last, but not the styles that AE has built on it.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I have to agree here. I liked the idea of both of these shoes, but their delivery fell a bit short. First impressions mean alot, and while I know I may be reaching a bit here, my first impression when I saw the pictures of the Harrison were that it reminded me of an elongated bird bill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Strange, I know, but that was my first impression and now I can't help it!

As for the Rutledge, I agree here too. The welt extends out so far that my first impression of it was that it looked like a cemented sole. I have a pair of beater cemented sole dress shoes that I am waiting to fall apart before I trash them, and the wheeled bond welt on them looks alot like the Rutledge.

8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Since we are talking about the progressiveness of the 333 last. A comparison pic of a GG Cambridge, AE Harrison, and Ferragamo Fable:

[​IMG]

I think AE has come a long way, albeit there are some kinks. As I had to return the Harrison due to the uneven heel causing pain...

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

re: the 333 last. i'm actually very excited about the flatiron, especially the medallion toe. same with the neumora. i haven't had the chance to try any 333's on yet, but i have high hopes. AE has really been killing it lately.

10. MoneyWellSpent

Now that picture could change my view on the Harrison. They look excellent here. Sorry you had to return them!

11. imainish

imainish Senior member

Excellent comparison....thank you!

Agreed! I have the Neumora, Parkway, and Rutledge models and looking seriously at the Larchmont. I really hope they bring out some models in both cordovan and suede on this last.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

333 just looks awkward to me.

I still think the 8 last is AE's best.

13. MoneyWellSpent

I hate to be impatient and post this in the AE thread, but I am not getting any responses. I was hoping some of you could check out these boots I spotted at Brooks Brothers and give some opinions on what I said about them. I need a pair of shoes with a specific application, and these are on my list of considerations. I need some shoes to wear with jeans during the fall/winter on weekends. I also want them to be useful for foul weather days year round. So essentially they will only get worn on weekends 6 months out of the year, and the occasional days when heavy rain is forecasted. As for AE's that I have considered for this purpose, I am looking at the new Rapid City (1st choice), or perhaps the Black Hills. I am not overly enthusiastic about the boot offerings from AE right now for this specific application. I don't require them to be boots, but I will be buying them with the expectation that they will get somewhat "heavy" use rather than "careful" office use. I would appreciate some input! Thanks!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/321339/opinions-on-these-boots-from-brooks-brothers

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I tried on the Flatiron at my local menswear / shoe store. It was probably the best fitting AE shoe I have put on my foot, so I guess my foot was made for the 333 last. I liked the Flatiron sitting on the display table, but it was kind of borderline. But I loved how it looked on my foot. I am tempted as this Flatiron at the local store was in Bourbon and I really like that color.

They had the Parkway in the dark brown, but I wasn't a big fan of the pronounced stitching on the toe - just a personal thing. It fit great like the Flatiron, but I personally like the looks of the Flatiron much more than the Parkway.

Chris

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the Black Hills and I think they would be a good choice for your needs. Treat the leather with some AE Leather Lotion and they should be good to go. The Rough Collection leather is a bit tougher so they should hold up for your needs - but I wouldn't go hiking in an rocky area with them. The lug soles are great for wet days. I usually wear mine only in the fall/winter with jeans/khakis/cords.

I have some AE Cascades I wear on weekends in the fall/winter. It is a lower boot so that might interest you.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.